Cassini, The Final Pictures

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by morrow, Sep 15, 2017.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

spending 9 billion on space exploration seems better than spending it on bombs we use to kill ourselves

8 people like this.
  4. morrow

morrow Visitor

Always makes me think, with cut backs, they always find the cash for this stuff. I mean, is it useful? Or just boys playing at being space man stuff?

So go get me!

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

its not very useful yet but learning new things is always the right direction

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Education is always worth spending money on, it is the wisest investment we can make ... however, knowledge is to many is a power too - for those "in the know", and when they have such, the dissemination to the masses is always of dubious certainty - methinks

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I guess it depends on what the alternative was for that $9 billion.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Uhm, space exploration is awfully expensive. They ALWAYS have trouble funding.
    If they would always find the cash for this stuff as you seem to think there would be much more development. Space exploration mainly goes slow because its so expensive. Once we can mine asteroids and the like (one of the focus points of space exploration) it could very well become profitable :)

9. morrow

morrow Visitor

I still think research like that is behind the people that need.
    When does it ever end? Poverty is on the up, so is space travel.. mmmm which do I think should take centre stage, let me think!!!!! :)

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think we can work on both at the same time. Just because there are a lot of poor people is no reason to stop investing in space exploration.
    It doesn't have to be solely done by NASA or with government money though.

1 person likes this.
  11. morrow

morrow Visitor

I agree, the government's should take private companies on board, people like Branson. He is up to no end of investments, he could probably do more.

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

To put the price tag in some perspective, the federal budget for 2017 calls for $4,147,000,000,000 in spending. $9,000,000,000 is 0.217% of that. I think that is reasonable, we're a rich country.

13. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

It's food that feeds people not money! Space exploration is awesome and arguing against it because of global economic disparities is ridiculous. Sure, let's not go to other planets and see what's out there because people are starving and homeless. I'm sure the human race, with all it's many flaws could manage both if we just pulled our act together a bit better..