Your Dunkirk?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 autophobe2e

autophobe2e

• PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted July 24 2017 - 05:30 AM

So, I'm off to see the movie Dunkirk in a few hours, really looking forward to it.

Dunkirk is one of those events with an extremely compelling story which is of some importance culturally to people in the UK, but because it only involves the British Expeditionary Force and, crucially, takes place before America enters the war, It has been overlooked by Hollywood etc. I would not be surprised if Nolan's film was the first time many people had ever heard of Dunkirk.

My question is, do you have an equivalent in your country? something of importance to your nation with a fascinating story behind it that you feel has been overlooked and could do with a movie adaptation? I imagine most American events like this have been fairly well covered (though I may well be wrong) but whaddya got?

An Australian friend was telling me about his one the other night, but I've forgotten the name of it (we were drunk as skunks).

A very small Australian force essentially holding off an enormous Japanese army, fighting along this mountainous trail - some of the worst conditions for combat found in the entire war. He told me that many Australians walk this trail as a sort of historical pilgrimage, and that walking the ups and downs of it is the same distance and climb as doing Everest (although not in terms of elevation, obviously)

• Jeplay2y and Jeplayuz like this

Ua2h5.jpg

#2 GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,003 posts
  • LocationBathurst AUSTRALIA

Posted July 24 2017 - 05:35 AM

It's Called The "Kokoda Trail"...... :)

Cheers Glen.

#3 autophobe2e

autophobe2e

• PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted July 24 2017 - 05:37 AM

It's Called The "Kokoda Trail"...... :)

Cheers Glen.

That's the one!

Utterly extraordinary story.

someone get Nolan on the horn.

Edited by autophobe2e, July 24 2017 - 05:41 AM.

Ua2h5.jpg

#4 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 12,717 posts

Posted July 24 2017 - 05:44 AM

Aleutian islands campaign is the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#5 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,641 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 24 2017 - 08:46 AM

vimy ridge

#6 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,771 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted July 24 2017 - 09:05 AM

There's probably a story like that in our 80 year war with the spanish empire (which led to the glorious dutch republic)

#7 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 40,017 posts

Posted July 24 2017 - 07:10 PM

I would not be surprised if Nolan's film was the first time many people had ever heard of Dunkirk.

i still don't know what the hell a dunkirk is.  i've heard the word a few hundred times in the last 3 days or so in reference to some movie, but nobody ever mentions what the movie is actually about and it has never actually been advertised or anything that would give me any idea.

until i came across this thread just now, i figured it must be a superhero movie because those are the only ones that get this much hype.

a part of me wants to google it now, but the bigger part of me is tired and lazy.

#8 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 20,018 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted July 24 2017 - 07:11 PM

Apparently the American citizens are not happy with this movie as it doesn't have any lead female actors or people of color. :D

I won't see this and am uninterested simply because of the actors.

The producer said they wanted no name actors and new faces like Band of Brothers series yet they go and pick a superstar from some boy band. How disgraceful.

Edited by Irminsul, July 24 2017 - 07:13 PM.

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#9 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,771 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted July 24 2017 - 08:53 PM

i still don't know what the hell a dunkirk is.

It's how the english call Duinkerken. It means Dunechurch.

#10 Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla

Go Ape

• PipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted July 25 2017 - 01:17 AM

My question is, do you have an equivalent in your country? something of importance to your nation with a fascinating story behind it that you feel has been overlooked and could do with a movie adaptation? I imagine most American events like this have been fairly well covered (though I may well be wrong) but whaddya got?

Fromelles

Australians always crap on about Gallipoli when Anzac/Rememberance Day comes around

I think most Australians have no clue about what happened with our forces in Fromelles, or pretty much anything else about WWI.

There is a Kokoda film by the way (2006) full of ex "Neighbours" stars

Click to Visit Netshops!