Baseball Ocd

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by egger, Sep 22, 2017.

1. egger

egger Member

Baseball players apparently stole the idea about ten years ago from basketball where players would point ot the sky after making a basket. In baseball it has evolved over the years from pointing to the sky to more elaborate rituals, even for the most trivial of achievements. One player taps his chest three times followed by tapping his face three times, touching his lips, and then pointing to the sky.

It used to be just for home runs. Now they do this after something as measely as a cheap single squibber. Pitchers are starting to get in on the act too by pointing to the sky after a strikeout.

In the true tradition of baseball, the next addition will be to grab the crotch three times and spit three times while kneeling down on the grass and pointing to the sky at dead relatives and divinity.

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

In the true tradition of baseball there is such a thing as the world series.

No Cuban or Chinese club has ever played in it.

1 person likes this.
  3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Baseball players more than any other sport have always suffered from OCD so it wouldn't take much encouragement for them to adopt habits from other sports and incorporate them into their own daily rituals.

In most MLB Baseball locker rooms there’s a CD player and the starting pitchers always gets to choose what music is played on the day they’re scheduled to start. - it's considered bad luck if someone else other than the pitcher plays their own CD

Hotwater

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

so why do "traditions" have such weirdly and obviously fake names?
    i mean bisu buro isn't even a "world" thing.

jamaka got a bobsled team though.

5. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

I don't watch sports, but don't all sports have a "goal" ritual? Football with the touchdown dance, etc.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

If they would not waste so much time doing all that then maybe I could watch a game. It's SO slow paced. Pitcher throws ball and now he and the batter have to fidget with their glove and hat. Now they have to spit, oh look now the batter is calling time out. :sleeping:

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that's not a goal ritual, that's acting like an asshole.

that's the nice thing about high school football. players actually act like adults after doing what they're supposed to.

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I have no friggin idea. People are stupid I guess. In the US more so than other places.

Lolwut? According to Google bisu buro isn't anything.

I got pizza. And coffee. Jamaica got an I and a C.

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Perhaps baseball players adopted the sky pointing thing from basketball players but it seems Baseball Players have always been the most ritualistic of team sports.

I suppose if accomplishing your job 1/3 of the time is seen as the elite of your profession, you're bound to come up with some rituals.

10. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Babe Ruth pointed to the sky calling his shot long before any asswie nba player did after sinking a 3.

11. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

http://youtu.be/jlzEjXu6QGQ

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

In more modern times it was Barry Bonds.

Fine you want give God the credit when you hit a home run, ok, but isn't he also to blame when you strike out?

Hotwater

13. r0llinstoned

No, when you strike out it's the umps fault.

1 person likes this.
  14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

there is a big difference between ocd and superstitious acts or movements

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I've never seen this in basketball.

I know some players have little rituals at the free throw line, but pointing to the sky after every basket? That's a new one on me.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

[​IMG]?

1 person likes this.
  17. r0llinstoned

lol Pedro Cerrano

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

This op is greatly exaggerating. Yes it happens but 90% of the time it's in big moments. Not a 2 out bloop single in the 5th of a 4-0 game.

And who says this was a basketball thing. You can see all kinds of celebrations copied from other sports for several decades.