What's Your Practice? And Does It Work In Theory?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Gangster Guru, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

They can. But so can ignorance and uncritical atheism. Religion has motivated people to help their neighbors, build hospitals, and otherwise participate in organized altruism. It can be a source of meaning and morality for many. It's mainly the fundamentalist variants that are the problem--and the politicians. Religion should have no obvious connection to climate change, except to encourage people to take care of the planet and avoid catastrophes that cause suffering and death.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm no champion of religion, although I have my personal beliefs, but what the Hell is so good about "Modern progress".

3. Music is close to religion as I get. What reveals more about humanity? Understand creation, understand creator. Or just listen to good tunes and get high. Don't understand they listen to your heart as much as listen to theirs.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Compare medieval christian society to modern secular.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah... Modern christians have cars.

1 person likes this.
  6. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Well I by progress I wasn't talking about corporate growth and land development. I meant progress like green energy and technology that improves our lives. I did mention climate change so I was hoping that context would be obvious.

7. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

"Uncritical atheism" - That sounds almost oxymoronic. Atheists tend to be rather critical in thinking, skeptical even.

No, you don't need to be religious to deny climate change but it sure is an obvious common theme among religious republicans. If you haven't noticed that then I don't know where the hell you've been.

1 person likes this.