Is This The Worst Time To Be Mentally Ill In This Country?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Jimbee68, Sep 2, 2017.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ i found her. apparently she's a british singer. none of my exes looked as good as her foot.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

When is the best time to be mentally ill in any country?

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There is less stigma now than there used to be

But also in the 80s my schizophrenic uncle shot at an EMT with the police standing right there and they took him in alive. Pretty sure he would be shot on sight now. So there's that

But mental health services have been stripped pretty bare over the last few decades

But at least I dont have to worry about my significant other labeling me as hysterical and sticking me in an asylum the rest of my life just because I'm feeling a little overemotional

4. sickgirl

sickgirl Members

Hi, I think that in the year 2017, it is not a bad time at all for society to be dealing with mental illness. There are actually commercials on tv for psychiatric medications for depression, bipolar disorder, etc! Years ago, this was not the case. People are more aware than ever about mental illness, I do believe. Yes, there is definitely still a stigma for having mental illness. I, for example have bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, and a.d.d. When and if I choose to tell certain people that I have these disorders, sometimes they do not believe me. Some say ignorant things like “oh everyone is bipolar, and they laugh, or simply do not believe me. I know how to dress very well, and look very stylish when I go out. This makes people think I’m “ok,” when it’s sometimes just not true. I think some ignorant people think that those with mental illness are typical bums on the street (unwashed, talking to themselves, etc..) Again, that is not true, and is very judgmental of them. Lots more people are seeing psychiatrists these days, in my opinion. It’s alot more common. (I take my meds daily and see a psychotherapist and psychiatrist to help me get better)..For the most part, people in our society are more aware than ever about mental illness, but it would be nice if more people were more open and accepting if it, and not judgmental of those of us who unfortunately have to deal with this for the rest of our lives, you know?

tumbling.dice likes this.
  5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

id say its a great time to be mentally ill

it looks like the government gives them free dope money and pays their rent...how great is that

i get this info from watching judge judy

kurisu wilso likes this.
  6. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

I guess when compared to the past I think it's a pretty good era to be mentally ill. -- I've heard some states have better care for the mentally ill.

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

No way, mass incarceration and that documentary on solitary confinement that was on net flix. USA 2018 is a Horror show.

Jail and prisons are the new asylums.