Guitar Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Jude96, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Jude96

Jude96 Members

My fingers hurt, been playing all afternoon and into the night...missing playing live for people a little extra tonight ✌️

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Mine is a Vietnamese acoustic . It's shape reminds me of old French guitars , and
    the sound is small , exact , and sweet .

1 person likes this.
  3. Jude96

Jude96 Members

That’s awesome... I’ll have to check out what that sounds like... meant to reply to this sooner

4. Scratched

Scratched Members

I'm having trouble with my wrist, assuming its tennis elbow.
    Went to my Chiropractor a while back, was having trouble with the inside of the wrist joint. He told me "Hang in there buddy, this is gonna hurt like hell", no lie it did. He deep massaged it aggressively for a long ten seconds.
    But it worked. Said I was starting to develop carpal tunnel...
    Now the outside of my wrist hurts, when I chord. Fretting hand on all of this.
    He rubbed the top of my forearm, near the outside of the elbow, I yelled "goddamn!" He thought that was funny...lol
    So now I'm gonna get a wrap I used to wear @ work back 25 years ago for the same thing. Has a little plastic airbag in it, it did work.
    Getting older sucks. Need opiates...hmm hey doc? :beatnik:

Anybody got any advice? I hope...please...

1 person likes this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

You could try physical therapy if your insurance covers it. That's probably what your primary care guy will tell you anyway. I don't care for PT myself simply because I don't think it works all that well. But I'm probably wrong. The doctor says that it takes awhile and you have to keep at it (this is for my sciatica). Well the trouble is keeping at it. I want a fix not a new workout plan that I don't trust is going to work half as much as it might hinder. I've actually had the exercises further injure my back, so I don't know what to think! Maybe I should be making a sciatica thread or something Idk. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. soulcompromise

I've been taking lessons and this weeks material relates to the Harmonic Minor scale. if you've never heard it before I'll tell you what it is. It's very mid-eastern sounding. Anyway, there are seven iterations of this called modes that I'm supposed to learn, but I haven't memorized all of them yet. So there's harmonic minor, the locrian iteration of it, then ionian, then dorian, phrygian, lydian, and then diminished. Six of those share their name with the 7 major modes. The harmonic minor version raises every G in the mode to a G#, so if you know how to play A Aeolian, it just raises all the G's to G#'s. It's a simple idea but I'm having to practice a whole lot to get each mode down solid. :)

2 people like this.
  7. Scratched

Scratched Members

I went through my exercise info I've collected over the years. Used to be a fitness freak, would like to again but I have gotten lazy. lol.

Did find some stretches, exercises for the troubled area. But no reference to musicians. It's a sports book.

But I suppose they might work. I sense a trip to my RX soon.

My instructor, who is my age, takes a time release Hydro daily to deal with hers. She plays Bass, I would imagine that causes even more troubles.

8. Scratched

Scratched Members

This sounds a bit like my last book I got, "The Guitar Grimoire". No Black Magic, but it's interesting, and complicated.

Sounds like some of what you mentioned was there. I haven't dove it yet, felt I wasn't quite ready. Glad its working for you.

1 person likes this.
  9. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

This is the Harmonic Minor Scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbbd-9Pv9ZU

Nifty huh? Using Sesame Street to explain music theory. I remember pointing that out to one of my music teachers and it became a running joke in class. He would put on the accent and say "I really love to count."

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

Yep! That's the one! :) He really likes to count lol

well, if instead, he began on the second note of that scale he was playing, it would be a different "mode". :)

Edit: The next eight, starting from the second of the original, would be the locrian mode

11. Reverand JC

Exactly the second mode of is the Locrian #6 scale which is almost like a Dorian Mode with a b2 and a b5. It also seems like a good scale to play over an altered dominant type of chord since it has the b7, b9, the #9, and the #11 the only chord tone missing is the Major 3rd.

BTW I was a Jazz and Contemporary Music Major my first stint in college. I'm more of a studious theory geek now.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

I'm not following b2 or b5. Is that flat 2 and flat 5? It must be. I don't read music, so much of the terminology goes over my head. I'm studying the 5th unit of guitar center's Hal Leonard jazz curriculum. It's getting good! :)

13. Reverand JC

Yes since there is no key on a keyboard that lines up with the flat sign in music I just used the lower case b to represent it.

I'm currently working my way through "The Tony Grey Bass Academy" Book and Berklee College of Musics Jazz Composition books on my own.

I'm not trying to be preachy or condescending but learn to read it really opens up your musical world/universe.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Any twelve-tone bended scale works for me . Bends is bluesy , sometimes comic .

15. Reverand JC

Another thing that I've found helpful is not practicing scales in isolation. I have a loop pedal that I put chords into while I practice scales against them to put them into context hearing how the tension and release happen in them in relation to each other.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

I've seen a loop pedal. My buddy had one. I've never really played with one, except for perhaps one time at a guitar store.
    That's a good idea. I think youtube has "Jam Tracks" for some of the modes. I should check.

This might be one. Not sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJfAEDOe_BU

17. TraverGother

TraverGother Members

I really miss my band. However, I still play guitar once a week. My finger hurts after playing 1 to 2 hours. But I want the idea of having a beer while playing acoustic. I will ask my bandmates to have a reunion haha

18. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Just ordered a drop-in faceplate complete with Humbuckers to drop into my Fender Jaguar.

I'm excited...should not sound "tinny" at all meow.

19. Brokenandbent

Brokenandbent Members

I have a Martin i play daily and an Epiphone i play outside of the house whenever im not inside i use it because i can replace it easier. Love my Martin acoustic ​

MidtownMind likes this.
  20. soulcompromise

These days my mom's guitar (I live at my parents') is the only guitar I play. I have a habit of selling my guitars - seriously... it's been like 5 guitars that I've gone through that way. I always sell them when I need some dough, so I don't buy one anymore. It's my mom's, I can't sell it, and it's a Washburn acoustic with a pickup or a mic in it (I honestly don't ever plug it in or know how it works).

Brokenandbent likes this.