Would You Go On The Show Ink Master As A Human Canvas?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by NoxiousGas, Jul 20, 2017.

1. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Ink Master is a tattoo artist competition show in which folks volunteer to be "canvas's".
    the format for each episode is a small prelim thing first and then the winner of that gets to assign the human canvas' to the other contestants with the intent of giving other artist hard and difficult tattoos to complete.
    the upside for the canvas is they get a free tattoo, often from top-notch artist, some of which would cost hundreds or even thousands $$$ in the shop.
    The downside is they also run a good chance of getting a fucked up tattoo considering the point of assigning them is to mess up the other tattoo artists with stuff they are not good at.

So would you roll the dice for a free tattoo and risk having a life-long crap tattoo?

Don't think I would be willing to roll the dice on something as permanent as a tattoo.

1 person likes this.
  2. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

No. I change my mind so often anyway, doing this wouldn't be sensible.

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Nope. No way. I would barely roll the dice for a good tattoo.

4. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Nope I have rolled the dice on good(ish) tattoos, I'm not just getting something picked at random, even if the artist is world-class.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

6. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

I'm watching this as we speak... recorded it Tuesday and just getting to it now... not sure how I feel about artists coming in partway through the competition though... I might if I knew what the challenge was beforehand so I wouldn't be stuck with something I don't want

7. autophobe2e

Actually, I'm not entirely familiar with the rules of the show, are you aware of the style/theme beforehand? if so, and I dig it, this sounds like a much sweeter proposition.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

the tattoos are not random, the human canvas tells them what they want, the contestants just have to do it in a certain style or the focus is on a certain aspect of tattooing, but the canvas always has the choice of what goes on their body.
    For example, if an artist is a pro at black and gray tattoos, good chance they will be assigned a canvas that wants a full color tattoo.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yes, and they pair the human canvas with the episode that most matches what type of tattoo they desire.
    if you want American traditional, they aren't going too put you on the episode focusing on new school.

10. autophobe2e

Oh, in that case, maybe?

I don't think any "world-class" artists would really struggle with taking on a piece in a new style. They may have made their name with certain styles and have a preference, but they wouldn't have got to where they are without a degree of adaptability. Maybe they ham it up with the "oh, neo-traditional? I'm so out of my depth" a bit for the show?

Maybe someone so successful as to be almost out of the game, able to work only by appointment on pieces they want to, with 3 year waiting lists and £1000 p/h sessions, but someone who works day-to-day in a shop I think would be able to pull off stuff in most styles if they have built a reputation for themselves.

Obviously it's not ideal. I guess it depends who's in the artist roster.

My right forearm is terribly bare...

Sounds kinda interesting. Might have to check this show out :)

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

well they are always looking for new guinea pigs...errr I mean canvass'.
    but you would have to come to Los Angeles.

12. autophobe2e

Oh, I'm sure we'll nick the format and set it in London soon enough. We always do.

One of my favourite TV moments ever was from one of those tattoo reality shows. something along the lines of:

"I want Da Vinci's Vitruvian man, I think it's a perfect expression of the beauty of the male form."

"And you want a Fleur De Lis here?"

"yeah just to hide his package. I don't want some dude's junk on me."

1 person likes this.
  13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I guess so...I actually submitted to get on.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Its in NYC not LA.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

No not a chance I would never allow a tattoo to grace this perfect skin

Hotwater

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nope, the contenstants often have to rush their designs and although they have input, it's really up to the artists interpretations.

So getting a free tattoo, like, I know some people would like fuck it it's a free tattoo but I'm not like that I'm not going to get a random thing tattooed on me just because it's free, some unproven artists tattoo. Lol. To hell with that.

So yeah, you're going to get what you didn't really ask for by someone with little qualification working under duress of a time limit they can barely achieve.

No.

I used to watch the show but I don't anymore I think it's stupid you got Oliver Peckerdick chewing on his little tooth pick, that other main host guy thinks he's the most beautiful guy living today enough goth sissy and then that other clown with shit tattoos on his head thinks he's got the justifications to put down others art. Like look at your face bro and your dumb head and Fucken spastic tattoo arm sleeves. Lol. 3 Fucken losers judging other losers.

Mystical Mike was the shit though.

"Line work this, line work that, shading shading, line work greyscale" well if you're awesome why does your dumb Buddha head on your head look so shit? And then seriously I seen him blast an artist for tattooing someone's head. Dude. You have a tattoo on your own head and it's Fucken pez.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I agree with Irmi: the fact there's a deadline for the tattoo artist is already enough to be wary and say no.

Really? Would never have guessed you would do such a thing!

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yup, your right, don't know why I thought LA.

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

You mean Dave Navarro, guitarist for Janes Addiction, thought you were into the goth look. While not a tattoo artist himself, he does know his shit when it comes too tattooing.
    the other guy, Chris Nunez, head tattoo??? He doesn't have any head tat's, you must be thinking of someone else.
    I like Oliver Peck and he is a top tattoo artist in the U.S.

Mystical Mike??? I guess that was a typo, didn't you mean he was shit...LOL
    that guy was a psycho loser from the start and his work sucks balls...and not in a good way;
    http://www.spike.com/photos/ik1g8w/ink-master-artist-portfolio-mystical-mike-paterek

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But he was so shit he was good I was so upset he only lasted 2 episodes lol.

I like the goth look on girls. Always looks a bit weird on guys. :D