Good psychedelic Music

Discussion in 'The Psychedelic Experience' started by Neobob187, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Neobob187

Neobob187 Member

Hey everybody just post your favorite music to listen to in a psychedelic experience. I just recently discovered The Velvet Underground which is really good. And I always enjoy a good beatles record or two, but post away.!

2. mart_182

mart_182 Member

dark side of the moon is great. as long as you're prepared to sit and listen to the whole thing then it can be a really spiritual experience:)

3. WharfRat

WharfRat Member

anything dead...live sets are the best absolutely incredible

4. Neobob187

Neobob187 Member

Definatly, I should have mentioned this. I tripped on dxm and listened to dark side of the moon, and it changed me forever.

5. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

If you wanna hear something truely psycadelic check out shpongle...

6. The Flow

The Flow Member

My favorite is "(Music inspired by) Lord of the rings" by Bo Hansson.
    Also very nice: the music of a german band called "Schiller", I recommend their album "Weltreise".
    And of course "Surrender" by the Chemical Brothers.

7. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Obviously the best psychedelic band of this era, Tool...can't believe no one mentioned them yet. :p

On the techno side, I enjoy my Infected Mushroom...some various DnB, DK8 "Murder was the Bass" and DJ Frankie Bones' "Studio 54 (East 27 Mix)" are generally good for MDxx experiences.

8. RoBoWaLkEr

RoBoWaLkEr Member

Hah, yeah shpongle for sure! I have only heard 1 song of theirs, but it's tripped the hell out...

9. LostChord

LostChord Member

check out the moody blues album 'in search of the lost chord' (ya ya people are like wtf the moody blues.. thats gay) but really check it out.. works great in a good stereo setup and listen to the lyrics... its all about tripping.. like come on its 1968 and theres a song about tim leary.. of course thats bout drugs lol...

as for instrumental.. some ash ra temple or tangerine dream (especially their older albums)

another group I like to listen to is Cymande (the song bird and also the song dove are great)

10. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

quicksilver messenger service

11. AceAzamean

AceAzamean Member

Tangerine Dream

12. LostChord

LostChord Member

yeah tangerine dream is good.. especially their older stuff...

also check out ash ra temple.. thats some good shit too..

13. k-faction

k-faction Member

I've got to say The Chemical Brothers, specifically the song The Test. Wow. Talk about trippy.

14. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

jimi hendrix
    soulive
    the doors

15. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

The first album in particular, especially "The Fool." I'd also have to include Ravi Shankar; Cream; The Velvet Underground ("Heroin," "I Heard Her Call My Name"); Ten Years After ("Cricklewood Green"); Savoy Brown ("Needle & Spoon" from Raw Sienna); "Animalism"; Canned Heat's "Amphetamine Annie," "Fried Hockey Boogie," "Refried Boogie," "Get Off My Back," "Down in the Gutter But Free"; Nazz "Open My Eyes"; Super Session "You Don't Love Me Baby" and others; Charlie Musselwhite's "Stand Back!" album (with Harvey Mandel on guitar); Jeff Beck "Truth"; "Moby Grape," "Wow," "Grape Jam"; Big Brother, especially "Combination of the 2" and "Ball and Chain"; John Mayall "Bare Wires"; etc.; etc. All the stuff you have to own or go to non-commercial radio (formerly "underground" stations) to hear, because "classic" rock is so narrowly defined. There's still good stuff coming out, e.g., Government Mule, but the same thing applies, thanks to mediopoly.

16. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Their first album is still my all-time favorite. Same with Led Zeppelin's. They're also the ones most seldom heard.

17. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Yeah, I forgot about the Moody Blues. I also forgot "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." The other side of the album is almost pure bubble gum, but put on the headphones and listen. I did on mescaline and saw the Hindu 8-armed god dancing on the ceiling--or maybe it was the critter that's inside the jacket of the double Canned Heat album "Living the Blues"!

Speaking of ceilings, and this is off-topic (a little) but still psychedelic: Does anybody remember tying a dry-cleaning bag in knots, taping it to the ceiling, putting a tub of water under it, turning out the lights, and setting fire to the bottom end? (These people are professional hippies. Don't try this at home!)

18. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

A tamer version of the above, assuming you do it on a fireproof surface, such as an inverted can: Take 2 books of matches and fold down the four layers of matches in each so they separate. Fold back the cover and fold the original folds backward. Then push the two books together carefully so the heads of one are woven into the spaces between those of the other. Stand it on the cover flaps, turn out the lights, and light one of the outer matches.

19. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Happy trails! :)

20. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Correction: Ignore the part about folding the covers backwards. Just fold them back at the striker. Once the matches are interwoven, the flaps will support them. It's been a long time, and I'm old and forgetful!

While I'm this far off topic, here's a trick to freak someone out. Rip the striker off a pack of matches, fold it in half with the striker material inside. Insert a dime or a quarter most of the way into the fold and hold it there with another strip of folded cardboard, a tweezers, or a roachclip, while you hold a match or a lighter under the striker. Let it cool and notice the residue on the edge of the coin. Then rub it hard between your thumb and finger. You can probably make it smoke several times in a row like this, if you got enough of a residue on the coin.

Just be sure to wash your hands to get rid of the foul smell and the phosphorus and antimony compounds before you touch food or whatever.