How old were you when you had your first child?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by feministhippy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Erin

Erin Member

i was 18

i needed her more than anything she helped me grow up when i refused to

2. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I have huge, giant respect for those young mums out there:)

Im 18 but really have some high ambitions and would like to wait until my late 20s, i think. My mum was 42 when she gave birth to me and she was absolutely fantastic, full of life!

3. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

Thats wonderful !!! What ever works for you is what you should so , and Im sending lots of good thoughts your way !!!!

4. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

5. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

I was 20 years, 6 months, and one day old when she came to us. Yeah, at times, I feel so naive and too young to be taken seriously when it comes to her, but I love knowing that I'm young and strong and not made jaded by life. So I can teach her to be a positive person. :D

6. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was 25 for my first and 40 for the last. Hmmm 40 that will make me 58 when he finishes highschool.

7. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I'm 24 and having my first baby.

8. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I was 32 when my first child was born. I'm very glad I waited because that's what was best for me, personally.

9. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I was 21 years old and my husband was 25 when we had our oldest son. I was almost 25 and my hubby was almost 29 when we had our twins. No regrets whatsoever. We always knew we wanted to have children earlier on in life so it worked out well.

10. minkajane

minkajane Member

I was 21 when my son was born. He was a planned and long-awaited baby.

11. BeyondHeroism

BeyondHeroism Member

12. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Sera, ive been away, never realised you were pregnant! Good luck:)

13. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Member

14. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

You are not, Holly. My self and many of the other mamas and womyn and men on this forum take you very seriously. Like many of the mamas on this forum, young and old, you are wise. A wise wise mama, a wisdom which comes with mamaing, for those who ask for this wisdom.

I think it is really cool that the mamas here have had babies at all different ages, and have mostly felt that THAT was the age that was best for them. I had my first at 24 and my last at 38. They were totally different experiences. And totally different babies. I also had two inbetween these "bookend" babies. At 26 and at 29, Every baby is a new learning experience.

I have been thinking lately that I am somehow going to have an other boy, I had a dream, when I was pregnant with Sage, about a little boy. Perhaps he is the one who went back into the ether when I miscarreid at the age of 25, I don''t know. Maybe, even though he was never born, he still has something to teach me. I wish I knew, but I have been thinking a lot about him lately.

15. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

I was 28 when Skye was born.

16. Crimson and Clover

Crimson and Clover Member

17. mimis

mimis Member

Im 18 and want to. been with my boyfriend for 2 years but we are not settled down i am living in halls of residence at uni until june. For ages I had said no I don't want to yet, but always looking at children thinking I want to be a mother. I have a younger sister of 7 and was always helping out with her so I know that a lot of effort and sleepless nights are involved.

The only think stopping me, I realised, was other people - what they think and how I would be judged. So plan is, as of yesterday, to move in together in the summer, then start trying. V interesting and useful reading these posts so thanks =)

xx

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

It is ever so much easier to finish uni without a kiddo, BUT in the US, juggling the class schedule can allow a mama to be 70 percent at home while in school.

that said, I was 23 when my son was born. He was 8 years on my graduation day (I went to college when he was 3 1/2- and he was able to start a Montessori school 3 days a week)
    He's now riding hard on 15 (December--help me).

I never planned on kids, he's it, so I cannot say I ever wanted to be a youngish mom or planned to wait until I was a high powered executive or whatever...
    but if I had my life cards in my hand to order as I wished (same events), I think I would have started uni earlier, possibly left his dad a year sooner, and fought for full physical custody.
    I am grateful to his dad and dad's family for opening a (less than perfect) space for me to be mom at home through age 3.
    I've a friend (42) who is a uni professor and touring musician. His son is about 3 and he spends so many weekends away, connected by cell phone. The pain is so obvious in his eyes.
    He truly loves the music, but is always working on how to be home more and still "go out and do the thing you love" (quote from Smile by SCI's Billy Nershi- who figured out how to have his kids/ music balance).

19. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I was 28. I can't imagine having had a child any earlier.. no way I would have been ready. Hell, I didn't think I was ready at 28!

20. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I think 28 is a good age for my to start having kids too. I will get my degree whem i am 23, but i want to go on many adventures and score a good job. It is great to see people waiting until the time is right!