Dunkirk ( The Film )

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mallyboppa, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

2. Rots in hell

Seen it tonight Very good !

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Christopher Nolan, they are the only two words I need

4. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Seeing it tonight- Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, Cilian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh and Christopher Nolan?

Yes.

Also, for us in the UK, Dunkirk is an incredibly important event, but I imagine it isn't very well known worldwide, so It's cool to get it some exposure. It's a pretty compelling story, regardless of your nationality.

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Maybe I'll get to see this eventually when the DVD comes out as my son in law is big on war films. Personally, I've really seen enough of them. I recall the older version of this starring John Mills. No doubt this will be more spectacular, but I'm really not that interested. Pretty much satiated with WWII.

1 person likes this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The Heroic rescue - not to forget the self-less rear guard action that allowed time for such should always be remembered - lest we forget those whose sacrifice allowed the free speech we take for granted these days
    Not seen the film yet - though from "Dads" recollection it was much more frightening, bloody and soul wrenching than can be depicted on film - I guess only those there at the time would know - and so, an observation from a veteran:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc4wBfh3lwk

7. Rots in hell

Got something in my Eye !

1 person likes this.
  8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What A Beautiful Old Man.......His Flesh May Be Weak.......But His Mind Is As Sharp As A Razor Blade... :)

Cheers Glen.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Terrible movie that relies on music to create a euphoric scene that good movies like Saving private ryan did not need.

Also found the dog fights innacurate. Too many straight line movements and no British airforce unit would have taken on a bombing fleet from the rear. A total no no.

2/10

bloke didnt even wipe his ass after shitting on beach, after he kept the dropped flyers for this specific purpose.

Pun??? What a "dud"

10. WOLF ANGEL

Well given the choice of an analytical perception of a latter day viewer - against someone who was actually there (see previous post) hmm, think I'll go for first hand experience.
    Tactically, when it comes to strategic advantage an attack from the most vulnerable position - especially when one's country's back is against the wall - nothing was out out bounds - WW2 History (amongst more recent conflicts) prove that
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and freedom of speech however, so I guess in such, it is the message within and not necessarily the visual depiction to be criticised that proves its' worth

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just out of curiosity, what was the message?

Run today, live tomorrow?

Pah! I'll take William Wallace' side any day.

12. WOLF ANGEL

The message being that camaraderie in adversity can see a victory in defeat - save the many to fight again another day (perhaps you need to read up on what occurred at Thermopylae.rather than Wallace, his idealism though creditable still awaits achievement

13. ahsorandy

ahsorandy Members

Dunkirk (The Movie) was not very good IMHO. Not enough of a plot that you could actually follow. There was too much jumping to different scenes which were not really connected to one another. As my son said, he left the theater thinking he had just watched a couple of hours of the History channel.

For such an important, and sad event of the 2nd world war, this movie just doesn't cut it.

Sorry, JMHO.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nahh the only movie I need to see is Private Ryan. They got that right. And Band of Brothers, the first series. With all the fiction, they're still miles over this.

It was just off from the beginning. English line the beach in formation easy to be bombed. The one portion of the beach that would be most obvious attack point, the wharf or dock, the main character uses as a hideout. Noticed that str8 away. Dumb hiding spot.

And the dogfights just way off. A handful of planes just idolly cruising around and then lol, typical movie heroics the one plane that is no longer running, engine shuts off manages to cruise around for a further 20mins with no fuel or engine and manages to take down a Stuka, outside of formation, flying on its own. :rofl:

TinTin comics were more believable.

Bombers were accompanied by a squadron of fighters yet this movie just sends them out on their own and then has the Spitfires attacking them from the rear which is highly innacurate. The Schmidt's which are absent in the movie, would have intercepted a depleted 3 spitfire squadron and fanned out while the rear turrets make mince meat of anyone attacking the rear.

All fortress formations were attacked from the front which was always the most vulnerable area of any bombing unit.

Armchair squadron fighter pilot here :patriot:

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^......I Thought At This Time You Would Be On A Plane Bound For Australia.......Were We So Lucky

That You Missed Your Flight....???... :D ....God I Hope So........[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I watched in Melbourne. =P

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Damn......Where Is "Border Security" When You Really Need Them..... :wall:

Cheers Glen.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Honestly, if you aren't Asian they don't even look. I feel bad for them. A whole line of Asians to go through customs we just walk in. But we only had carry on luggage I suppose.

Seems rude still. I mean they are clearly targetting them. :unsure:

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Who Cares......As Long As It Keeps Australia Safe..... :)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I also would have liked to have seen the Polskie Siły Powietrzne. That would have made this movie better. That is the Polish airforce that flew for the RAF when the British pilots decided going up in the air was a bit suicidal. The Polskie Siły Powietrzne said no, we can fight them, it is your formation tactics that are suicidal.

I do not think Britain would be Britain if it were not for those Polish fighters in the battles of Britain and France.

If they are just going to make up scenes where airplanes can fly with no fuel for 20mins, then they ought make the pilot Polish. :)