Trump Says Time To 'let Obamacare Fail'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kaoking1007, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No its not lol. If one does not wish to use planes due to environmental concerns that's their prerogative but I've literally never heard of anyone not traveling because a liberal told them not to travel.

You're getting a bit silly with your hatred of liberals

1 person likes this.
  2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

What about denying global warming so we can prop up the coal industry? Which really does not employ a a large number of people at all. But those they do employ often have whole economies depending on it so it's easy for the story to be spun in a way that says "massive ammounts of jobs are lost". These communities are almost entirely Republican.

To say this is a political conspiracy is comical. There is an overwhelming agreement that global warming is occurring. Much of this data does not even come from the USA so should be logically outside our politcal spectrum of influence. But I suppose that to is not credible because everyone is against the Republican American and their dear leader. Both Europe and other Americans right? So we all make this thing about the planet hearing up so we can undermine America. When we limit the coal and other industries America will be weak and then the Muslims and gay weddings take over. This seems to be the opinion of people like you. Correct me if wrong.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I bet we'd find a lot of common ground on a variety of issues. Our methodology of solving the problems may differ to certain degrees. I'm open to the idea of vouchers so families have the option to go to better schools located outside their assigned districts. TBH I haven't studied much on Betsy Devos, but I'll look into her and her policies a bit more later.

You should've met my college biology professor. He was super self conscious about how far he drove to work. And how much carbon emissions we burned when we flew to Ecuador for a study abroad summer course. After that year, he quit academia and became a self sustaining farmer. Insisting he would seldom travel ever again.

Then you have Bill Nye and Pope Francis who fly around the world lecturing about reducing carbon emissions. Not to mention Leonardo DiCaprio upgrading he yacht while he guilt trips the rest of us about SUV usage.

I don't hate liberals, I am a fellow traveler on some issues with many of them. In recent years they've gotten a bit crazier though.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Apparently they're not the only ones :D

Do you really think this is the primary reason they still haven't recovered there? Or are you playing devils advocate or something?

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

But, by different people, not the ones in power at the moment.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Our society is built upon energy costing something and a few people making lots of money from it. If people can use the sun or the wind how do you make money from that? Sure not everyone will have a wind turbine in their back yard even if things change but it's still a threat to fossil fuels. There is a conspiracy theory that says the reason Edison was funded over Tesla was that Tesla's plans for energy were harder to profit from.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Magnet Schools don't issue vouchers, they are public schools with specialized curriculum, such as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), which is probably what Meliai is talking about.

I was slightly involved in helping to setting up STEM standards in PA many years ago as we were located near the state capitol and our former Superintendent was then in the PA department of ed. .

8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Interesting. I could see that.

But when the last pool of oil is sucked out of the ground, the person who has the next energy source is going to become very rich. We forget. The 19th Century was powered by whale oil and coal. People actually went out of their way to avoid petroleum. But when the whale populations were too small to sustain our need for whale oil, we went to coal. Then we discovered we could get more energy from oil than from coal.

Energy consumption in this country has always fluctuated. We consume one resource and move on to the next. China's fought their way to the table and is now consuming everything it can get its hands on; the US continues to put its head in the sand in regards to this. How long can we go on like this? We have a standard of living that is incredibly dependent on oil. When we can no longer live that life because the oil just isn't there, who benefits?

The writing's already on the wall. The American Dream has changed. Our suburbs are becoming ghettos and ghost towns because no one wants to commute 20 miles back and forth to work anymore. It's too expensive. Dense inner-city living in urban cores and a reliance on public transportation is becoming en vogue again. Big oil's days are numbered. I'm guessing those with their heads in the sand are simply hoping they are long since dead when fossil fuels are no more. I don't know. I don't get it.

9. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

This is exactly the argument I disagree with most. Which is why trying to attach the bill for pollution to a single race is useless. Same as the bill for slavery, which was likely created by the oldest and first race of humanity (if we are to buy Dr. Leakey's theories).

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

pollution isn't the only human activity that impact global warming.
    deforestation has huge impact on both the uptake of CO2 and the overall "cooling" effect plants have on the local climate.
    pollution of the oceans impacts micro-algae, another great CO2 utilizer.
    and lets not forget about the billions of acres of land/grassland that have been transformed into cement and asphalt.
    Grassland utilizes CO2 and adds to the cooling effect, cement and asphalt just trap and retain heat.

and of course bovine belches release tons of methane

1 person likes this.