Andrew O Neil- A History Of Heavy Metal

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by autophobe2e, Aug 2, 2017.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Andrew O' Neil is a comedian in the UK, he's a big old metalhead, he's also in a steampunk band.

Anyhoo, he's awesome, I've seen him and his band numerous times. Last year he had a show called A History of Heavy Metal, he performed it with a live death metal band backing him. It did what it says on the tin- took you from the dawn of metal right through to Nu metal (he's not a fan).

It was honestly one of the best stand-up shows I've ever seen, and it's now out in book form. I'm about one chapter in and I felt like I had to come on here to reccomend it, It's really fucking funny.

As someone who doesn't listen to much metal, it's also a pretty handy guide of important bands to check out and what all the different subgenres are about.

anyway, it's a shameless plug, but at least it's for something I have no connection to.

In the interests of making this more of a thread than an accidental advert, do you have any books on metal that you'd reccomend? I'd be particularly interested ina good book on all the Norwegian Black metal nastiness, as it would combine my interest in music history with my interest in true crime.