American Police Need Norweigan Training

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by unfocusedanakin, Aug 5, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Our police are crazy here. They are so paranoid and bias they use guns at the first aggravation. An electrician is more likely to be killed on the job in America then a police officer. Yes, due to the nature of the job catching people who break the law sometimes you meet dangerous people. But the truth is most interactions with the public are not dangerous at all.

We encourage the wrong kind of person to be an officer. It's not about helping people to them but being in control. It's a very different psychological outlook on life. I am not saying all police are bad. I have dealt with many nice ones.
    Ones who I believe were looking for the real problems in society and psychologically fit. But, I have also dealt bad ones as well. I'm also a white guy which I think makes it much easier. I don't see a lot of police in America being able to deal with situations like they do in Norway. They are thinking of the gun as a way to solve a problem or deescalate a situation. Its seems to me in Norway it's a last resort which probably is much a last resort because it's not the same gun culture as here. So I do understand that maybe an American cop needs the gun more. But I still think guns are used far too often here.

There is a joke in America that "Norway is not even real" because they have such a small supposed population and they have everything our politicians say is impossible. Even with mean drunks the Norwegians keep calm. If you did what this guy did to American police it could be a few weeks in jail or maybe much longer just for the kick this drunk guy does at the cop in the video. It would be "assaulting a police officer". And many police use it very freely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1PNPcnffbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUeZOZkqrQ

3 people like this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

My dad was a cop. I remember him seeing all these shootings in the news. He said none of them was justified. You don't shoot fleeing suspects. You don't shoot people you think are armed. You don't shoot black people first and ask questions second.

And he was one of the most racist, bigoted sonofabitches I ever knew.

I wonder if the failure in the hiring and or training process is a new thing.

3 people like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there have been waves of this before.
    it comes from the priorities used in the vetting,
    the policies of communities used in selecting who to hire for officers.
    that decision takes place at the political level in city council meetings and mayors offices.

the current wave is in a sense a new thing,
    in sync with the rise of tea nazism.

and represents the real danger that comes from electing at all levels,
    the kind of mentality that trump represents.

yes i know it didn't start with him,
    rather he is a product of it.

4. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

there's a super norwegian tv series NOBEL and another one whose name I forget about the Russians invading over oil