Noam Chomski: Antifa Is A Gift To The Right

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Fueled by Coffee, Aug 19, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Progressive scholar Noam Chomski claims Antifa fans the flames they seek to extinguish.

By blocking speeches, resorting to violence , assault, battery, arson etc. the movement is very "self destructive."

Full article here: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/noam-chomsky-antifa-is-a-major-gift-to-the-right/article/2631786

I never aligned with Noam's economic philosophy, but I always valued his 2 cents. I think he's right this time. Because only a moron would think it's a good idea to prevent fascism with fascism.

3 people like this.
  2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

It's the Hegelian Dialectic at play.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I never valued his 2 cents

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I knew in advance who made this thread :p

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I spent some time on an Antifa facebook page today. They dumb.

1 person likes this.
  6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I agree to a degree.

This is correct about the violent portions of the movement.

7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No doubt Antifa needs to become less provocative, they're doing more harm than good. But in the 60's we had the Weathermen, the SDS and the Black Panthers, and in the end the Anti-War movement succeeded despite the riots and the shootings. Likewise the Anti-Trump movement will succeed despite Antifa. We've already had the (hopefully last) equivalent to Kent State in Charlottesville, bringing more Americans against the white supremacists and the President who doesn't condemn them.

8. 6-eyed shaman

9. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

"When confrontation shifts to the arena of violence, it's the toughest and most brutal who win – and we know who that is," said Chomsky

My problem with his reasoning is that the violence is always way out of any balance. If you have a 10 to 1 advantage, of COURSE you're going to win, but does that define which groups is the "toughest"? I don't think so. People who do that kind of ganging up on others are usually complete wimps when they are singled out. Maybe it's why they hide their faces.

It's certainly not fear of the cops, who sit on their thumbs once the violence starts.

10. Eleven

Eleven Member

Isn't it ironic that anarchists, who say they are against government and cops, have appointed themselves arbitars of who deserves free speech?

I suspect many come from such privileged backgrounds, they have no idea how viscious folks can be on the far right. Which is a second reason they should just stay home.

See the article "The Atlantic" has on Antifa: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-rise-of-the-violent-left/534192/

11. 6-eyed shaman

12. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

1 person likes this.
  13. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

like some members of the Nazi party who were cruel, eh! Can't tar them all with the same brush - is that what you're saying. It's a fucking herd of Visigoths we're dealing with here.

14. newo

Freedom of speech protects you from getting arrested for speaking out, it doesn't protect you from public censure or backlash. I don't like Antifa but I like white supremacists a lot less. 40,000 people showed up in Boston to oppose the so-called free speech rally and the vast majority of them had nothing to do with Antifa. Apparently there's one good thing Antifa does, they get these alt-right gatherings publicized so that counter-protesters can show up in force.

1 person likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ha ha ha, Antifa, ha ha ha.

1 person likes this.
  16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I would agree with you, as anyone that can do that to an animal should be put to death.

17. newo

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

19. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

I don't like free speech either. I don't like how it gives white people the right to have an opinion about bad things. So I'm with you brother!

20. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If fascism goes unchecked, unchallenged, and not stomped out while it's a small flame, then you will allow it to become a blazing inferno beyond control. People are sick to death of that shit and are tired of a system that allows this rhetoric to go on.