Black People Don't Ski

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Piaf, Aug 1, 2017.

1. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

OK - it's melanin and it's just one defining characteristic of race. One race may have a higher incidence of sickle cell anemia, for example, or differences in hair texture and physiognomy.

However,most of the time when people say 'race' they actually mean 'culture'

Take blacks - a race in conflict with whites in the US. There are blacks in 55 countries in Africa and through the Caribbean as well as sprinkled around South and East Asia. They don't all share a culture with blacks from the NY projects or the Chicago streets. Caribbean blacks, for example, used to get a good British education which was streets and streets ahead of Pubic School #324,671. Blacks round the world have a wide range of accents. They don't all speak Ebonics. Some black cultures, internationally, are less attractive (the ones were lots of people carry machetes and use them and ones where lots of people break stuff)

Just saying black isn't much of a descriptor - black lawyer? black plumber? black ghetto dawg. It's ironic though that often when a black person pursues the American Dream they are pulled down by the neighbours accusing them of acting white. However, same thing happens in many white, working class cultures. Try telling your neighbour on an English or Scottish council estate that you want to be Prime Minister some day

Culture is always the hero or villain of the piece

2. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I like hanging out at Berlin Zoo (which obviously is not just a zoo)

3. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Irminsul said:

"And with the black people hating on white people for wearing black things, that's just rubbish. I see every black personal wearing jeans and button shirts etc. I don't see them prancing around the streets with just a towel on and war paints. They totally pretend to be white in almost every aspect of their lives except when it's convenient to be black again. ;)

That's very profound and underlines the nonsensicality of so-called 'cultural appropriation' claptrap - the kind that seeks to shut down St. Patrick's Day festivities for all those not born n Ireland, or which seeks to outlaw the performance of Shakespeare's plays because acting could involve dressing up in Roman costume.

People accusing us of cultural appropriation should be forced to wear signs saying "I haven't thought clearly about the 'law of unintended consequences'

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Are you having a dig at me or.... ??

5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow, some pretty angry people on this thread. Uh, I tried to take up snow skiing along time ago and I sucked at it horribly. But at least I tried, huh? Falling down those slopes and holding "yard sales" on the way down, was embarrassing (especially when little kids skiied up to me to hand me my stuff), very painful, and pretty much broke me the fuck off!

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Well if its any consolation, Eric: I'm white as fuck and probably not any better at it than you :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Seems to me like he's acknowledging your point. When black people wear supposedly white peoples'/cultural stuff it is perceived as he's acting normal. When white people wear stuff that's commonly perceived as (coming from) typical black culture they're often regarded as 'whiggers' or some kind of poser :p

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Don't like this thread. And I think we're all big enough to be using the term "African Americans" as it is more PC than "Black People". Sorry to be a wet blanket.

9. Asmodean

Uhm, this thread is about black people in general. Not only american ones.

10. Asmodean

[​IMG]

"The problem with Africa..."

1 person likes this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've never been skiing. Am I black?

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No, but one does have to admire your logic.

13. Asmodean

You're definitely a traitor of white culture!

edit: that you're from South Carolina is no excuse!

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

black people don't post on hipforums.

1 person likes this.
  15. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

are they part of the bungee jump demograph

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

*insert really awful and inappropriate hanging joke*

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I have seen many shows catering to blacks at the lodge of ski resorts. I would find it hard to believe that none of them that showed up for the show didn't try the bunny slope at least once.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

"catering to blacks" and "catering to white suburban teenagers with money to spend on skiing" can often describe the same things.

19. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Yup

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

In High School we took a trip up to Cannon Mountain Ski resort in Franconia Notch State Park and while most of the students skied
    I felt more comfortable snowboarding, so I can at least confirm BLACK PEOPLE SNOWBOARD

Hotwater

1 person likes this.