Pentacostal church

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by ShamicaSativa, May 10, 2004.

1. ShamicaSativa

ShamicaSativa Member

I was at a meeting in the Pentacostal church yesterday, as a part of a school-project. But now I have this feeling inside of me telling me to go back there!!! :confused:

I don't really want to, 'cause I know what will happen(don't ask!), but.....

Anyone who could give me some advice???

2. Woog

Woog Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Are you afraid you'll permanently speak in tounges?
    Do you have a pet malady that you don't want healed?
    But seriously folks, what do you know will happen?
    Damn, I wasn't supposed to ask.
    Aw heck, I'm all in suspenders, what will happen?

3. arlia

arlia Members

there must b somethin inside of u wantin wat u experienced there.its not like its a bad thing.

4. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Just try to look at it a bit more equaniminously. Try being more aware of what that bit of you is. It might be that you want some religious faith and then you can go about finding your faith in a place other than the Christian church if you don't feel you like that scene.

Blessings

Sebbi

5. ShamicaSativa

ShamicaSativa Member

thank you, folks!

I've asked my folks, and they've given me permission to go there on Sunday, so I'm a bit excited....

6. Jozak

Jozak Member

Be careful though, the Pentacostal Church has a reputation of being anti other religions.

7. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

hey jozak --- not like the roman catholic church, eh?
    just kidding ya, you know that... we lutherans have had our moments as well over the last 500 years or so ;)
    ~
    ya, a lot of them holy spirit chuches hold that you are not a christian if you haven't "been filled with the holy spirit" ---with obvious signs like falling down, or speaking in tongues, or something --- which would leave catholics & lutherans & methodists & orthodox & presbyterians & episcopalians & pretty much everybody else outa the loop, heh...

8. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

everybody except the Deists and the Unitarians

9. Jozak

Jozak Member

The Catholic Church does not have a reputation of slandering, insulting, and degrading other religions like the Southern Baptist Convention, Billy Grahm, Pat Robertson, or a lot of other right wing, fundementalist churches. Now at points in the past, yes, there was some corruption in the church, every church has that, but I am talking about present day, for the most part. I was not brought up that way, and niether are most Catholics.

10. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

agreed...
    oekumoine... the ecumenical movement... repairing the rifts & schisms of the past... is definitely on the minds of many movers & shakers in roman catholic, eastern orthodox, lutheran, anglican, reform, and quite a few other denominations...
    and there most surely are some poisonous rantings coming out of some of the "fringes" or (american) protestantism... (i mean, check out some of jack chick's rabidly anti-catholic little tracts & larger full-sized "comix" ... whew...)

but, generally speaking, the historical trend (for all christian communities) has been a distinct "us vs. them" sort of mentality... with all the sorry sequelae of that seperatist stance...

shalom

11. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

I have notice the Lutheran/Roman Catholics tend to mind their own issues and keep a lower profile when it comes to 'bashing' other types of denominations.

Having said that, there are plenty of little 'jabs' and under the breathe comments to be found inside the average parish or catechism on any odd sunday.

Im not 'as' familiar with the so-called American 'Fundamentalist' groups (the kinds that write tracts about the 'Popists' etc) but I know they are pretty outspoken.

Then again.. Ive sat through a Sunday Mass and listened to the Priest go right ahead and explain how 'Sad' and 'Disappointing' it was that a member had chosen to marry a non-Roman Catholic Christian.

Pentecostals.. they aren't so bad now that a lot of the 'holy rollers' have split off to form new groups.
    I heard a funeral sermon from a Pentecostal preacher once and if I didn't know better I would have sworn he was Lutheran/Roman Catholic brand Preacher!
    It was that good!
    ;)

12. Smudge

Smudge Member

I was only 'defending' Billy Graham the other day against criticism that he was too ecumenical after his meeting with the pope and the nice words he said about the pope.
    Poor bloke can't win...

Can we drop the 'other religions' tag?
    Do you mean other denominations? :)
    Because there is One Christianity.
    One Church
    One Jesus.
    But many different expressions of that One Church, as many of His followers have different personalities, and different needs...and obviously interpret the scriptures differently.
    But many are coming together in healthy biblical unity in the Holy Spirit, and perhaps we should thank God for that.
    Jesus did pray that His followers would be One.

A lot of 'pentecostal churches' have many lovely warm people in them.
    (They have helped me in the past):)

13. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I believe that if something inside you is telling you that you should do something, then you should do it. I am glad to hear that you are going to attend at least once to feel it out. I am a member of a pentecostal church and have found that in all of the religions that I have been exposed to, (catholic, christian-reformed, lutheran), that the pentecostal faith was the only one that I personally have found truth in. All I can say is just be aware. Regardless of what church you attend, always be aware of your surroundings. If the head of a church ever tries to preach to you a message that he cannot back up with scripture, and he forces his views on you and makes you feel that if you do not comply with him, that you are wrong, then move on and look for another place of worship. Convictions come from God, not from man. If you attend a church that does not leave you with the feeling that you should come back for more, and you only attend because you feel that you should, again, look for another place. When you find the place that makes you feel like you never want to leave, then you need not look any furtuer. God bless! :)