Is it possible to be conservative and be a Hippy?

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by ienjoytea, May 1, 2005.

1. smurphette

smurphette Member

again as i said, it does not change anything.

Maybe you would care to explain the evil role of the fertilizer companies in , say, Korean war? do you also claim we should have allowed the communists to take over?
    i totally agree, and i blame the government (because it is the government that is supposed to care about our interests, not Haliburton). and when someone complains about this but then turns around and advocates more taxes and more power to the federal government i call it hipocrecy. which is pretty much all i said originally.

ok me too.
    cheers and dont feel frustrated, i guess most of us have opinions that won't easily change because of just a few internet posts.
    i read your link about private contractors and such, it didnt change my opinions much either (except of course that i do not like it when they spend our tax money in a way that is not reported or anything).
    i'm not a real conservative though, only about economic things. about all the other stuff i am as liberal as they come...

2. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Back to the original question:

Can you be a hippy and a conservative?

Can you be a fish and a bird at the same time? No, but there are plenty of birds here that are trying to drown themselves....

3. smurphette

smurphette Member

Nah they are just diving to catch the fish :)

4. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Oh, so the conservative agenda is evangelism? I see, as long as you admit it.

5. smurphette

smurphette Member

strangely it wasnt me who did the evangelizing here.

6. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

I say yes just because I feel like it.

7. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Huh?

8. smurphette

smurphette Member

Read the discussion if you wish. I was never trying to convert anybody. I stated my opinion, and then Lick-whatever started calling me naive and otherwise preaching.
    If you like I can give you some nice links and references too. But I'm not gonna try to force my views on anyone.

9. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

You only highlight your own closed mindedness smurphette by calling my attempt to inform your youthful and demonstrably misinformed notions "Preaching".

Prodding you to go an learn about the nature of US warfare and the big money interests which advance it and are directly served by it is not "evangelising". But then to one who resolutely insists on avoiding the ugly reality of corporate/government interconnection and interdependence which fuels the capitalist system, I suppose any confrontation with false assumptions will be dismissed as "preaching".

By all means, avoid becoming informed, we wouldn't want to disturb your cozy status quo.

10. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Ignorance is bliss....

I love to eat licorice.... I wonder what Belgian licorice tastes like? Ooops, off topic... The sheep, or herd, mob, status quo, droids, automatons, yes-men, and apathetic.... they will always vote with the crowd, the nail that stands out gets hammered...
    Reminds me of a column of animals obliviously entering an abbatoir, and though some have a bad feeling about it, refuse to buck the trend and make waves.
    Baaaaah Baaaaaah, Mooooo Moooooooo
    The mob rules!

11. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

But then you responded to my response, saying something about "catching" fish... Hmm, to me, when you try to "ensnare" or "catch" someone, it starts sounding a little evangelical, know what I mean?

12. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

The left and right can be viewed as on a continuum with Communists at one extreme and neo-Nazis and Fascists at the other. It goes without saying that Communists and Fascists have much in common compared to those in the middle, who generally believe in civil liberties and freedom.

So, back to the original question, can one be a conservative and a hippy?

First, it's necessary to define the hippies. They were a bunch of intellectuals initially who rebelled against the values of the larger society. They opposed the Vietnam War, the increased mechanization of society, and conformity to the arbitrary values of society (e.g., sexual); they supported the use of drugs, especially LSD, for mind-expanding purposes and artistic expression; and they believed in social equality in the economic and social spheres. Over time the hippies became a mass movement and many of the intellectuals initially involved became disenchanted with the lack of ideals among the newer "hippies" who, to them, were just looking to get high and find an excuse to loaf around.

The hippies were a youth movement (primarily) that rebelled against the values of society and believed in social equality.

Mainstream leftists tried to distance themselves from the hippies because of the drug use promoted by the hippies. Drug use, especially LSD, was central to the so-called hippie movement, and mainstream leftists felt they would lose legitimacy by associating themselves with the hippies. In addition, there was a reaction among the larger society, which felt the hippies and their values to be a destabilizing force (along with the civil rights and feminist movements). This reaction led to a growth in conservatism culminating in the double term of Ronald Reagan in the '80s.

Clearly, the hippies are not conservatives. The conservatives have tended to view society as hierarchical and have fought to preserve the values of society.

However, not everyone can be absolutely leftist or absolutely rightist, so there can be some hippies with conservative values. Why should hippies be clones of one another? They would then be at least as guilty as the conservatives they criticize.

I don't consider myself a hippy because I don't believe as many hippies do in the victimology of minorities nor in the belief that corporations have all of the politicians in puppet strings and thus are the primary cause of most of our problems. I don't believe in equality in an absolute sense because I believe we are all gifted in different ways, and so some are destined to be richer and poorer than others.

13. taxrefund90

taxrefund90 Member

it would be hard, but i think its possible

14. smurphette

smurphette Member

LSD: I totally agree, I just think that the main left/right direction is totaly screwed.

Little_Dove: ok, that was a joke :) I guess it may have sounded like that. I wanted to say that the division is not quite so sharp as between air and water :) kinda what LSD also wrote above.

LickHERish: I was just responding to Little_Dove :) Actually I have no problems with a bit of persuasion/preaching/enlighement :) but even if you are better informed, I do not think that is the reason we disagreed... actually in our case it was more about definitions, but also, it seems that most professional economists would not agree with you on a lot of things either...

15. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Populist economists who defend myopic neo-liberal corporate hegemony are a dime a dozen. The truth of the system's dependence upon brutality, repression and exploitation isn't lessended because you can roll out hordes of economist clones all spouting the same rhetoric. One could equally cite similarly credentialed economists who have broken that mental straightjacket and have the intellectual honesty to acknowledge the unsustainability of our current status quo.

If you consider yourself in any way a hippy, you'd be out investigating their analyses instead of apparently seeking to insulate and defend bandwagon preconceptions of legitimacy for a system rooted in corruption and violation of fundamental human rights and liberties.

16. mhr

mhr Member

3 types of hippies....

uninformed
    informed by television, media and friends
    informed by their own involvement

Uninformed hippies should never give advice on political, social and religious views and should stick to their drugs and stay away from society. Their views lack any importance because they have no basis.

Informed by television hippies are just posers who want to believe they are involved, but in reality have no real foundation for their beliefs. They spew out a lot of interesting sounding stuff, but it all lacks any substance because the information origin is unreliable at best.

Informed hippies who get their information from being involved and active in the subjects they are interested in are worthy of giving advice to others. They know first hand about the subject and can make valid assessments about it. They know the truth about society and are able to make reasonable judgments. They aren't interested in the fantasy world so many hippies believe can happen. These hippies are realists and want to put their efforts toward something that realistically can happen.

So, depending on which hippy you are, will determine your ability to be a conservative hippy. I'll help by saying it isn't the first two!