Need Help Everyone Is There Any Hippies?

Discussion in 'North and South Carolina' started by chris36lewis, Sep 18, 2017.

1. chris36lewis

chris36lewis Members

is there any hippies in North Carolina? is it a hippie state? im planing on moving there

2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

NC is more of a conservative State, but I'm sure hippie types exist in Cary, Greensboro,and the Charlotte areas.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Even undiscovered tribes in the Amazone know north Carolina is not a hippie state.

6 people like this.
  4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

there are hippies in every state In the union and pretty much every country

if you are a hippy y'all will find each other

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah.... Still waiting on that.

2 people like this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I live in Southern California. There are drum circles on Sundays at Venice Beach (at least there used to be)... Also Isla Vista (which is a tiny town adjacent UCSB in Santa Barbara) is known for being a hippie locale. I don't go to either location anymore. It's not that I'm too old for a drum circle, but Venice Beach isn't that close. The parties at Isla Vista's Del Playa are most likely still happening but I do feel too old for those because so many of the people are college aged 18-25 year old students who can be viciously judgmental. I don't want to be judged! :)

I don't know anything about Carolina, but I have heard that New York has a very hip neighborhood called Greenwich Village. There's also the downtown area in Denver, Colorado that's pretty nifty. I used to live there, if only for 5 months and it's enjoyable. While Denver is hip, I think it's more of a coffee-shop vibe than a drum circle one. They have lots of outdoor activities. And I remember hearing about "The Rainbow Gathering" several times. I don't even know what that is. I was 20 at the time, and a bit wary of older people who might be out to get me! Lol. I can handle myself, but I think you're a little bit off-the-grid with something like that.

Best of luck! I hope you don't move anywhere you won't be happy.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention Arcata, California. It houses Humboldt State University, and has a thriving hippie population! You would definitely find lots of hippies there. You can't go outside without seeing someone who might be a hippie. Good Luck! :)

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Asheville is one of the hippiest (is that a word?) cities in the US

I dont really know about the rest of the state. I inagine the Outer Banks area is pretty laid back but I have not been.

Cities like Charlotte and Raleigh are probably like any city of a certain size and have a diverse population

Western NC mountains are nice

chainsaw charley likes this.
  8. chris36lewis

chris36lewis Members

What state do you guys think is better to live in colorado or north Carolina ? I just wanna be in a state where I can be with nature n be with hippies

9. soulcompromise

If I had to help you choose and it were out of the places I mentioned in my earlier post; for e.g. if it were Denver, CO vs. Arcata, CA, I would say that Aracata had more hippies. If that's what you're after Arcata is for you! There are other people on this forum who know more about Arcata. I think one is DrumminMama, but I might be wrong. The only other thing would be money. Denver is much less expensive. I don't get into the whole living wage to actual cost of living comparison, but you could do that and figure out, for example, how much your line of work typically gets paid in either location, and then compare rent. See where your bottom line ends up! I think Denver will probably win that one. :)

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If you stick to the Asheville area you'll be surrounded by nature and hippies...too many hippies, just the right amount of nature

Otherwise Colorado is probably a better bet

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

NC doesn't sound that bad at all reading Meli's posts! Although too many is never a good thing :p

12. chris36lewis

chris36lewis Members

thanks guys yeah i heard Asheville is full of hippies and i think the cost of livening in north Carolina is cheaper than Colorado

13. chris36lewis

chris36lewis Members

i always thought Colorado is a expensive state to live in if i wouldn't mind living in boulder or Colorado springs

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I love western NC, it is home to some of the most ancient mountains in the world and full of little mountain towns with lots of character.

NC received a lot of negative attention with that dumb bathroom bill and most of the state probably is really rural, really poor and really regressive, but it has some cool spots too

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Meh she didnt even say much, except list a few places.
    But I guess the poster counts more than posts.

16. soulcompromise

I didn't think it was because compared to California it was like $550 for a two bedroom or something. I forget what we were paying but it was ridiculously low. I don't know if it was that low. Someone around here might know. This was around January through May of 2000. Now, I just googled it and the average studio is something like $1,039. It's still cheaper there than here. But you were right if you're looking at Utah or Arizona for example.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Is+colorado+expensive&oq=Is+colorado+expensive&aqs=chrome..69i57.7688j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

there is any hippies in any state. every states is not an hippie states.

18. "hippie" is a mind set and a way of life man. Yeah, sometimes it's cool to hang out with like minded people but really it's about leading the kind of life you want wherever you are!

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Holy shite!!!!

That wouldn't get you an outhouse around here.

20. soulcompromise

I might be wrong, but I don't remember paying more than that. It's true... I don't think you can even rent a room for that.