The end of the world as we know it

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If too less cows are killed global warming will increase faster!

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

hollywood to the contrary, in hunting and gathering times, people ate a LOT LESS meat then they do now.

the hunting was a major and somewhat specialized undertaking, and most meals most of the time consisted of what could be gathered and processed locally,
    like hard corn, acorns, and other naturally ocurring berry, nut and root crops, often suplimented by the beginnings of subsistence agriculture with beans, squash and so on.

(and even those were a community effort taking up most of most people's time)

most people don't realize just how 'rich', even poor peoples lives, have been in first world countries for just the past few hundred years.
    but with populations pushing the limits of resources, this is not a forever thing, and as populations continue to increase,
    our 'first world' lifestyles, can only continue to become more and more expensive, until they are once again, out of reach of most of us.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Soy is horrible for you

I dont get why vegetarians and vegans substitute meat at all. There are so many good vegetarian dishes one can make without throwing in gross fake meat

6 people like this.
  4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

mostly i would guess, because good food is generally 'slow' food. but its not like a meatless soup or salad has to take a bloody genius.
    its just a matter of remembering to get all three of different vegitable proteen groups that you get all three with meat without having to think about.
    (and vegan cassaroles can be absolutely wonderful, though not everyone knows how to make them well)

the whole imitation meat thing, is because of what the first world has gotten used to since the industrial revolution.
    we don't start SERIOUSLY lowering ALL human birthrates, REAL SOON, there isn't going to be room to raise animals to for slaughter and meat.
    soilent green anyone?

(franchised vegan soup and salad bars WILL be back. unless they start passing out birth control in high schools no questions asked, you can bet on it,
    along with a lot of other things, like land, including crop land, lost to rising seas, not dramatically but inexorably, and the diseases and famines that will follow that)

like soylent green, climate change, is (ultimately) people (compounded by more then needed use of fossil fuels).

yes it IS all connected, and NOT, some kind of 'hoax'.

5. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I wish I'd paid attention when I got taught how to make seitan. I used to use RealEat veggie mince a lot, when it used to be really nice and quite similar to seitan. But then Linda McCartney's cancer food company bought it changed the recipe so now all you can get is Quorn. I use that stuff, only the mince but when I do I use it sparingly.

Otherwise Paneer is quite a good alternative to meat, and easy to make. Homemade stuff is better than the packaged stuff you get in the shops too.

Tofu is also good. Cauldron Tofu sausages used to be really nice too until they became really popular and then decided to substitute tofu for TVP, and now they are slightly cancerous but occasionally tolerable.

6. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Most of the things that I've tasted that are are vegan, don't always taste that good to me. Maybe this might. That's what I meant.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well that I can get. What i didn't get is that you're looking forward to try it. I guess it was a figure of speech and i took it too literally :p

8. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

15ish years ago I worked at Burger King when they had veggie burgers.They were absolutely disgusting. I hope technology has advanced so that they are at least palatable.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

All hail Seitan!!! \w/ \w/

1 person likes this.
  10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

people always say that fast food burgers aren't real meat, but nobody has ever been able to expand on what they mean by that, and i never took the time to look it up (partially because i eat a lot of fast food burgers and was a little scared of what i might learn).

11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I guess I always assumed that they meant that fast food burgers contained a lot of fillers and preservatives, as compared to burgers you would make at home.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ same. i just didn't want to think about what those "fillers" specifically were.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I still dont want to know how KFC make their gravy

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Worms...

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i've worked in restaurants, though not fast food ones, and even real restaurants, a lot of them do this, like for meatloaf and some other things.
    but fast food places, the people who work there might not even know this because the franchising companies deliver their burgers already made up and pressed into patties.

so the fillers have to be stuff you can actually eat, there's actually laws about that, and they're not allowed to use more then 50%, but you can just well understand i'm sure, profit margin driven and all that, that they'll use every bit of as much as the law lets them. (because soy flour, is after all, a LOT less expensive then any kind of meat. and it does have the good side that nothing has to be killed to harvest it)

i'm not sure what percentage of soy bean production goes into making that filler stuff, i know a lot of it is also fed to animals in feed lots too. and then there are consumer products made from soy that people intentionally buy, (tofu for example and all that) but those, presumably people know they are doing so deliberately.

soy isn't actually all THAT bad for you. it only when people had this big fixation about a few years back, like it was supposed to some kind of myrical food. so a lot of people ate a lot of it in place of what they might have otherwise, and THAT is what is pretty much not good, not healthy, to have less diversity in our diets. we've had the same thing with yogurt, and even going back a hundred and some odd years, you know all those dried cerial breakfast foods, those guys kellog and post, in the u.s., they were introducing a food fad when they created those.

and hamburger, before there were a lot of fast food places, i remember a lot of people grinding their own, because the less expensive cuts of meat were kind of tough and chewy, so grinding made it a lot easier to eat.

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Then you definitely wouldn’t want to know what’s fillers they use in Hot­ dogs/frankfurters,

Hotwater

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There was a big controversy about pink slime a couple of years ago

I've noticed even in grocery stores the ground beef is separated into two stacks with no real explanation on what the difference is except one pile is a gross pink color and cheaper and the other is a healthy red color and more expensive

Gross.

18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Can't be any worse than their "meat"

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Yes indeed soy is terrible, especially for males. Soy isn't just in vegan substitutes either; it's found everywhere in processed foods.

Hemp seed would be a much healthier alternative to soy. I think the reason they make vegan-based fake meats is a marketing effort to draw people with omnivorous diets over to veganism.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Oh, no...they're real meat.