Movies People Don't Expect You To Like

Discussion in 'Movies' started by neoprene_queen, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Everyone must have a few movies that they like that shock people. "Oh my God, you like that movie!?! I never woulda guessed!"

A lot of my favorite movies include sappy romantic classics like It Happened One Night, The Egg and I, Some Like it Hot, and lesbian chic movies like But I'm a Cheerleader or movies with quirky gals like Juno or ball-bustlingly funny comedies like We're the Millers and Bridesmaids (and pretty much anything with Kate McKinnon). This usually doesn't surprise anyone. However, some of my other favorites include:

Jaws
    Die Hard
    King Kong
    On Golden Pond

What movies do you like that surprise people?

1 person likes this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Notting Hill

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pride and prejudice (the one with Colin Firth), Sense and sensibility

4. Harry Potter...that ice skating movie from the eighties or early nineties with the boy and girl who ice skate together. Fast and the Furious. Titanic, but how could you not. Kate is hot. It's also cool when the ship goes down.

I kind of wonder, though, because I have a lot of faith in American industrialism...was that ship sabotaged? I think it's quite possible. Would definitely kill America, that. But back to movies...

Heck I even liked Human Centipede.

5. Noserider

I thought it was a British ship.

Also, the ice skating movie...Cutting Edge?

6. I think it was cutting edge.

Yes you are correct it was manufactured in Belfast. Left dock in America. I don't know something just seems fishy to me. It was a steel hull, right? Am I to believe that ice can be so hard it can cut through steel? I thought only diamond could cut through steel. What was the hull made of, tin? I keep seeing all these renderings of a huge gash in it, though. I'm not sure if that has ever actually been caught on tape under the water, but I find that, at least, difficult to believe.

7. Noserider

8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

The recent Spiderman movie, because I don't typically like super hero films.

Fences with Denzel Washington, because I don't like Denzel Washington, but he was amazing in this movie. The movie itself was a little stagnant, but the acting was great.

Avatar because of the political undertones, but I still liked it.

There's a bunch more, but those are the top three I can think of for now. :)

9. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Many years ago, I went to the movies out of boredom to see Steel Magnolias. Yes, Chic flick, but I liked it!
    -John Carpenter's version of "The Thing". So much shit was talked about that movie and Siskel and Ebert gave it thumbs down...fuckin movie was awesome, what the hell?!

-"At Close Range" with Christopher Walken and Sean Penn. I really didn't think I would get into it, but my friends convinced me that I would like it.

-"Best of the Best" (1st one). James Earl Jones was the coach of a US Olympic Taekwon-do team training to fight Team Korea. The end was a tear jerker for me.

-"Scent of a Woman" with Al Pacino was excellent, especially the speech at the end! Went to the movies with some friends not really thinking it would be much, but to my surprise I love this movie to this day!

-"Star Wars Episode 1-Phantom Menace" When they talked about going back to when it all started I really wasn't all that interested, until I saw a picture of Darth Maul in a sci-fi magazine, holding the dual light saber staff. I was mesmerized and just stood there looking for a long time. When the movie came out, I went to see it 5 times in 2weeks, just so I could watch Darth Maul in action!

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  10. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (the original 1990 version.) Some seem surprised that i bought the dvd. I didn't like the remake of it.

A Walk To Remember. I'm normally not into romance movies but that one i really enjoyed.

Wizard of Oz, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Considering that i'm more a horror, suspense movie kinda guy.

I think most would be surprised that i weep at happy endings.

Eric! likes this.
  11. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Lion King was one of my Disney all time favorites, until I stumbled into this cartoon while I was in Japan. This Japanese animation
    Was created in the 1965, and the Lion King has very striking similarities. "Zimba the Lion"

https://youtu.be/FgeBFRjWxiU

https://youtu.be/wOHjktwvqdE

12. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I dunno really what movies I'm supposed to like.....Four Weddings & a funeral, maybe.

13. Ladylays

Ladylays Members

Moonstruck is one

14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

That lego superhero film.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Titanic
    The Last Mimzy
    Akira

16. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Bridgette Jones!!!!!!

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I went to see Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy once with an ex and he was surprised by how much I enjoyed it

At that point in my life I hadnt tapped into my full nerd potential. It probably wouldnt surprise anyone now

I still need to read the book

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

My response to that movie would be like the opposite of this thread. I thought I would enjoy it and it was recommended to me but I didn't like it much at all. Perhaps the expectations might have been set too high and/or perhaps was not in the right mood or ambiance.

Although, I still want to give the book a chance, my friend whose opinion I value on such things claims "It's the greatest science fiction book ever written." I'll take that statement in context of appealing to his specific personality and not set the bar for it THAT high but I do look forward to reading it.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That's nothing! You haven't tapped into any serious nerd potential until you dig stuff like Star Trek or Star Wars (although that elf and wizard fantasy stuff also counts of course :p)
    What about the original Star wars trilogy? :D (my guess would be you find them ok at best)

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've seen all the Star Wars movies in bits and pieces over the years, I need to find time to watch them all in their entirety

I prefer the original triology to the newer ones, but probably not a fair assessment to make until i watch them all the way through

I used to watch Star Trek with my dad when I was a wee little kid. I hated it :sweatsmile:. And have never felt like giving it another chance and probably never will

I'm a half nerd, not a pure breed. A mudblood nerd if you will