Good psychedelic Music

Discussion in 'The Psychedelic Experience' started by Neobob187, Jan 31, 2005.

1. prankster1590

prankster1590 Member

Goa Psy Trance is stupid. I like Dub Techno minimalism ambient stuff and sitar music with a beat.

2. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

No, but generalizing entire genres of music as "stupid" is. ;)

3. pnkflyd27

pnkflyd27 Member

Pink Floyd's DSotM is ok, but for a weird experience, try their 'Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict' on the Ummagumma studio album! ;)

4. GTA83

GTA83 Member

Has anybody here heard of the mars volta? They are playing at bonnaroo this year. Tripping to that shit cranked up really loud is so intense, especially their first album. At times it can almost be too much but it is so amazing how much variation they have and it all flows together. Recommend downloading "take the veil cepin taxt" if u havn't heard their music before.

5. psychedelic toker

psychedelic toker Member

The Dead, StS9, Medeski martin and wood

6. HallucinatedGreenLig

HallucinatedGreenLig Member

Medeski, Martin, and Wood are awesome... Primus is phat as hell if you can't see them live you should get one of their DVDs that is the craziest shit you have ever seen.

7. omwaver

omwaver Member

Phish- Theme from the bottom

8. Flabbergast

Flabbergast Member

my first reply got caught in a 'hiccup' from the server and didn't post, which is probably fine since it had turned into a small essay... As someone with a few thousand LP's and an uncounted number of CD, of which probably 60-70% at least are psychedelic and progressive-rock, I will only give a very very short list of just a few things that jumped into my mind:

1. David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name
    Haunting beautiful, alternately euphoric and brooding, very intense album. Not only Crosby's best work but also quite possibly the best studio album to come out of the California psychedelic scene. Features prominent contributions from Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Jack Cassidy, David Friedman, Greg Rollie, Joni Mitchell and more.

2. The Thirteenth Floor Elevetors - Easter Everywhere
    Their masterpiece, although the debut "Sound of.." is worth seeking out as well. The CD pressings of these sound kind of shitty, find the vinyl reissues if you can

3. Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
    Although I have all the classic Gong albums, I actually like this Hillage album better than most of them for a lot of reasons. I've never been able to stomach David Aellen's 'cosmology' much so that might have something to do with it. But this album is not only trippy and whimsical, it also *rocks out*!

4. Can - Tago Mago and/or Future Days
    If you don't know these guys than you are missing out on one of the major influences on *so much* music that has been made in the last 30 years. These guys were so far ahead of their time it isn't funny.

5. Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei or Yeti
    Along with CAN these guys were the pioneers of Krautrock. These two albums are loaded with jams and psychedelic freak-outs. Yeti shows the band beginning to lean a bit towards more 'complicated' progressive-rock.

6. Caravan - Any of their early records, like Waterloo Lily but especially "In the Land of Grey and Pink". Along with Soft Machine and Gong, Caravan were major players in the Cantebury scene that also gave birth to none other than The Pink Floyd

7. Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs.
    This album can be harrowing in its rawness but it also contains moments of ethereal beautry and repose, and virtually all of the charming traits that made Barrett such a musical innovator in the first place.

8. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
    A masterpiece. Just a beautiful album all around. Produced by Nick Mason and featuring members of Caravan it also features song nice lead guitar work from Mike Oldfield... which reminds me

9. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn. Pretty much all you need from him. Some of you will recognize 'Tubular Bells' as the soundtrack to the original Exorcist film.

10. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
    Essential Bay Area psychedelia

(this one goes to 11...)

11. Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
    Absolute masterpiece of an album. You really can't go wrong with *any* of the early Spirit albums, especially the debut self-titled album and 'The Family That Plays Together', but this one is where everything comes together for them.

*** forgot to add**
    Tangerine Dream -- pretty much anything but especially Phaedra, Atum and the early to mid-70's stuff. I hope some of you younger tripsters out there know about these guys, very big influence on electronic music

and
    Kraftwerk -- I would go back even further than Autobahn to their first 3 albums were are *very* experimental and trippy. Unfortunately they are all out of print and only available as bootlegs, although i've heard rumors this is likely to change very soon... Also, 1975's 'Radioactivity' album is brilliant.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    This is the mother of all 'concept-albums' and is also without doubt the most bizarre of them all. Peter Gabriel's swan-song with the band and usually recorded as a pinnacle in the career of everyone involved.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music and Remain in Light
    I can't tell how many otherworldly experiences I've had with these albums. As many of you are well aware, so much of the best 'psychedelic' music isn't actually classified as such at all... Which reminds me..

Fela Kuti - Pretty much anything from his Afrika 70 and Egypt 80 ensembles, you can't go wrong. If your experience is turning too cerebral, mental or abstract -- put on *any* of his records and you will be feeling better and shaking your booty in 1 minute flat.

9. The Flow

The Flow Member

Great selection flabber...
    I know a couple of ´em, you´ve named some of my personal favorites.
    And I think, I got some interesting new suggestions.

10. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

In-a-gada-da-vida (or however thats spelled...)
    basicaly anything by jimi hendrix (especialy third stone from the sun...)
    kebnekaise (a swedish all instrumental band...)
    and i cant think of anymore at the moment...

11. GTA83

GTA83 Member

Has anybody checked out The Mars Volta, De-loused in the Comatorium? They created a muisical image of this man who enters a drug induced coma when trying to commit suicide by taking a large amount of morphine. He experiences fantastic adventures in his dreams, elemental battles between the good and bad aspects of his conscience. At the end, he emerges from the coma and after all he has seen chooses to die.

The music on this cd is addictive as it is incredable. You really have to listen to this band, their sound is like no other with a vocalist who sounds like rush's but only much more strong, streamlined, emotional, and in my oppinion much less femine sounding. I still find it difficult that a mere four person band can create great intense soundscapes that this band easily does.

12. prankster1590

prankster1590 Member

Mars Volta is gonna play @ rockin Park in the Netherlands.
    Iy is gonna be broadcast live @ Yorin FM
    So click listen now and record it whit Nero or some othe program that records all you computer sounds.

(Dont know for sure if Yorin is gonna play Mars Volta because Keane is playing at the same time on another podia)

13. mellow

mellow Eased

hmmm

-Aphex Twin- Select Ambient Works V2
    -Enigma- Love, Sensuality, Devotion
    -The Orb- Bicycles and Tricycles
    -Orbital- Blue Album
    -many trance sets (Dj Kristoff, DJ GT, Project C, Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Ferry Korsten ect..)
    -lots of good pink floyd albums, DSOTM, Meddle, Saucerful of Secrets, Shine On
    Mike OakField- Tubular Bells

music is infinite

14. stan marsh

stan marsh Member

i love floyd, petty, and hendrix as much as the next guy, especially the animals album and shine on you crazy diamond, but i tend to listen to indie-type albums with more regularity. a few great psychedelic/just plain awesome listens that most people don't hear about are:

junior boys - last exit
    spoon - any of last three albums
    arcade fire - funeral
    vitalic - ok cowboy
    bloc party - silent alarm
    the streets (either album) - everyone should at least try to download the song "Blinded by the Lights." amazing.

more common albums:

any radiohead album besides pablo honey
    oysterhead - grand pecking order
    beatles - white album/sgt. peppers/revolver

oh, and mars volta is awesome.

15. Orange Sunshine Vet

Orange Sunshine Vet Member

Hey All!
    I like
    Shpongle all 3 CD's!
    DJ Morlack> Lucid Dream mixes and the Retrodelica mixes!
    Pure Mescaline> Psylocibin Mix (WOW)!!
    Spacetime Conntiuum with Terence Mckenna!

Henry Kaiser> Psychedelic Circus!
    Todd Rundgren> utopia live, Ra, initiation!
    Orzic Tenticals!
    Dream Theater!
    Mike Kenneally Band!

And the classics

Grateful Dead's Dark Stars, Come'n Around Jams Ect...
    Pink Floyd> Pluse, Dark side of the moon ect..

and>
    DO May Say Think

Happy Trails

16. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

You have a nice taste in music, Mellow.

The live Pink Floyd performances from 1970-1974 are AMAZING, if you can find recordings of them. They get traded on casette tapes and CDs, but you can find them on bittorrent sites now if you look hard enough.

Personal favorites include:
    * 9-26-1970 (live at Philadelphia, PA), often titled among ROIO circles as "Electric Factory".
    * 4-29-1970 (live at Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA), "Interstellar Encore".
    * 11-21-1970 (live at Montreaux, Switzerland), "Smoking Blues".

These live shows alone are a psychedelic experience in and of themselves. Listen to them while tripping, too... it's beyond words :)

Other good choices for such experiences include: Shpongle, Tangerine Dream, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Phish, Grateful Dead, and J.S. Bach.

Explosions in the Sky is also good, but they can be difficult to listen to. Some people, including myself, find their music to be emotionally overpowering at times. Same goes for Mogwai.

17. mellow

mellow Eased

oh my gof i lost my freakin mind to this album last night
    Chilled Out Euphoria- mixed by Solar Stone

...wow

18. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

the best psycedelich music you get from walking out in the woods, sit down on a rock or something, listen, watch and realize the beauty of mother earth.

19. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

but you know...you dont even have to do that while tripping. just walk out there and take some deep breaths and get a grip.

20. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

but you know...you dont even have to be trippin...
    just take few deep breaths and wake up.