The Problem With Dogs.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meagain, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I like German Shepherds, very intelligent dogs.

But, my neighbor has one, about 18 months old, beautiful female......but she needs training. She's been to two obedience classes and still jumps on me, and pulls on a leash. Not good. This women is about 110 lbs., the dog is about 70 lbs. and she can't control her. She has two choke chains on her and the dog still pulls on the leash.
    She was in her back yard and got the bright idea to wrap the leash around her waist and the dog took off. She fell because she couldn't let go of the leash and broke her arm very badly. Had to have plates put in and she's been in rehab for about 4 months now and still has problems. Very sad as she is an excellent artist with oil paints and is afraid she won't be able to paint anymore.
    I had to go with her to the vet because she can't stop the dog from pulling on that leash.

The last shepherd I had would sit, stay, come when called, heel, etc.; and she had been abused by her previous owner.
    Dogs are pretty easy to train if you're consistent.

2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Damn that was good...
    That's probably the real reason why I don't own ANY pets. As a kid it would tear me apart to see our pets die,especially dogs and cats. Had a special bond with all of them especially since I was the one who took care of all of them. The birds, fish, Guinea pigs, and hamsters-not so much.

1 person likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Get her to buy a pinch collar. That fixes and unnecessary pulling on leash. :) choke chains won't work because they just learn to flex their neck muscles and embrace it, once they hear those first few links they flex. But they can't do that with a pinch collar, cause then the pinchers will just pinch into the muscle.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Nope she has one of those too.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Some people just shouldnt have dogs that size

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well does she pull on the pinch collar? :d yank that thing, make her squeel!

7. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If humans are lacking all discipline, then what can we expect of their dogs?

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Other than the age and stamina issue I don't see a problem with a dog that walks on the end of its leash. Heeling is show ring stuff, I like that enquisiting behaviour. Dogs being out sniffing everything is their way of reading the newspaper. With every pole being a new column. :d

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I have a Pit Bull and my girlfriend has 3 cats. Obviously we have some anti-cat people here. Your posts have been shown to her and chuckled at. This women is going to be the Simpsons cat lady one day. I am pretty sure she would save the cats before me in a fire since in her mind I know how to get out. Her fury children do not.
    [​IMG]

People usualy have an issue with the breed of my dog not her behavior. Although I did get yelled at by neighbor (who is not really suburban house close even) about her barking. I explained she is barking at your kids riding their ATVs down the dirt road that connects the houses and the main paved road to town. This is a very silent forest area and the noise they make is stimulating to her. I probably sound like a typical dog owner but she is "saying hello".

I am honestly not bothered when a dog jumps up to say hello. I guess it's simple don't come to my house if have a problem with animals. They are going to be here and they are going to be doing animal things. It does not mean they will be shitting in your drink but it's their house and I have no issue getting my pet to behave when I need to. I suppose we are both filthy hippies though so our standards are lower.

How is this the dog's fault? So because people get passionate about owning them no one should own them? People murder each other over many things.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the real problem with terrestrial non-humans, is humans.

(but dogs in particular, and it varies with individuals just like any species,
    but generally just too hyper and rambunctious, and at the same time, too dependent.)

of course there's a certain kind of person, not saying anything wrong with them,
    who WANT their companions to be that way.

that's ok. but i'm not one of them.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The only problem I have with having dogs is that I cannot leave them alone in the house for a few days and be foot loose and fancy free for little trips.....Now, with cats...as long as you put water all around and food all around and clean litter boxes.....with only 3 cats now.....they would be good alone for 5 days or so....once Grayson gets a little older first, of course, and completely comfortable and not afraid of anything in this house..

2 people like this.