Yet Another Terrorist Attack

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by morrow, Sep 15, 2017.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

1 person likes this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When will the madness ever end, I swear. Good article, and I hope that no one out of the 22 victims sustained any serious injuries.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

any injury from an IED is serious.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Terror only wins when it achieves its aim - of fear.
    All these attacks prove is; or at least should do, us that in our acceptance of diverse culture/s we stand not opposite, but beside others in both condemnation and abhorrence of murderers and maniacs

5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Terror only wins when it achieves fear?

Tell that to the injured, the dead, and their families...

Count the dead bodies.
    Every dead body is a defeat.

3 people like this.
  6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

A World where anything can happen, but probably won't.

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

People need to Feel anger not Fear! If you had a wasps nest in your house would you try to Understand the fucking Wasps ?

1 person likes this.
  8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

No. Anger won't help. Only understanding and forgiveness. And love.

1 person likes this.
  9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Nice sentiment. The trouble is, neither side will back down. Neither side really want reconciliation. For forgiveness and understanding to prevail, there would have to be a will on both sides for that to happen. Even if most people did want it, it only takes a few fanatics to ensure the trouble will continue.

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I know. What I said is wilfully naive of me. I just refuse to live in anger. Maybe that's useless, but if it does anything to offset the anger and recrimination, then I think that's a good thing.

11. Rots in hell

No it was just a BS Post If one of your Family was Hurt you would Love and forgive the person that hurt them ?
    Tell that to the Families of the Manchester Attack victims ;)

Guess I am not a Good Hippie but I would Kill anyone that deliberately hurt my Family

12. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I dunno, obviously immediate tragedy of that kind is going to affect you, but I think it's a very important thing to try and maintain an objective outlook on this sort of thing when possible.

No-one's saying that those who have lost loved ones shouldn't feel anger, but It's fair to say that If the majority of the public and those who enact public policy felt anger to the same degree, then that would be very harmful. People who feel angry want the state to take deliberate vengeance on their behalf and are often blind to exactly whom that vengeance should fall upon. It has to be up to the rest of the people to maintain a more level-headed approach, whilst respecting the legitimacy of others' emotion.

The role of the state is not to take revenge, It is to keep the public safe. The angriest people are generally those who demand the strongest and therefore most emotionally satisfying action to be taken, even though objectively speaking we know that actions like these are all but guaranteed to increase the dangers faced by the public.

So yeah "love and understanding" might seem like wishy-washy hippie nonsense, but objectively speaking- you're dealing with a doomsday cult that recruits young people that feel dissafected, marginalised and demonised. The emotionally satisfying response of anger and recrimination is the best recruiting tool they could hope for. Cults thrive on us/them mentality and fantasies of persecution and discrimination. The more society reinforces these (or acts them out) the more legitimacy the cult has in the minds of its followers and recruits. Understanding the mindset of your enemy is key to defeating them. People are their most valuable resource, and where we neglect, alienate and persecute them, we put bombs and knives into their hands.

2 people like this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

14. Rots in hell

Good job he was loved and Understood Innit ??
    Fuck knows what he would have done otherwise

15. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

There is a balancing line between freedom of speech, movement, actions verses legal requirement, capability and capacity (to detain) with a near impossible task of protecting both rights of a (at a stage of non-conviction) individual against assured protection of all, public, peoples and places - and without wishing to start an off-track political debate - the consequences of austerity a major issue