Depression and Relationships: Useful Info

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by walkoflife, Apr 26, 2005.

1. rasprophecy

rasprophecy Member

fuck anti depressants... smoke a blunt... anti depressants are for those who can no longer tolerate reality, its a bitch way out... And will only fabricate your problems, not fix them.

2. AlawlessLulu69420

AlawlessLulu69420 Member

Not long ago i was diagnosed with cyclothymic disorder...its like bi-polar but not as heavy. you go up and down with it. I started taking prozac but that was shit to my head. so i switched over to lithuim and its ok. I feel so fake on it though. like not me. sure i feel no pain or i dont cry or feel lonely but i sit and i feel nothing. i dunno but i think i like crying and the pain. i cry then i go into deep thoughts for hours not even blinking. just my mind disappears. i went off it for a while and i started getting REALLY emotional looking at the comments this girl gave to him and i got really hurt and angry (this is not like me) and i start to cry because thoughts run through my head that im not trying hard enough to please him. i attempted 3 times before but havent done it in a while...thought abuot all the ways to do it..but never done it. i got back on lithium and was back to fake old me. i dont know i think medicine covers you up and brings out that empty feeling. like you have no hurtful feelings anymore. but you have no thoughts about suicide which is good

3. toto87

toto87 Member

me and my fiance have been together merely half a year. we have been thru so many rough times already together, right now we are seperated from each other because violence became involved in one of our arguments and i left for awhile. we are both diagnosed as bipolar and we had failed to take our medications. he is irrational and irresponsible, but i love him. im taking time to find myself so i can successfully piece our relationship back together. i just cant seem to decide if it is going to be worth it...

thank you for the links, perhaps there will be answers there.

-toto

4. Faye

Faye Member

Yes try the natural healing methods. Reiki is great so is yoga and meditation. Also exerise exerise exerise!!!!! I can't stress that enough it gives you a natural high. Talk theapy is great too. I have been in and out of talk therapy for about 6 years and it is the ONLY thing that has no side effects or addiction risks that has helped me. If you aren't in therapy I strong suggest starting. BUT if you decide that talk thearpy is they way to keep in mind that it is not a quick fix none of these options are thearpists will not fix you put they will help you learn to help yourself and soon you should be able to cope with out the crazy meds.

5. youngexperimenter

youngexperimenter Member

i myself am clinically depressed. i have medication and am supposed to take it regularly. when i dodnt have my pills...im a wreck and am very easy to upset...i feel badly for my boyfriend because i know im not easy to deal with. but he stays with me and tries to help me as much as he can. i will love him forever for it. if youre in a relationship and are suffering from depression your partner should care enough to help you get through your problems.

6. nolifer

nolifer Member

well i'm finally out of depression but i still fell kinda empty because i can't find a GF

7. kendrianna

kendrianna Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have dealt w/ depression for a long time and its really hard to pull yourself out of it.theres a movie that ive watched thats called What The Bleep Do We Know its alot of talking but makes alot of sense.Its about thinking positive and how negative thoughts can take over you and alot more interesting stuff.

I got so depressed that I got really emotional,irritated easily,and my relationship w/ my bofriend has turned into a negative than it being a positive.One night I took some roll and when i tried to go to sleep my throat started closing up and i felt like i was dying.my b/f rushed me to the hospitol,and they said it was a panic attack gave me some atavan and put me to sleep.Every day sense then I dealt w/ panic attacks.I dont believe in taking medications not even for headaches,and i have migranes.In this situation I've tried telling my self it was just in my head or just laying perfectly still when it happens but its way too intense so I had to be put on med. to feel half way norm.I am prescribed to an anti-depressant that i take at night,and xanax,which sucks b/c i am completly tired all the time.I dont enjoy life to its fullest anymore and had to quit smokin green and drinking b/c it makes me feel weird.Ive always smoked when i felt depressed and now i cant,it sucks,lol.But now I guess the positive out of the situation is I dont ever wish to be dead b/c ive felt like Ive almost died a bunch and all u want to do when feel like your going to die is live.

8. xxlilangelxx

xxlilangelxx Member

i have seasonal affective disorder i get depressed as soon as summer is over because im not receiving enough sunlight, but lately i have been more depressed then ever and it's still summer, i have beenwith my boyfriend for a few years and we are crazy for eachother but lately we keep argueing and braking up he just doesnt trust me anymore and i don't know why he keeps thinking i've cheated but there is no way i can do that im not that type of person and i love him, god knows what i will do when summer is over my seasonal affective disorder will just make me even worse then i already am and i dont know how i will cope, does anyone have any advice for me?

9. tribfan

tribfan Member

@xxlilangelxx...

a friend of mine had a similar problem a few years ago, he decided to try and fill his time during the off seasons by joining a gym, swimming 3-4 times a week, he volunteered for a group that helped young-offenders and stuff like that, so that during these times he got a buzz out of the fact that he was getting fitter,leaner and helping others at the same time, instead of relying on the weather to lift him out of himself.
    not sure if it works for everyone,
    best wishes

10. repro-bait

repro-bait a real reprobate.

this made me laugh.......perhaps it will you.........

an old man sits alongside his wife and says in his quavering voice.......
    "whatever happened to our sexual relations"

the wife is quiet for a full minute, then she replies.......
    "i don't know. we didn't even get a christmas card from them this year"

11. CarpeOminous

CarpeOminous Member

I get depressed quite often and it is hard not to bring the relationship down into it. I personally think that depression is better taken care of naturally and without drugs. drugs are just furthering your belief that you have no control over your life. I have pulled my self out of a depressed state all all my own several times with out the help of medication and yes it is hard sometimes but I don't want to feel like I have to rely on any outside forces to make feel good about my self. Just remind your self that you are strong and the only person in charge of your life is you! I know it sounds like piffle but it's true and it works!

12. walkoflife

walkoflife Some Assembly Required Super Moderator

I have to agree with you on that. Perhaps weighing ourselves down with useless drugs like Wellbuterin or Zoloft doesn't help get us out of the doldrums of depression. Sometimes the best medicine for myself is to be around other uplifting people or join a group.

13. jrnyman

jrnyman kermit

I was diagnosed with all kinds of things... ADD, depression, manic depression, OCD... you get the idea. I've been on all kinds of SSRI's and some others like welbutrin and a trycyclic here and there, adderal, ritalin and they all ripped my shit up bad. I was suicidal on nortriptyline which is an older trycyclic. All of this stuff went away when I let go of all of the things I thought I was supposed to be. I make it sound a little easier than it is but once I stopped forcing myself to be a christian, a moral contributor to society, a proper boyfriend (or at the time fiance) , I found myself healthy and happy.

Honestly I think, and my experience backs this up, that depression is simply you telling yourself something is wrong with your life not with you. Everybody wants you to think that there's something wrong with you, the church wants you to go to hell, they get more power and control. People will do anything to save their soul.... The medical establishment wants you to be crazy, they get more money that way. You haven't got anything if you haven't got your health.... Educational system wants you to be unruly and delinquent because then we can create more automatons and send them off to college and fuel the fucking insanity we call normal existence. Who ever thought that workign 40-60 hours a week to get a family house garage full of cars and a triple bypass was a good idea???

I think that these diagnoses are the sign of a sane mind. Of course people are breaking down the world in which we live is completely insane. And so of course this world is going to label people who break away from that as insane. What's sane to the crazy?

I look at my parents and all of the older people I know and see all of the pieces of themselves that they've given up to hold up debt and that bizzarre dream and I realized that marital, societal and moral suicide will kill you as surely as a bullet to the brain, they just take a little longer.

14. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

funny things, as actually i plan on being a psychiatrist, but i'm not very greedy, and i understand what pills have done to so many, but i would really like to work in california, because i would be able to prescribe medical marijuana which i feel is best medication one can recieve, dont even try arguing that point, because bud can alleviate anything.

15. chinquapin

chinquapin Member

Anxiety and Depression. I have fought it and I am willing to discuss on PMs. I am happy and doing well now with little ill effect at all.

16. earthling2

earthling2 Member

I'm still with this boyfriend, and he's getting bad again from drinking alchohol, abusing his medication, and I don't know what happen to it, it was gone in 2 days. He's living with me, and I don't want to call the cop to get him out, and it's getting worse, he has to go to detox, and hasn't yet. What to do? What to do? What to do? They'll take him to prison, if that happens, and I'm worried all of the time, I cry, but what can I do. This has happen before, he seemed to moderate his drinking, but then goes in to psychosis, it's not fun. Just tired odf dealing with dram episodes, and my friends are kinda worried about me as well. I'm not going to leave my place alone with im in it, and he has money to leave, he won't, any advice.

17. earthling2

earthling2 Member

I'm worried if they had to give my boyfriend these medications for whatever, what is going to happen to him? Good question, and they're making people suicidal, and all, this is not a happy trip, and what ever. He's getting worse from the alchohol. Going bats, and what's the damage going to be? From pills.

18. earthling2

earthling2 Member

Sorry, you all, I'm in a very bad way, with boyfriend, and he's going totally nuts , and I'm in a bad way now, and it's not a good thing, has to stop hollering and screaming and yelling, and going crazy in the place, self-medication, and dillusional blaming me for what ever, sickness, and depression, and what else is oigng on with him, just name it, my friends fear for me, and not for the better.

19. laurenq

laurenq Member

exercise helps me

i dono something about running even though im so tired i might just fall over helps i guess

yea no meds man just dont take them

and suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life i opened up to one of my friends about them briefly and it really scared him but yea i dono people would never guess that i have or suffer from or w/e from depression but yea i dont know what your experience with therapy is but i dono having someone thats always on your side just there to hear you out once every week is really good i think

i dono good luck to us all!

20. annieforster

annieforster Member

great idea dave!