New Laws For Usa Travel

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by stormountainman, Jul 21, 2017.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Anyone thinking about travel in the USA needs to be aware of new laws that the Trump administration wants to enact. Jeff Sessions the AG wants to bring asset forfeiture back so any cop can stop any traveler and take anything the traveler owns or has with them in their car. In the past, cops used to stop travelers and take their cash, their car, and so on. If you have a nice guitar or 35 mm camera, they can take it. This was very common in the 1990s in states like Louisiana and Texas. Some departments got rich off this practice. Under asset forfeiture, cops can take your stuff at the time they stop you, before you go to trial, and even if you don't go to trial. You may not even be found guilty of anything and no drugs are found in your car, but they will rob you. When the cops take your property, you might spend thousands of dollars and several years trying to get it back. Remember, they want your stuff and they don't want to give it back. The entire legal reasoning behind this is that Jeff Sessions thinks Hippies are bad and cops are never wrong. Please report any abusive cops to civil rights agencies, so that other people are not harmed unfairly.

2. quark

quark Parts Unknown

What about abusive drug dealers. Who should we report them to?

3. stormountainman

My post is not about the drug problem in America. My post is about innocent people traveling on America's roads. During the 1990 years cops used to stop anyone at whim and rob them. Today there are abusive Republicans who want to bring back that criminal and unfair practice. Yesterday and here in America, there was a news report with video of three Baltimore cops planting drugs so they could arrest an innocent man. And that was one day after other cops killed that innocent woman in Minnesota.

4. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Yes, this is the fault of the Republican party. Silly me.

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

as you tend to be overly melodramatic about such things, could you provide us with links to articles/information or the actual laws/proposals?

most other folks when reporting such stuff provide the links so we can all read the actual information.

6. stormountainman

It is on several news outlets. Just google Civil Asset Forfeiture and you'll get a bunch. Don't take my word for a discription. Just read what Sessions/Pence/Trump want.

7. stormountainman

It is what the Republican administration has said they want: REVIVE CIVIL ASSET FORFEITURE

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

your the one bringing it to the table, it's on you to provide substantiating information, everyone else is able to do it, why can't you?

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It's true:

2 people like this.
  10. stormountainman

Thank you MeAgain, it's also on Google News and Democracynow. It is also on several other dozen news outlets. A fella could even search Sessions and the articles would pop up on his little old laptop screen.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But you make out like this will happen the moment I hop off a plane and take my hired car to the hotel, that I could be pulled over and my possessions confiscated when that's really not what the article says at all and really doesn't have much to do with travellers in the paragraph posted.

Scare tactics.

Even the thread title makes out likes there some new law specifically for travelers, so I find this very misleading because it reads that I have to be suspected of a crime for it to happen. So if you aren't doing crimes you got nothing to worry about then. :) business as usual.

1 person likes this.
  12. MeAgain

1 person likes this.
  13. stormountainman

Yes your property could be confiscated the second you step off the plane. You might never reach the hotel. You have no idea how abusive American cops could be.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ok no worries thank you for the tips I will never come to your country thank you

15. MeAgain

Actually tourism is down since Trump took office. We're expecting a $1.3 billion loss this year.
    We appear to be the only major country with this problem.

1 person likes this.
  16. stormountainman

In places like Fort Collins, Colorado, the cops will come after Hippy looking people on the excuse they might be Rainbow people. And they come after them on the pretext of homelessness. The cops there will issue tickets for camping within the city limits. They confiscate property even if no drugs are involved, and dump them in the landfill, or at the homeless shelter if the traveler is lucky. When you leave Colorado the next-door states like Utah and Kansas will stop you and search your car, because you had been in Colorado where weed is legal. In Texas, the cops do road side body cavity searches. A few years ago two women were forced to bend over on the car while a Texas cop searched their body cavities on the shoulder of the road. They filed complaints and were told what the cops did was legal! Good luck to anyone who would like to take a drive in the U S of A where freedom is so important to some folks.

1 person likes this.
  17. MeAgain

Yeah, old story. I used to get pulled over a lot back in the early seventies because of my hair.

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

that is pretty fucked up, why in the hell are we moving backwards??????????????????????????????????????

ran out of "likes" so thanks to STM and meagain...

1 person likes this.
  19. MeAgain

Although I never had anything confiscated.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Civil asset forfeiture is a really bad, corrupt practice

But this is just ridiculous lol. You make it sound like international travelers are being accosted as soon as they step foot on American soil and all their belongings taken. This has literally never happened.

1 person likes this.