Sex After Menopause. How Many Can Still Lubricate Well When Aroused?

Discussion in 'Genitalia' started by Tarp, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tarp

Tarp Member

I understand that vaginal dryness is part of the aging process. However, to what degree does menopause affect natural lubrication from arousal? Does it completely disappear or simply lessen over time? Can women in their 50's, having reached menopause, still lubricate? Does arousal feel different for them?

My wife is perimenopausal but when aroused, produces as much natural lube as she did 20 years ago. We both enjoy it, her the way it feels getting to that point of arousal and me witnessing it. My wife is worried that sex as we know it is about to come to a screeching halt. I don't believe it will, but can't be sure.

Would love to read about these questions and any other post menopause vaginal experiences any of you are willing to share.

2. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

My wife is 60 and still lubricates quite well. It doesn't take much foreplay before she is soaking wet.

3. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Agree with Exexec.My wife is 59 and gets wet quickly. Don't stress over this.

Klimax2gether likes this.
  4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

How about a person with a vagina answering, mansplainers? (Just had to moderate a ton of that crap elsewhere)

Ok, estrogen levels dropping can cause thinning of vaginal membranes and less lubrication. The two together mean painful sex. And those tears invite bacterial vaginosis, so no.
    HRT can stop the process from getting worse. Estrogen creams applied to the vagina (compared to HRT, which is pills) assist in thickening the membranes.

Some research suggests wild yam cream will also do the same. Inconclusive at the peer review level, but anecdotal evidence is strong. And since it's a percursor to estrogen, it's less harmful.

Personally, I'm buffered from perimenopause by progesterone in my IUD. And I intend to ride it all the way through. No change of life kidlets for me.
    I do notice early lubrication is fine, but it sort of gives out. So I use a good organic lube as needed.
    I turn 49 next Sunday, so I cannot speak to arousal in the 5th decade, but I'm close, and started perimenopause a tad early.
    My experience is that arousal is different. It's better, can be a touch slower. Lubrication can be inconsistent, as I said above, but the spirit is still there.

5. Tarp

Tarp Member

Thanks, everyone.

And Drumminmama - While it would be great to hear from those with vaginas, I actually appreciate the other respondents and their experiences.

My wife also has an IUD, merina. The dr didn't say anything about it buffering perimenopause. She never needs lube. If anything, she produces too much. Always been that way.

Thanks for the info wild yam cream. Will look into that.

Would love to hear from women who have reached menopause, but all responses are appreciated from anyone, vagina or not. :)

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

People need to do the research on the drugs that use, and a Mirena is a locally- adaptive drug.
    I'm part of the group that has no periods on Mirena. Some women will have light, or quarterly periods, too.

Given that I'm not having erratic periods (although I notice the cycle in other ways and it's not as regular as before), perimenopause is basically on hold until menopause is done.

For me, that's great.

7. Klimax2gether

Klimax2gether Members

Menopause did not change anything regard to vaginal wetness of my wife. She reached menopause several year ago. She is not hormone supplements at all. But we have sex every week and she gets wet quickly with the right foreplay. Some times watching sex programmes on the television will make her wet. If you maintain your weight, good diet, exercise, yoga all will enhance your sexual health.

8. chocolatesexherbs

chocolatesexherbs Members

I found TCM herbs that enhance the sex big time even after menopause!! I could not find anything but big pharma and nothing for women but these herbs worked great! They are from a TCM Doctor who works in Canada. Thanks to him I have sex back in my life with no pain and plenty of sensation and lubrication! Wow
    Back to being juicy lucy again thanks to labeedoh.

Jessi123 likes this.
  9. ZoeSanderson

ZoeSanderson Visitor

ahhah
    woow!

Klimax2gether likes this.
  10. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

My wife's libido dropped a bit after menopause, but not significantly. She still enjoys sex and looks forward to it, but it takes a little more work to get her in the mood. I sometimes have to use a bit of lube to get her started, but then she gets as wet as ever and has great orgasms. We have sex a couple of times a month, which is the sweet spot for us.

11. Wyoming455

Wyoming455 Members

I'm quite interested in this topic. My wife, too, has gone through menopause. In the midst of it, her drive took a nose dive. It's since recovered a bit, but not to the level it was before the changes began. Our "pace" is a couple times per week, so I can't complain. However, many of them are her just wanting to please me.

I'd love to get back to the times where she was wanting to get off as much as I do. Love seeing my best gal totally aroused and sex-crazed. :smiley:

bananaman321 and olderndirt like this.
  12. Klimax2gether

Klimax2gether Members

We are facing the same problem. We are in 60s. Sometime she gets the mood and gets wet quickly. I realised that she gets wet quickly if we watch some couple friendly sex videos during foreplay. But generally she does not like the idea of watching sex videos purely to get us in the mood. Having said that, we manage have sex at least once a week with both reaching orgasm at the same time.

bananaman321 likes this.
  13. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

It seems that you are doing well sexually if you are having mutually satisfying sex once a week. My wife likes to ready a sexy story to help get her in the mood.

14. Klimax2gether

Klimax2gether Members

At least there is some harmless way for your wife to get her in the mood. I found some times sex stories on some web sites are very erotic. I hope you will find new ways to keep both of your sex desire glowing.

olderndirt likes this.
  15. Klimax2gether

Klimax2gether Members

How often (frequency) you are able to have fulfilling sex?

16. Klimax2gether

Klimax2gether Members

It is true ladies libido after menopause. I thing it is due to hormonal imbalance. It is the same with my wife. I need to initiate sex almost everytime. Once in the act she enjoys fully. I always wanted her to initiate at least sometimes.

Lubrication is not a problem but as you said it takes time. I found she gets really wet, when we watch a sex video as our foreplay. On the other hand she does not like the idea of watching sex films to put us in the mood.

Other than that as we get older the quality of sex is more enjoyable and we are not in a rush to perform. It appears that we have better quality sex now than we had when we were young.

bananaman321 and olderndirt like this.
  17. Barry Thrift

Barry Thrift Members

One thing you have to remember that all women are different when it comes to getting wet for sex, my wife went dry in her late 30s or could have been earlier, we used baby oil for years till she got reaction to it, it was something like30 years later now on coconut oil it works well and its good for anal, but there vits women can take to overcome dryness and they work well.

But there lots of lubs in shops, also try reading Dr Betty Dobson she uses many types of oil even at her age she is over 90.