Dunkirk ( The Film )

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mallyboppa, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I saw the movie with friends. Normally, I wouldn't see this type of film. War movies are too intense to be entertaining. Dunkirk was no exception.

Brutally honest...too tense for me to ever exhale and have a good time. Guess that's what these kind of movies go for. So that's good I guess.

Couldn't tell one character from another though. So there's that...

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I liked the film but the Spitfire running out of fuel and still gliding and fighting all that time really detracted from it.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

The Spitfire Didnt keep going out of fuel it was the way the film kept jumping about from one scene to another makes it seem that way !
    yeah that bit seems to get everyone confused

4. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Bit like some parts of LOTR to me !

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Polish Air Force fighters weren't mobilised until the battle of Britain, so they wouldn't have flown over Dunkirk.

Then again, I know how much you like Mel Gibson being Shctotssh, so historical accuracy may not be your thing :D

One of the spitfires shown in the film is a Mark 5, which also weren't flying at the time.

The fuel concerns are fairly realistic and realistically presented- Mark 1's only had a flight time of 2 and a half hours- they were manufactured on the assumption that refuelling stations would be operational/available in France.

Mark 1's were capable of gliding long distances without engines- it's just that doing so required an absurd level of skill. Enter the glide too fast and the rotor blades spin out of control, too slow and you just splat straight into the ground. The turn Hardy makes in the film is incredibly unlikely (and would rely on the Stuka happening to dive immediately into his line of fire outwith noticing him, even though he would have to be moving around 300mph slower and much closer to the ground), but it's not entirely impossible.

One recorded instance during WW2 involved a spitfire that glided around 15 miles after suffering damage to the engine, so the amount of time he spends in the air with no engine isn't ridiculous.

Tbh though, the split/truncated timeline of the final scenes makes it impossible to tell how long he was in the air anyway. We essentially see the same scene from 3 perspectives, making it potentially 3 times as long as it was meant to be.

Anyhoo, I'd take a good score over the gurning sentimentality of Saving Private Ryan any day. Earn this! *Slowly fades into fluttering flag*

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Planes that weren't even flying OMG where were the historians on this one!

I like Gibson movies because they're good. That's all. I think in other thread I said I know they aren't accurate but they still good movies hehe.

7. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

He's certainly had some belters :)

8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter