Is it possible to be conservative and be a Hippy?

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by ienjoytea, May 1, 2005.

1. ienjoytea

ienjoytea Member

I think it is...I mean the main idea about conservatism is self-reliance...and the the most limited government in your life..Maybe I'm crazy.

Does anyone agree?

By the way...I'm mad none of the avatars have glasses...I guess it's time to get contacts...Lousy government

2. Mui

Mui Senior Member

at the same time though, thy push for less regulation on businesses and corporations... in return those corporations end up controlling the government.. therefore both being pro-corporation anti-government and being anti-corporation pro-governmnt are both equally as bad and lead to the exact same tyranny

IMO, its time to make up some new words and stop using the "left-right" scale that is inaccurate and to stop using "conservative vs liberal" bullshit... your beliefs are just that, your beliefs, shouldnt be lumped into some group that is ultimately wrong.

3. Bend

Bend Member

Nope I disagree.....they are contradictory. Enclosed in the idea of 'Hippy' is a somewhat disdainful view of Authority, Bureacraucy and Government which are the Backbones of Conservatism. In short the only 'Freedoom' Conservatism can offer (Because I accept what you say about limited Government) is Freedom to obey.

Ben

4. ienjoytea

ienjoytea Member

I think liberalism and beauracracy go more hand in hand...I don't know..I agree with the labeling though. Believe whatever you want..but you don't want to be a big contradiction or have people calling you a hippycrite..I mean hippocrite

5. gointocalifornia

gointocalifornia Member

this just in...it's possible to be a combination of anything

6. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

A hippy is all for love and peace, right?

Our world is filled with hate and war.

Liberals (and hippies) want to do as much as they can to change that.

Conservatives, by definition, want things to stay the same *or even progress back to what they once were*.

So no, it is pretty much impossible to be a conservative hippy, at least if you consider the mainstream definitions (not that those definitions aren't already whacked and pointless, as Mui pointed out).

7. ienjoytea

ienjoytea Member

Hey you...that's not necessarily true...I mean trust me no one will look at you the same. People get pretty damn upset. Politics means a lot in this world...It's a nice thought to think that we can be anything we want but it aint that easy

8. Tommy

Tommy Member

I too think that conservative doesn't go well with the entire concept of Hippies. Conservatives aren't really known for their support of free love and drug use, wich are two of the most important things in being a Hippy. So I don't think the two match. very well...

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that used to be the main idea. now the main idea is religion and money, and conservatives are all about big government anymore

10. ienjoytea

ienjoytea Member

so what is limited government and self-reliance called these days?

11. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

how is this a love and sex thread again?

12. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

i think not being conservative but just not making love all the time is a way to say it. if thats what ur saying. I am a hippy i guess yoiu could say, i am all for free drug use and free love. but when did love cost something? you can do it with whoever you want. its not against the law. i am a person who loves to love.(ask any of my friends haha) but i dont go around sleeping with guys but that doesnt make me not a hippy. I think it depends on the person you are. if you want to make love, then do it, if you dont then dont. conservative, idk if that fits a hippy at all. just believe in free love and believe in watever you want. you choose ur own government. haha

13. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

there a difference between social and gov conservatism...

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i guess that would be libertarianism

15. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

I'm a registered Republican and I support the legalization of drugs. I also admire conservative writers such as Ilana Mercer and Justin Raimondo. I visit conservative Web sites regularly, because I find conservatives to be pretty intelligent about issues involving immigration, race and other things involving politically correct taboos.

Of course, I do not consider myself a hippy. I am independent and found this site through my interest in drug use and music.

16. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

I do agree, though, that the main conflict between hippies and conservatives is over their view of authority. Conservatives have respect for authority, whereas hippies are more cynical about it. Conservatives wish to preserve cultural values, whereas hippies agitate for cultural changes.

17. ienjoytea

ienjoytea Member

Good stuff.....Nice post

18. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Well... I'm about as liberal as they come but I seem pretty conservative when I come on here. But then again, I just want people to take responsibility for theirselves or face consequences. IE: prochoice but 1 non-rape abortion allowed, after a 2nd mandatory tubes tied; legalized marijuana but doubled insurance rates for smokers of any substance, any drug other than pot use warrants mandatory child protection services to step in and take children indefinatly, child abusers having to wear something akin to the scarlet letter... I guess that would make me liberal with a conservative twist (because conservatives love getting in on everyone's private lives), but I still consider myself a hippie. I'm just a hippie who won't do drugs and doesn't support the idea of free love (sexually, emotionally bring it on). ;)

19. Amanda's Shadow

Amanda's Shadow Flower Child

I second this. 'Hippies' seem to have more optomism than most, especially in regards to their being able to change the planet for the better. The word connects in peoples minds to people who believe they can fix the world's problems (whether this is right or wrong.)

A conservative wants to conserve things how they are and usually fight for the richer small portion of the population. Nothing conservatives do falls in line with anything that the 'hippy' types beleive.

peace love and laughter
    Amanda

20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

neocon = racist, sexist, & classist

...and there aint nothin' hippee about that.

you should rethink your life.