Is Changing The Past Really Unethical?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Aug 26, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

If you prevent something bad something worse can happen. Sometimes maybe humanity needs evil things to happen or else we do not learn why it was evil. Like every time travel movie you might mess things up if you meddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uom7-WKeZA

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well that's why we don't want the statues taken down. Can't learn from past history and mistakes if you eradicate the history.

Only thing they're teaching younger generations is that if you complain enough you'll get your way and if you don't just destroy things to equal out the universe and it is justified.

3 people like this.
  3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If it were possible, I'd use time travel to go back and correct the imperfections with my current life. No, I do not believe everything happens in this world for a divine reason; that all our fates and outcomes were meant to be. I'd go back to exactly one year and 5 days ago and correct some stupid shit that went down around that time.

1 person likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Definitely personal life yeah.

Id go back to when I was in America, this time I'd just throw myself at Jeff Gordon. I wouldn't give him the opportunity to ignore me lol.

5. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Technically we can only meddle with the perception of the past, and whilst karma is karma and loops in and back on itself anyway, why no? the biggest thing is the internal taboo and respect of sacred rites

6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think it's tempting to assume that if the past were somehow different, even in our personal lives (I've often thought if my childhood was better, my life would be perfect now) - that the present and future would be without struggle or better, somehow. But, all it would be is different than now, not necessarily...better. I wish we did get some second chances though, to make better choices in the past, if we made some mistakes. But, if we learn from those mistakes, were they really mistakes? #thinkingoutloud

I don't think it's ''unethical,'' but it won't turn out the way you think it might.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well yeah. sometimes mistakes can change your life for the better, but they're still mistakes.

8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Yea, maybe they're meant to remain that way so we don't make them again.

These topics remind me of discussions around determinism, and if everything is pre-determined (if you believe in that), then we have no free will, and therefore we are not responsible for our choices. I believe we have free will, though. But, anyways. lol These topics remind me of that.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Be very psychic , then determinism is subverted and free-will may evolve .

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]?

1 person likes this.
  11. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

If someone did change the past how would we ever know? It would only be potentially bad for time travelers that had knowledge of other time lines. Personally, I believe everything happens for a reason.

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Someone could convince you they changed the past , just as an unethical Science may mess with your memory . Can this be
    defended against ? Psychically , yes .

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the answer to the topic question might be another question. specifically: is the reason for doing so or wanting to, itself, "ethical"?
    that may even be the only real answer to it.

the issues it raises are an infinite recursion of complexity. for which reason, should the technical capacity ever arise,
    reasonable limitations on its application would be, to say the least, highly desirable.

how much recursion can the fabric of entropy/time withstand?
    and what happens if it gets worn too thin and holes in it start to appear?

is there any way to stop an infinite recursion of complexity?
    maybe "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow"?