The Problem With The Gym

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meagain, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Nice!

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I can go to any gym that has a Silver Sneakers program and sign up with them. 13,000 locations, I can sign up at multiple places.
    Then each time I go I show my card to a card reader, as the gym is open 24/7. The gym then gets reimbursed for each time I visit.
    [​IMG]
    So it's a freebie for me.
    The dude that runs the gym gets pissed sometimes as it's not always staffed and some people forget to show their card, then he doesn't get paid.

My wife has a membership.

I can use anything but tanning beds. The gym I go to has a senior class, but it's very basic. They sit in chairs and lift their legs and stuff like that.

I use machines and dumbbells, mostly.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's both. silver sneakers is a program where the insurance company basically pays the gym to let silver sneakers members use the gym facility, just like any gym member can. the same company also trains people to teach a few different silver sneakers branded classes that anyone can take, but they are designed for people of silver sneaker age.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm not a fan of going to the gym. It's basically the human equivalent to a hamster wheel.

Glad to be living in a place where I can be active outdoors year round. I said goodbye to gyms when I left the East Coast.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I could probably do some of what you're talking about. I get really paranoid about crime though. I don't want to say where I live though. But it has been a problem in my life. I feel like there are lots of unexpected things that could happen, more of them than at the gym. But you're right (about California). The weather is usually really mild like between 65 and 78 or something.. lol :)

I love my gym though so why take the risk really. I go to a Planet Fitness. It doesn't have as much weights as a 24 or Golds, but for my cardio needs it has a lot of treadmills and different eliptical (how do you spell that?) machines.

6. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Between 65-78 in california? Try between 80-105 :D

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

There is no shortage of memes and blogs on this very subject.

Some people are oblivious or just assholes.

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Well see now we're getting into the "where do ya live" territory. I don't want to go there. It's mild along the coast though. Mostly

9. r0llinstoned

When I used to work in the san fernando valley that shit sucked. Show up to work at 9am during summer and it would already be 95 degrees lol. I do live by the beahc now but still a bit hot out. Can't wait for 65 degree weather. Hopefully in October or November.

10. Noserider

I don't think it got above 70 this weekend. I don't know. It seemed pretty damn mild.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

no shortage of videos too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-91_iXATY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cEvDslxDdA

1 person likes this.
  12. r0llinstoned

wtf???? i'm pretty sure i know the area you're in and no way it was in the 60s lol. It has definitely been not as hot lately as a few weeks ago but no way 60s. I'd be in heaven

13. Noserider

What do I know. I never left the house. But I had the sliding door open and and the even turned off the AC Sunday morning--and I'm an insatiable AC slut.

But then it was warm again today :-/

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD7lbONHPwk

15. r0llinstoned

I'm a huge AC slut as well. In the car and in the house. It was definitely cooler over the weekend, though. That's forsure

16. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

I've always hated gyms until I started going to a bouldering gym. Whole other animal. The exercise works out a lot of your body while also engaging your mind... extremely meditative. People are usually significantly friendlier than in regular gyms as well. Changed my life.

17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It would be cool to have a home gym, but it's nice to have so many choices at the gym I go to. I wouldn't be able to think of everything, and I'm into cross fit workouts, so there's a lot of variation. I love running, and biking outdoors though. I see people training for races using treadmills and I'm like ahhh, how can they stand it for more than a few miles. :bigcry:

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what the heck is boldering, sounds like that greek guy who was always rolling one up the hill.

only time i've every been to a gym after graduating high school in 1966, was when i was living with some people in portland oregon,
    and they were rebuilding their house, (moving the bathroom so redoing all the plumbing) so there wasn't any place else to take a bath,

so we'd go to this spa/gym place that'd somehow gotten a discount membership to,
    and sauna, shower, and jacussi, then dry off and head home.

never, other then that, outside of school, ever been to one.