Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I was a little bit more beside myself than I thought I would be that there is finally a new star trek series once I was about to start watching it

I'm glad Sasha is the main character, bit of a buzz having a TWD character in this show

It all looks great, but was a bit ho hum until she mutinied, then it was oh ok, thats in the first ep? a good sign

Stuff to bitch about:

- You'd think Michelle Yeoh would be able to speak english by now

- and the Shenzou? we have to pander to Chinese audiences now? sounded dumb every time they had to refer to the ships name

- Klingons themselves, they look exactly what they are, guys in rubber masks, not an improvement on past costume designs

Otherwise, I'm happy that it doesnt really look any prevoius sci fi show

2. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

I've never been a huge fan of Star Trek, but I might give the show a chance with a couple episode watch.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm pissy that they aren't going to air on CBS. It used to be on regular old TV; like, the free channels! Now it's this CBS All Access deal. I don't have that. I've never subscribed to cable and don't plan to start!

That said, I'm not a TV watcher anyway... I only watch stuff that's out on DVD which I borrow from the local library. Right now I'm watching the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy. I watch two episodes per night.

But back to my point: I'm not comfortable having to pay to get my star trek fix. Looks like that's the way it's gonna be though. http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/24/star-trek-discovery-how-to-watch/

Vanilla Gorilla, I'm really glad you liked it. Did you watch on CBS all access or was it on Netflix too? I read something about Netflix having 1 episode per week of Star Trek Discovery.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Pfffft, I havent paid for a TV show in over a decade

The situation is even more retarded in Australia, sometimes a certain show isnt even available on pay streaming channels until months after the US

The Handmaids Tale, we had to wait 3 months, and then curiously it aired on one of our free to air channels

No, its a VPN and torrents all the way baby

Had an ad recently from one of our pay streaming services, think it was Stan, telling us that all episodes of Friends are avaiable, I thought WTF? I've had the DVD box set since whenever that came out after the last season, probably for 10 years, the 10 season box set cost me a hundred bucks a decade ago, WTF am I going to pay for it again

Spotify also gives me the shits in the same way, why I got to pay for a service to stream songs that I brought the albums for 30 years ago????

1 person likes this.
  5. Mister Liam

I used to do torrents. Now I stream on a site that offers every television show and movie for free viewing.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think I would be a Star trek fan if I didn't grew up with it (TNG and Voyager). And I only grew up with it because it was for free on TV (curiously enough provided by the KRO: catholic broadcasting company :D). Best thing on it in my early teens (we also really liked an Aussie soap btw called Heartbreak high :p)! Aah those were the days

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm looking forward to give it a try but will not go out of my way to watch it. I may just wait it out until its readily available. Then i don't have to wait for a week for every episode either

You may have forgotten Star treks premise. Earth is united and all nations work together in space exploration. So its fitting there's something chinese in the show too :p Maybe the real remarkable thing is it took them until now. Although i haven't seen DS9 so maybe i just missed it

8. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I struggled through that, must say I'm a bit disappointed. Klingon story arcs have always bored the tits off me.

And VG likes it! There's a first...

The script was stupid, and it was boring trying to keep up with all the kilngon subtitles.

"How long until that storm hits us?"

Oh, I'll give you a prediction down the very second! Because that's even possible and how storms work. One second they're not there, then they're there..

9. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

I watched it on CBS over the air last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the Klingons talking in their language. I've been around long enough to have seen the original Star Trek first run when I was a kid.

1 person likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

I wasn't alive then, and I didn't see the show on CBS whenever it aired. But I was alive for The Next Generation, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine. I have recently watched all three series on DVD at a rate of two episodes per night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

11. The Walking Dickhead

I strongly recommend Enterprise if you haven't checked that one, it surprised me how much I liked it. Better than Voyager and DS9 IMO, and probably Discovery I speculate.

1 person likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

I will check into that as soon as I've finished with Grey's Anatomy, which I'm currently marathon-ing at two episodes per night. I can't get enough of Star Trek, but I did try watching Enterprise once before. I was in London on vacation this last May and for some reason they didn't have CSI:NY (what I was marathoning at that point) available for that part of the world. So I tried Enterprise, knowing that I really liked TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I couldn't get into it! This could be because I was distracted by being on vacation, or because I only watched the first 10 minutes of the 1st episode. Anyway, I was surprised... but I'll for sure give it another shot, since there's no way I'm getting cable just so I can see Discovery.

13. The Walking Dickhead

I didn't like it at first either, but if you give a good go from the start it'll quickly grow on you. I even ended up liking the opening credits.

14. Mister Liam

When it came to space shows, my two favorites are Babylon 5 and Farscape.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats the trouble with doing a star trek show.

Every nerd is going to pick apart every little detail.

Its was ok, and come on, not like you arent going to watch it.

Agree with Klingons are boring, but definately needs a war time story arc to keep it zippy

16. Mister Liam

The problem with the internet today is that everyone who watches a show thinks s/he is a suddenly a television critic. It's why I tend to ignore the bad comments left by people and just watch the show to judge it for myself.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its only real competition at the moment in sci fi is Dark Matter, which is a show I like, but its a little too low budget

18. The Walking Dickhead

Oh right. I don't like something and you have issues with that?

Face it. It's all bangs and whistles and not a lot of substance. Oh klingon battle cries and Vulcan wisdom, never seen that before.

All these angled shots and lights and flashbacks. The magic of sci-fi is lost on state of the art CGI.

And how the fuck is an orbiting space ship going to find two people on a planet because they drew a federation symbol in the sand, under a giant storm cloud?

Script and plot retarded. Needed to be in the future. It's not Star Trek.

19. Mister Liam

Couldn't get into that one.

The modern one for me is The Expanse.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

First two seasons of Enterprise they tried to do the same kind of less is more crap that lead to Stargate Universes early demise. Season 3, you then get this kooky star wars rip off.

But then, season 4, you get pure brilliance, possibly the best season of any sci fi show ever, but by which time everyone had given up on it, wasnt rating, so sadly didnt continue.

Still want to slap the producers for that, why the f didnt you do the series from the start like that?????