Hurricane Season 2017

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by morrow, Sep 5, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The open sea. Or maybe up to Georgia or Bermuda if I have enough gas and wind to get me that far. My sister used to live in Miami, and I'd visit her. If I lived there i'd invest in watercraft.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

He would go to the bottom of the sea, of course....

2 people like this.
  3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Meteorologist Jason Dunning

Like This Page · 4 hrs ·

It's very important when seeing updates on Hurricane Irma to remember that the storm isn't just a point on a map. This is a massive storm, close to being the size of Florida if you measure the distance of its cloud shield from one end to the other. The tropical storm force wind field is 320 miles wide. The hurricane wind field is 120 miles wide. There's a high chance most all of Florida will be impacted in some way based on the storm's expected movement along the peninsula. If you live in South Florida and live close to the coast, the sooner you leave the better. There will likely be simultaneous evacuations on both coasts, making northbound traffic a nightmare.

https://www.************/JasonDunningWx/photos/a.578499302208849.1073741825.172664589458991/1561034247288678/?type=3&theater

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

It will be hard to outrun this storm from Florida. People tend to get lost in other places when they do evacuate. There will be major flooding in Georgia. More so, people not from there may find themselves on flooded roadways.. It may also stall over land and sea. Bringing in more rain.. Cant take anything for granted in this case.

2 people like this.
  5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

If it's still projected to be cat-5 when it hits, it might be a good idea to try to talk some sense into them

One of the problems is with the rating system, which can be misleading.

The energy level, and the destructive power, is way higher at cat-5.

This hurricane currently has sustained 185mph winds. It would only need 157mph winds to qualify as a cat-5.

The only reason this storm isn't a cat-6 is because the rating system doesn't go that high.

This appears to be one of the strongest Atlantic hurricanes ever recorded.

A better rating system would classify this as a category "put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye" storm.

I recommend reading up a little about hurricanes, this hurricane in particular, and hopefully passing on an appropriate sense of the gravity of the storm.

Depending on the storm path, what happens to the energy level, and where they live, they may not survive this.

They may have been through so many other hurricanes that they are not correctly evaluating the danger level of this one

6. 6-eyed shaman

Fuck it I'm getting a submarine

2 people like this.
  7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I'm in the upstate SC, and its raining here...earlier there was a bit of a thunder/lightening storm.

I wonder what's going to happen...

But I'm worried for my good friend in Oregon, and all of them out there though. But not a single word is being given to these awful fires that are burning up thousands of acres and some homes, and they are places with some of the highest economy in the states! Los Angeles and parts of Oregon

Then Irma is fixing to do something...I'm truthfully a little worried about the winds because I live in a veritable forest. There are any number of large trees with large limbs all around the house. My goodness.

1 person likes this.
  8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I live 3 + hours inland and my mom always likes to tell the tale of when Hugo hit Charleston and the wind was so strong 3 hours inland from Charleston it bent this massive cypress tree in our yard in half so the top of it touched the ground.

Hugo was a monster but this thing is massive even compared to Hugo, I think most of Florida plus Georgia and the Carolinas are going to experience some kind of ill effects from this. I usually wouldnt worry about hurricanes here but I think I am going to take some precautions in case of flooding or power outages from wind gusts. People near the coast need to GTFO, I know coastal people like to be all blase about hurricanes but Irma looks like she isn't going to play around

4 people like this.
  9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

WOW 185 mph winds only Hurricane Allen back in 1980 was stronger at 190 mph.

My first experience with a Hurricane was Gloria back in 1985 which targeted Southern New England.
    Those 90 mph winds took down half the trees in our yard and we had no power for days.

Hotwater

10. Aerianne

My brother in law had tons of pine trees down at his place in Charlotte from Hugo.

We had flooding in South Metro Atlanta from Opal.

Yeah, I'm getting ready for this.

11. 6-eyed shaman

Ugh yeah the smoke is so thick up here it's like driving through fog. And you can see the sun without protective eyeware. Today I got to see small black sunspots in broad daylight through the smoke. Sunspots are solar storms up to 5X the size of the earth.

The highest wind I've ever lived through was a 100mph wind current. I can't imagine 180. Damn. We could sure use some rainwater up here.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

And... Tropical storm Jose is forming right behind Irma. Jus'sayin'

13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yP1tcy9a10

1 person likes this.
  14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^Trump ordered ICE to create an impenetrable barrier along the Southeastern US to keep out Jose ^^

1 person likes this.
  15. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

oh man...I so hate it for you. My friend, her family and her friends are all getting affected, and she said tonight it was so awful the animals didn't even want to go out...and they have rigged up some kind of air-conditioning screen over a fan...they were posting about it. It is supposed to help keep the air clean in a room.

I wish to God they could load some big containers of water up in TX and drop it up there.

Are you not going to leave?

16. Aerianne

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I really really wish my friend and her family would load up the animals and freakin GET OUT of there.

She's saying her grow and grapes are going to have a smoky flavor this year. ha

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

1 person likes this.
  19. 6-eyed shaman

Can't afford to leave right now. I'm considering becoming a weekend firefighter to help slay the dragon.

I was thinking we could use that hurricane. But on second thought, the 150mph winds will spread the fire faster than ever.

20. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

I've never seen a natural disaster. What's that like?