Anymore Cord-Cutters Out There?

Discussion in 'TV' started by hippyman, Aug 14, 2017.

1. hippyman

hippyman Member

So I cut the cord to my satellite a little over a year ago, and since then I've subsidized it with Roku. It is amazing how much I don't even watch tv anymore, and I don't miss it. 99% of the time I'll have it tuned to some new age relaxation channel, or something like that. And the best part is, aside from an occasional one, there are no commercials being force fed to me. One of the most pleasant side effects I've experienced is the lack of news/propaganda. Has anyone else chosen this path as well? I'd love for you to share your experiences.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Nice to hear you get no news....that'll make you a better uninformed voter.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my tv is basically just for background noise

i stream and/or download anything i want to watch...

i also love the no commercials part

1 person likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So you still have a thing on your roof? Why just cut the cord? Can't you just cancel something... or am I taking it too literally again :p

Lets hope he's an avid reader

5. hippyman

hippyman Member

I do get news, only I get more choice on the matter now. When I found tv news was depressing me, that was when I found another option.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

same.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Print journalism is > than broadcast journalism any day, I dont watch cable news but I'm not uninformed because of it.

I actually have never had cable. I have Netflix and Hulu now and have watched way more tv in the last couple of years than I ever did before subscription services. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Back in the days of bunny ears I remember watching the most random stuff because you only had 3 or 4 choices. I remember coming home drunk when I had just turned 21 and had just read LOTR for the first time..lots of firsts....and found the Hobbit cartoon on PBS. What a transcendental night!

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

News. Lol. I remember the folks told me one day news will be important to me. Well I'm 30 and I still don't care. Weather person is still the only person who can hold a job and do it wrong every day.

There's weather apps now.

As for news. It's still very boring to me. Facebook feeds are boring too.

Only sports news matters because it's real life.

9. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I haven't had "real" TV in years. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube and Hip Forums. Plus, I can still get the NBA package and stream my Celtics live even here in LA (which I do believe is a felony). The hell I need cable/satellite for?

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just gimmie NASCAR 24/7 you'd never hear me complaining.

11. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

I havnt eliminated cable from our house on account of my wife. She loves it. I dont watch much tv and if I do its the news or I use my firestick and watch what interests me at the time.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I don't own a TV...

1 person likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't subscribe to cable. I have a nice tv though, and I watch stuff on DVD every night. I just don't need it. Currently I will watch on a give evening: two episodes of Grey's Anatomy, one full length movie. That's it for me and I'm off to bed. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Cut the cord about three years ago - have Netflix and download TONS of docs from YouTube (which Big Brother is making more difficult to watch on Firefox thus promoting use of CHROME - Google is definitely going to strangle all global communication within 10-15 years, and will then hold the whip hand

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I have news on the TV in the background with the sound down most of the time. I just pick up what's going on from the images and scrolling texts and bullet points. I don't want to be lectured at and harassed by having to hear actual people talking. I have all this on while doing other things. (I work from home.)

For entertainment I have Spotify for music and Amazon Prime Video. Sometimes I binge on Amazon's in-house produced series, some of which are pretty damned good. The same with their reasonably good selection of films. I go through phases of watching stuff and then won't goggle for ten days or so. I'm gearing up to watch "The Last Tycoon" on Amazon, as long as it's not too much hard work. I gave up on "American Gods", it was just way too over the top.

16. hippyman

hippyman Member

When I first got my roku I fell in love with all the new-agey channels they provide. I leave NaturevisionTV on in the background, and usually read my news somewhere.

17. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Oh yeah. I don't watch cable TV anymore. I have Netflix and Hulu and I never run out of things to watch. I use my PS4 to watch but I did get my mother a Roku for Christmas so she's a cordcutter now too lol

18. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

Cord cutters here as well. never really watched cable except for the occasional sport and now I can stream that if necessary. Don't miss it. We have a digital antennae. Mostly for local news and local sports. Netflix and hulu do the job.

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

turned in my cable box 2 days ago. i don't really notice a difference so far, but it's still pretty new.

i did go without any tv for a couple years a long long time ago. but a lot have changed since then, so i still consider this pretty experimental. i'm really not worried though; i really didn't watch tv even when i had it, and i have plenty of other options for background noise. my background noise may require slightly more work than just turning on my tv now, but i'm also saving over $100 a month, so i think it's worth the extra minute a day to find something on netflix to have run continuously while i'm not watching.

20. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I've never had "the cord" to begin with.

*knocks cane on ground*