Best stoner/hippie movie

Discussion in 'Hip Awards' started by the man in me, May 7, 2005.

1. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

I Love You Alice B. Toklas

"You! Go on a diet!"
    "But all I eat is grass and acid..." :)

2. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

Dazed & Confused, but i've only seen a few stoner movies, so i don't really have many to choose from.
    peace & love.

3. dayafterpuberty

dayafterpuberty Member

Grass - its a documentary, but I still like it.
    Requim for a Dream
    Train Spotting

4. Varuna

Varuna Senior Member

Blue Planet - The 8 hour BBC documentary about undersea life. It is beautiful regardless of whether or not you are high.

Baraka - Just sublime. A wordless, balanced glimpse of the highs and lows of the human spirit.

Hair - Singing Hippies, you've got to love that. Captures the idealism of the hippie movement and then puts it right back up against the issues of the day (The war and the draft, racism, classism, societal resistance to a conscious, idealism-based lifestyle, etc.). The soundtrack is pretty good too.

Woodstock - More singing Hippies, the non-fiction version. Musically, it runs the full spectrum between truly inspired and just too stoned. As a documentary, it is a hopeful reminder that Hippie idealism is actually practical. Peace, Love and Music can actually transform an unpredictably large crowd (as in, no one was prepared to meet the needs of 300,000 people for simple things like food, toilets, medical care, transportation, etc.) into a peaceful, functioning, celebratory event.

I am a big fan of the "Mind Blowing" stoner movies, some of the best I have seen are:

Big Fish - A fantastic story about the importance of fantastic stories and the interconnected effects that the events of those fantastic stories have on other people's lives. This movie is as deep and funny and fun as you want it to be.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - This is the perfect double feature to go with Big Fish. They tell the same story in exactly opposite ways. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have no story about themselves whatsoever, they don't even know which of them is Rosencrantz or Guildenstern, and they have no idea about the interconnected effects of the events in which they take part. Just like Big Fish, this movie is as deep and funny and fun as you want it to be.

I Heart Huckabees - "How am I not myself?"Existential detectives are hired to figure out, and teach you, the meaning of your life. Freakin' brilliant. Would make a good double feature with Harold and Maude.

5. QueenOfCarrotFlowers

QueenOfCarrotFlowers Member

I'll have to agree with Varuna, I usually stick to documentaries or intelligent films when I'm stoned rather than the movies that seem to exploit potheads and make them all seem like burnouts. I've always loved pot because it really makes me zone out and think about shit, where as when I'm not stoned my bipolar tendencies take over and it makes it hard to think clearly.

So of course my favorite things to watch are:
    Naked Lunch (Burroughs), Fear and Loathing (Thompson) and documentaries on the history channel about politics, war, differen't cultures, serial killers, etc.etc.

6. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

The Trip
    More
    Easy Rider

7. Moonjava

Moonjava Senior Member

DAZED & CONFUSED
    Hands Down.... great movie!!

8. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

'clerks' and 'a clockwork orange'... the latter of which is very freaky when imapired... very

9. GraffitiSoul

GraffitiSoul Member

Waking Life, Dogma, Half Baked(obviously), The Wall, Belly, How High, and Alice

10. _see_

_see_ Member

oooh so many
    dazed an confused (as so many have said)
    loved easy rider so much watched it while i was stoned and incredibly pissed on wine

11. Jes

Jes Member

The wall

12. lenore

lenore Member

empire records, human traffic, alice in wonderland, the disney robin hood and its a fairly new one i thinks its gonna b a stoner classiic....spirted away...crazy

13. moecheeseplz

moecheeseplz Member

does dark side of the moon synced up with wizard of oz count?
    if not i say either fear and loathing or beavus and butthead do america haha

14. dayafterpuberty

dayafterpuberty Member

I dont see why it wouldnt be.

15. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Dazed and Confused is the best

16. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

Dazed & confused, Half Baked, Up in Smoke, Fear & Loathing In Lasvagas !!!!

17. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Easy Rider

18. soccergirl

soccergirl Member

Half Baked and Easy Rider.

19. Psychedelic Moss

Psychedelic Moss Member

yellow submarine

20. paradigm

paradigm Member

Around the Fire - All about life on tour.