Is Nothing Sacred (Priest-Penitent Privilege)?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Here's one article that talks about the current trend: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/16/arts/secrets-confided-to-the-clergy-are-getting-harder-to-keep.html I also heard of this other story of a priest who revealed what was said in confession, and was supported by his superiors! I will post it if I find it, or invite other people to post it, if they want.

I have to say up front, it just seems to me, there are certain things that are still, for lack of a better term, sacred. And plus it was not the way I was raised.

I was told as a child, priests would sooner face torture and death, than reveal what was said to them in confession, and historically apparently even did.

And I can already anticipate the argument some of you will make against me position, what if the person re-offends again, to which I have three replies. First, that is by no means certain. Priest see remorseful people, people who want to change for the better. Secondly, that is not even relevant. Privilege communication is privilege communication. And it is based on the assumption some things are greater than other things. And lastly, consider lawyers. Their communications, for things done in the past (note that especially), is absolutely privileged too. And they typically deal with people who are not remorseful, and very well may do it again. How do they deal with it? I trust I have made my point.

Anyways, that is my humble opinion. That there are somethings in life more important that others. What do the rest of you think or have to say?

:devil: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I know I am probably regret saying this. But you know, I would welcome a critical response too.

Just don't get too nasty :) . And remember it is a centuries' old sacred trust, that is also supported by people much more conservative than me.

Also, the feedback I receive from this will affect how I share it on other message boards.

Again, thank you in advance for keeping it civil :) .

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

nothingness may be the most sacred thing in all of existence. or not, as the case may be.

every mote of dust that tolerates your tread is sacred. every molecule of oxygen, generated by every leaf of every tree is sacred too.

the non-existence of non-sacredness has nothing to do with hierarchy however.

--------

the existence of hierarchy is the result of insufficient consideration, insufficiently universal

--------

i guess to directly address the topic, no reason not to leave the confessional sacred, however tempting it might be in a context of extreme crimes, to violate it.
    but a priest is only another human, having not the means, to grant absolution, however much one might have been taught to believe themselves capable of doing so.