Don't make fun of me but I have a question...

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by vinceneilsgirl, Dec 23, 2004.

1. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

I'm Jewish, not Rasta, but I am curious about something. Why do Rastas wear dredlocks? I think they're sexy btw...no offense to anyone. Anyways, what do they mean?

I am sorry if this question is stupid. *Cringes in embarrassment*

2. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

its almost like a mocary of the shalow society.

3. RastaforChrist

RastaforChrist Member

Rastafarian's wear dreadlocks because of Babylon's use of combs, razors, brushes, etc. Hair naturally dreads if left alone long enough, so that's how it came to be.

4. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

rastas grew locks to look abhorrent (dreadful) in the eyes of their white oppressors

5. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I believe this more:
    Rastafari

The Rastafarians wear locks as an expression of inner spirituality and to emphasize their identity. Their religion states that they must remain "whole" (hence why Rastafarian Bob Marley refused to have a cancerous toe removed which could have saved his life). Following Haile Selassie, cutting dreads is highly prohibited in the Rasta culture. Due to this, dreads knot naturally because their hair is not to be tampered with.
    Another interpretation among the Rastafari is that "dread" refers to the fear that dreadlocked Mau Mau warriors inspired among the colonial British.[citation needed] The Mau Mau, a largely ethnic Kikuyu rebel group in Kenya fighting to overthrow their colonial British oppressors from 1952–1960, hid for many years in the forests, during which time their hair grew into long locks. The images of their rebellion, then broadcast around the world, are said to have inspired Jamaican Rastafari to wear locks.[8]
    Dreadlocks on a Rasta's head are symbolic of the Lion of Judah which is sometimes centered on the Ethiopian Flag. Rastas hold that Selassie is a direct descendant or reincarnated form of Christ. Rasta's also believe African people are the descendants of the Israelites' Tribe of Judah through the lineage of Kings of Israel David and Solomon, and that he is also the Lion of Judah mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks#History

6. natural philosophy

odon you cant be in these forums you aren't a rasta

7. BrotherMat

BrotherMat Member

I read that rastas argue that samson from one of the bible storys had seven locks of hair on his head, and that rastas debate that this could only be dreadlocks? dunno if thats true or not

8. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I take it because you have dreads and smoke Ganja - you are? :p

9. Xac

Xac Visitor

I know it mentions in the OT something about not cutting ones hair so that the head is round, i always thought it was taken from that, but for the life of me, i can't remember the book it is in to reference it.

10. natural philosophy

you dont have to have dreads to be rasta. you just have to listen to bob marley

11. Stowned

Stowned Member

"Rasta no se rastfarian. Rasta se rastafari. Rastafari a way of life"

The rastafari people do not like when someone says "Rastafarian". It is actually insulting to many. It refers to an organized religion. To them it is no religion but just a way of life. Rastafari do not cut their hair because in the bible it says no man shall make cuts to his hair nor to his beard. Dreadlocks to a rasta is their identity along with symbolic meanings that can differ from any rasta. They grow their hair untouched , cut , combed , etc. I spent time with a rastaman in the jungles of Jamaica. Many wise men roam that Island.

12. mikaakim

mikaakim Guest

We wear them for many reasons, some spiritual, some personal.

the 3 main reasons for mine:

- a dedication to my faith
    - due to scripture
    - They are my roots, they show you who i am, and where i have come from, they are my roots to Africa.

13. Guchh

Guchh Guest

Leviticus 21:5 - "They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh."

14. crewcut

crewcut Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jYMP1tz02Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jYMP1tz02Q
    roots as fuck. white kids can be rastafari.