Bell's Theorem

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by egger, Sep 11, 2017.

1. egger

egger Member

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You should probably give us some background information first. :)

3. egger

egger Member

See the history section of the article.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah but, a link isn't enticing me to do that. This is like one them spammer posts.

1 person likes this.
  5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, like who is bell, what is his theorem, why should we care? i could post links all day, but without some commentary nobody will click them and no discussion will be generated.

6. egger

egger Member

China Shatters “Spooky Action at a Distance” Record, Preps for Quantum Internet

Results from the Micius satellite test quantum entanglement, pointing the way toward hack-proof global communications—and a new space race

By Lee Billings on June 15, 2017

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/china-shatters-ldquo-spooky-action-at-a-distance-rdquo-record-preps-for-quantum-internet/

excerpt:

"Einstein famously derided as “spooky action at a distance” one of the most bizarre elements of quantum theory—the way that measuring one member of an entangled pair of particles seems to instantaneously change the state of its counterpart, even if that counterpart particle is on the other side of the galaxy. This was abhorrent to Einstein, because it suggests information might be transmitted between the particles faster than light, breaking the universal speed limit set by his theory of special relativity. Instead, he and others posited, perhaps the entangled particles somehow shared “hidden variables” that are inaccessible to experiment but would determine the particles’ subsequent behavior when measured. In 1964 the physicist John Bell devised a way to test Einstein’s idea, calculating a limit that physicists could statistically measure for how much hidden variables could possibly correlate with the behavior of entangled particles. If experiments showed this limit to be exceeded, then Einstein’s idea of hidden variables would be incorrect."

7. egger

egger Member

Two videos from the Youtube channel Looking Glass Universe that explain Bell's theorem in a non-mathmatical way. This Youtube channel has videos that explain quantum mechanics

8. Getting bored of all this quantum weirdness. People are proof enough that the universe is totally fucked up.

Womblejohn likes this.
  9. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Nonlocal Peas

Einstein was an upper middle class physicist,
    Who loudly complained about the service,
    Insisting it was "spooky" action-at-a-distance!
    That God would never be so malicious!
    Dice could not determine his future!
    While Bohr told him to shut up,
    And eat his peas, like a good boy!
    Bell then reassured him they were not local,
    But, imported peas would not exactly kill him,
    Even if, he might actually wish he were dead.​

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. srgreene

srgreene Members

Einstein never found, or even described, any hidden variables, did he?

11. wooleeheron

No such luck, and the hidden variable idea actually died 75 years ago, despite vehement protests by fans of Bohmian Mechanics and countless others to this very day. The idea that nature has a sense of humor, and some things will never make any sense to us, is simply anathema to classically trained physicists. Many have called quantum mechanics "wave mechanics" simply because that is the most useful way to make calculations, and my own belief is it needs to be reformulated along similar lines to modern music theory, which emphasizes the silences between the notes as being capable of conveying any emotion or thought. Quanta are more contextual, painting classical physics in an entirely new light as expressing the context dependence of the laws of physics.

12. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

I opened the link, and was hit with a wall of text!

I tried to read it, but got sooo bored almost halfway through the first sentence.

got a TLDR version?

13. egger

egger Member

A video that presents the text in the link of the first post.

Quantum Entanglement & Spooky Action at a Distance
    Veritasium

youtube video

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

"spooky action" is the dumbest thing Einstein ever said.

15. Kerri

Kerri Members

Hey may not have been wrong in the end about quantum theory

16. wooleeheron

It is spooky, because peek-a-boo is spooky, but the whole point is to learn how to love.

17. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

When humans don't understand something they tend to revert to ancient superstitions. "It's spooky', "It must be supernatural", "It must be God"... I think it really taints Einstein's genius. It also taints the credibility of science when scientists create so many misleading names and titles for their work. Especially in the field of quantum mechanics. "Spin" is not spin at all but magnetic position or polarity. "Superposition" really just means we don't know. "Entanglement" really just means pairs of same or opposite oriented particles. "Teleportation" just means verifying an expected polarity...

18. Kerri

Kerri Members

To be fair these are somewhat taken out of context - they’re terms not necessarily meant for general public discussion but rather used in tne context of the field where people understand the meaning

19. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

With the high competition for funding and notoriety, I think the motives behind some of these creative terms is not so innocent.

20. Kerri

Kerri Members

I certainly can’t say myself what the motivations are