Causes Of Dreams Question

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by ausguerila, Jul 29, 2017.

1. ausguerila

ausguerila Members

Has anyone got an explanation for the causes of dreams? What would cause certain dreams to repeat over time?

1 person likes this.
  2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Imo, Repeating dreams are associated with premonitions and stress.

I keep watching this show on A&E called #LIVE•PD
    I always seem to have repeating bad dreams of cops chasing me either on foot or by vehicle.

Since I'm a Hungarian Gyppo with crimalisic blood coursing through my veins, it's only a matter of time before PD come knocking on my door.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think it has everything to do with the presence of certain neurotransmitters in your brain juices when you go to sleep. For example, the chemicals that are in your brain for fear. Have you ever watched something scary before bedtime and then woken up from a nightmare? I think there's a causal relationship, but I can't explain why it doesn't happen every time, so maybe "correlation" is more accurate. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I often find i dream about things that i'm either frightened of or really excited by, i think dreams give you a very vivid glimpse into your subconscious mind...that plus they can also serve as a kind of safe training ground for dealing with potentially difficult future life circumstances (kind of like your own in-built virtual reality unit).

5. ausguerila

ausguerila Members

When I stated recurring dreams I was meaning that they randomly repeat over a long period of time. Why would this occur?

The way I see it is culture that gets forced and unforced upon a person causes your mind to evolve. Through that, while sleeping, this evolution then interprets subtle changes to senses which shows vivid imagery/sounds.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

occlusions trying to break out of jail, and unresolved issues, which are almost the some thing.

7. ausguerila

ausguerila Members

Have these dreams repeated throughout life or what else do you mean?

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There is no reason for dreams, parts of your brain are always switched on whilst you are alive, even when subconscious and just pulls memories randomly to keep active...and no one alive today can tell you shit about any 'purpose' to dreams as no one has a clue

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

As far as I have read, we (scientists) aren't sure the exactly function of dreams.

I have seen some educated guesses though--such as dreams are the mind continuing to work out some problems that we have suring waking hours.

10. ausguerila

ausguerila Members

I don't believe that is true. It seems more like an avoidance due to the borderlines of fantasy and reality. Does anyone have any idea what could cause the same specific dreams to occur over long time periods?

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Dreams are a way of connecting with the cosmic subconscious. Recurring dreams signify unresolved conflict and stresses in the psyche, from the past, present and projecting outwards into your potential futures. Repressed sexual anxieties also work themselves out in dreams, sometimes manifesting in symbols and archetypal forms, the can be decoded through application of self-knowledge.

12. ausguerila

ausguerila Members

So how could the exact same dreams occur exactly the same throughout life?

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the conscious mind needs to take vacations for the sake of its own health.
    and sometimes the unconscous needs to tell us things we consiously occlude.

why specific dreams happen is another matter entirely.
    really endless sorts of things can trigger them.

repeating dreams?
    maybe someone is being obtuse in ways they don't realize.
    their subconscious isn't going to give up either.

i have many that take place in a geography that has no counter part in my wakeful everyday life,
    but has a certain consistancy of elements, the same land scapes, bus and infrastructure routs being consistent with themselves, that sort of thing.
    i've had sequential dreams, in which one takes up where the previous left off.
    these are never however literal repititions.

there's a whole lot of interactive back and forth between people and their dreams, and how they look at things.
    and sometimes they even tell you things about how you look at things that you didn't realize that you did.

that dreams happen, i'm sure, is part of how the brain works,
    why specific dreams are experienced, probably has a lot to do with the psychology of the individual.

though i'm sure, as in life, a zillion other things can and do come into it.

if people want one simple one size fits all answer to why everyone has the dreams that they have,
    i rather strongly suspect, there isn't one.

14. ausguerila

ausguerila Members

I interpreted this as you were talking to yourself. Is that what you meant by this?

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i am never speaking to just one person, but to things which can be in any of our lives, often without our realizing it.

sometimes people, because of how they're raised, or what they experience, will get one kind of an idea in their minds, that they can't seem to really envision being any way else.

i've never experienced 'reruns'. only continuations, from places and situations in dreams, that take up where previous ones left off.

so i'm only guessing, but if a dream literally repeats, that would seem to suggest, it is trying to address something, that isn't changing.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And what on earth is the cosmic subconscious?

And archetypal means typical of whatever you are talking about. That is, something that wouldnt need to be decoded

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm not bothering with you.

18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Elias Howe, the man who designed the 1st successful sewing machine, dreamed the answer to his problem about where to put the hole in the needle. He dreamed of cannibals waving their spears at him with a hole near the point of the spear, which of course was the answer he needed.

I've had a few recurring dreams for decades, and I really hate it. The dream is different variations of me being lost, not knowing how to get where I need to go...losing my car and no matter what not being able to find it, or me on foot being lost and searching for some clue as to where I am and/or how to get where I need to be.

From childhood through my teenage years I would dream of a levitating Asian woman in a kimono laughing at me as she would disappear and reappear...it was awful. If I were to dream of her now, I know I would give her a piece of my damn mind...so that is probably why I haven't dreamed of her in years. lol

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Which just means it was something his brain had already worked out for him, just so happened his brain told him whilst he was unconscious

Whilst we are awake we are not aware of everything our brain is doing, every little thing it is calculating. You never hear anyone try to interpret things the brain is doing whilst awake that it doesnt tell its owner its doing, because that person is always unaware its doing it

There is only a subconscious when one is unconscious, why does everyone assume that? Because that is the only time there is a link between what you know as yourself, that part of the brain you talk with and a so called subconscious

In the example you gave, why cannibals?

To use an office analogy, if you are in accounts receivable and you really want to get the attention of the help desk, you could send them an email with the word Cannibals in the subject header, it wouldnt exactly make any sense, but it would get their attention, and likely get that attention first. Girl at the help desk opens her email, the 14th email in the queue has the word Cannibals, 'what the hell?' I'll open that first

....or is it more random, he read a story about cannibals three years earlier, forgot about it, but it just so happens, when he finally clicked on the sewing machine problem, the cannibal memory was in the cluster of neurons next to it, and they got piggy backed on to each other

We all want to believe there is a higher meaning and will be more enthusiastic about the idea there is a deeper meaning to dreams. But at the same time, the thought that our whole life our brain is doing stuff, influencing us in ways and not telling us is highly unpalatable, because then, oh no, we dont control our fate

Somewhere in the order of 100 billion to a trillion calculations per second when walking, if we got to hear everything the brain does, we would go nuts, And yet the brain probably worked out 20 years before it told you that the left knee was going to go before the right knee, because it gradually had to overcompensate with signals to the left knee over that time frame....or it did actually tell you 19 years ago, but by way of a dream of an american left hand drive car full of clowns in an accident in London with a brittish (right hand drive) car full of midgets and the american car came out worse, that was the brains way of communicating with you, that it thought you would understand, but you took it to be about clowns and midgets, rather than left vs right something

Does a subconscious really exist? Or is it more the case that you have one little section of your brain sectioned off for what you know as YOU and the rest of the brain works to fast for us to understand or communicate with properly.

We only dream if we are asleep, or we are only dreaming if we are aware of it, or remember it, why do we assume that? Your brain could be replaying all different crazy scenarios whilst you are awake, just that your not aware of it.

Or a thought thats even more trippy, no human in the entire course of human history has even been aware of it, thus we never research it, thus we will continue fumbling about trying to find an answer to a puzzle where we are only ever aware of half the clues

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

BTW, researchers have found, one of the best ways of fighting off dementia is regular walking on uneven surfaces, pretty much the whole brain gets a workout, blood pumped to it.
    Walk on even/familiar surfaces, not so much