Bookshelves

Discussion in 'Books' started by autophobe2e, Aug 24, 2017.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I've just put up some new bookshelves to deal with the overflow.

I'm a big fan of bookshelves on the whole, and a right nosy bugger about checking out what people have on theirs.

Would a thread of pictures of bookshelves be cool? I think it would, but only time will tell.

I'll whack some photos up tomorrow.

RainyDayHype and Piaf like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Cool we are doing the same actually and will e getting a double shelf for my study. Right now my single shelf is over flow and the middle of the new double shelf will hold my statues etc. :)

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hell yes a thread on bookshelves would be cool

I made a book shelf a few weeks ago, nothing elaborate, just a weird wooden box I found left by the previous owners in my shed that was lined with plastic and it had dirt in it, I guess it was used for plants. I just took the plastic out, added shelves, sanded and stained it. I'm pretty happy about it. I'll show mine if you show me yours

So now I have two bookshelves, the other is kind of cheap though. I really want to build a few more out of a nice hardwood until my entire living room is lined with them

1 person likes this.
  4. autophobe2e

These shelves are literally bog standard, cheapest I could find, but before this all these books were piled up on my mantelpiece and I started to worry that they might pull it away from the wall eventually.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd love to see yours if anyone wants to post 'em (and if they're homemade/creative bookshelves, that's all to the good, mine are plain as hell) I wanna be nosy about the titles you've got up.

tumbling.dice, RainyDayHype and Piaf like this.
  5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Mine are plain as hell as well.
    I can only see one pic though (not sure if you posted more?)

So first pic, upper shelf
    First and last book, can't see what they are?

Bottom shelf, midfle-ish
    That WEIRD book looks weird, and the next two books look interesting...especially the black one

1 person likes this.
  6. autophobe2e

Hmm, yeah posted 3, I'll have another crack at it.

So, upper shelf- first book (on the left) is The Narrator by Michael Cisco

And the last book on the right is Spanky by Christopher Fowler, a Faustian-pact horror novel, then you can just see a red sliver of Civilwarland in Bad Decline, a short story collection by George Saunders.

The Weird earns its title, it's a collection of weird fiction with 109 stories in it covering the whole of the 20th century, best anthology I own. Next to that (with the pentagram on) is a compendium of 3 occult novels by Dennis Wheatley (The Devil Rides out, To the Devil a Daughter and Gateway to Hell), next to that is the Necronomicon, the complete works of HP Lovecraft.

Here's the other shelves

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Who wrote the Terror book?

I see we have very different taste in books xD

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The office hippie bookshelf is constructed out of cement blocks and old lumber, although milk crates may be substituted in a pinch.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Shush...It's the book elves

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Eloise, here is a book that will forever remind me of you now. The Eloise books are charming....I have a few of them, but not the plaza book

Now bookshelves? I have quite a few bookcases all around the house......and overstock of books in the sheds...both of them I am drowning in books.....lol

I picked up a huge doll house bookcase yesterday that is really a bookcase. (I don't thiink anyone else seeing it realized that) at a giveaway sale on my way home to put more books in in the basement......There are shelves down there, too. It is stackable wooden boxes with a roof on top..I would not have been able to get it in the car if it had not been able to come in pieces that you just stack up and take apart.....and a giveaway price of $1.00...Unheard of for something as nice and sturdy as it is.

[​IMG]

McFuddy and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  11. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

A few of my shelves. Feels very personal to share these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Haha yeah, I remembered that book when I chose my username ;)
    But now I wish I had gone with EloiseInMoscow instead, but oh well.

I am curious about your doll house bookcase. I hope you take a picture of it.

13. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

OK, once I find a place in the basement to put it....and then stack it up again. I will take a photo and put a photo of it here.

14. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
    eggsprog likes this.
  15. I must say, I even like eggsprog's lady figurine in third pic haha

eggsprog likes this.
  16. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Bookshelf under construction. A few of my books..
    IMG_20180624_120246113_LL.jpg

17. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I found it difficult to start switching to digital because it effectively removes bookshelves from the equation. Plus I like the feeling of having it in my hands. Does that make me old? (Rhetorical question, folks)

And yeah, inspecting others bookshelves is always a treat. :p

18. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I used to work at Borders and I remember we had to pitch the Nook,digital reader. It made me sad and I was Soo against it lol. Years later I worked for Amazon and got a Kindle. I'm able to read on a screen much better than on book pages. I get so distracted with a book in my hands. I still love books. I prefer reading online after all though so I do purchase digital books through Amazon.