The Original Recipe For Punch...

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Jimbee68, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am fascinated by words. Specifically, their original meaning. Did you know for example, "grog" was originally the nickname for Admiral Vernon, because he wore a grogram coat? The British sailors originally called him that. And all it really is is rum and water. That's it. Oh, sure you can add sugar and lemon juice and hot water. But rum and water was the original meaning.

Anyway, that brings us to punch. It is an Indian word meaning "five", because it originally had five Ingredients in it. But try as I might over the years, no one seems to know what the five original Ingredients are. Google is no help either
    Do any of you know?

BTW I have had a couple of drinks tonight. But I am actually limiting myself from what I usually have because I have to get up early the next day. So no grog for me tonight (which is sad, because it is one of my favorite drinks).

Thanks to all who reply :)

1 person likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

It was a process, not a recipe.

Start here
    http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season13/punch/punch_tran.htm

Here's the thing about Indian cuisine, especially spice blends (masalas). Everyone has their own spin. It is what makes the cooks desired, the family recipe secret (and special) and so on.

There's a basic definition, but the rest is pure improv.