Cultural Quirks About Your Home Area

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fueled by Coffee, Sep 23, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

No clarification needed. It would be impractical to do that where there's lots of people. Still it's not done very much around here.

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

We put spaghetti in our chili.

3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

It's London, we're all a bunch of wankers.

More specifically, it's Clapham. so it used to be a shithole that was cheap and cheerful, now its a "delightful up-and-coming area" full of twats in rugby shirts that I can no longer afford to drink in.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I've noticed a recurring theme from everyone from SoCal: Asshole drivers is the local cultural quirk.

5. Noserider

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

I lived in Mass for a little while. I'm from New Hampshire. I just wanted to get that clarified...

2 people like this.
  6. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

We all are tan, rich, live right by the beach, make 200,000 a year, drive mercedez etc..

Honestly that show that was on a while ago called the OC isn't all that far fetched for some people in orange county. Places like newport beach and laguna niguel or really nice. Where I work is a complete fucken dump, though. Filled with tons of homeless peopple, addicts, gang members etc

7. Noserider

it's sad when movies like Boyz N The Hood are the most accurate portrayals of the LA area

8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm anywhere outside of OR or WA, I find that everyone drives more aggressively and I'm the timid one pissing everyone off. I recently drove in Vegas and it was very similar to SoCal. Miami is just the same. It's stressful driving outside of my area if you're not used to it. My friends from the Midwest drive more assertively and complain about the unconfident drivers around here.

9. r0llinstoned

boyz in the hood, meance 2 society, crash etc..

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We have strange foods around here like whoopee, shoo-fly, and pot pies (not the kind you buy in a store), and scrapple which is all the parts of a pig that everyone else throws away mixed with cornmeal, disgusting.

A Mennonite guy I worked with has stuffed pig belly every Thanksgiving.

____​
    And now.....ladies and gentleman a local joke:

Q: What's an Amish woman's favorite sexual fantasy?
    A: Two Mennonite.

11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

OR is probably the most friendly, generally passive place I've ever visited. I liked it a lot. You go to CA or where I'm from in New England and everyone drives like they are an hour late for the most important meeting of their lives. Cutting people off, laying on the horn, weaving in and out of traffic.

I'm trying to think of something unique to my area, but I think this question is better answered by an outsider who has visited New England. They can pick up on things like that better than someone who is used to living here.

12. MeAgain

Maple syrup, although we have that in PA as well.

13. MeAgain

I know what else...covered bridges!
    There are 197 in PA, the most of any state in the Union.
    There's 14 in my county.
    Unfortunately some arsonist burned the one about two miles from my home (no sound in video).

https://youtu.be/BxCFgmPDNuw​
    It's going to cost over $800,000 to rebuild.​
    Here's some others.​
    https://youtu.be/DzxlcfDuzAc​

14. Noserider

The accent...what's left of it anyway. Plenty of unique phrases too.

We don't have front yards in NE. We have door yards--pronounced DOWAH-yaahdz.

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Never heard that, actually. Door yards. Forgot about the accent. I made a point growing up not to have one. Some of my family have strong accents and I always thought they sounded silly. Pahk ya cah in the Havahd yahd. ;)

16. Noserider

I saw some words with the accent. It was one of those things I never noticed until I was out of the area and people would say, "oh, you say 'pants' funny."
    ?oh

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

How do you say it? Pants, that is?

I'm sure that I do, too. I did notice it when I moved out of the area for a bit. Some people noticed I said certain words differently ("water" I remember was one of them, although where I moved they pronounced it like "wooder").

We should do the accent challenge in a thread. That might be fun. You could do it via video or just type it out.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-21/accent-quiz-swept-english-speaking-world

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Got 6 of those within 10 miles of my house... There's over 125 in the state of Ohio. (wikipedia is off by at least 1... I drive by it all the time and it's not on their list)

[​IMG]?

1 person likes this.
  19. r0llinstoned

Some people from other states say we Californians have accents. Anyone else find this true?

20. Noserider

Not an accent exactly, more like a cadence...a delivery style.

I noticed a lot of people here make questions out of statements.

Also elongating some words