Buy Nothing Day

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Joshua Tree, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Do you get a kick out of buying things?

The Western economic model is obviously that of consumerism. You can always buy more stuff, there's no end to it. Aside from essentials, do you enjoy buying things? I do, but generally limit myself as much as I can. There is a part of the brain which responds to reward, similar to a hit from cocaine or whatever drug. So you can get a mental buzz from buying things, but it doesn't last and then you've got to buy something else to get another hit. The shiny thing you bought soon turns into a piece of crap that you throw away, and then it's on to the next thing. It's obviously not environmentally sustainable with the limited resources on Earth. It also seems to me to be an unsatisfactory way to live your life - you're never happy because you're always after the next fix. For all the belief that The West is The Best, there are surely better philosophies to live by.

https://youtu.be/fQ4f_lgdYz8

2 people like this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yeah I get a kick out of buying stuff on Amazon. I'm always window shopping there too. When my packages arrive it feels like my birthday. I'm a good little consumer. I like stuff. I need stuff. I'm just a machine in the system.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Buy nothing day.... Sounds like most days around here. I don't even leave my property.

4. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I go through manic phases where i spend too much money. Now i don't have a job, i'm doing ok and hardly buying anything.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Tbh, I live pretty hand to mouth at the moment, the only thing I ever splash out on that isn't related to living or going out is books or a nice T-shirt. I usually buy used, so at least I'm not destroying the planet too quickly...

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'm extremely cheap.

The only things I enjoy buying are tools that I couldn't afford when I was young. And I get those at flea markets.
    Then I seldom use them.
    Like a Rapidograph set, [​IMG]
    and Leroy lettering guide [​IMG]

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like buying things. :)

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I have a weird relationship with material goods. I don't buy something unless I really, really want it. On the rare occasions when I shop frivolously, I feel pretty guilty about it.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I prefer to buy experiences, or material items that can become the means to an experience.

Now that I have a house I do find myself wanting to buy things, but I can't bring myself to buy the bigger items. I could use a new couch, the one I have looks nice but the springs are broken in one section so it isn't comfortable. But couches are expensive, for the cost of a new couch I could take a vacation. So I'll probably just spend it on a vacation

I am going to buy a new car next year because I want/need a dependable car under warranty. But that goes back to the experience element, right now I dont really trust my car to take long road trips but with a new car under warranty I can go anywhere without worrying about it breaking down on me

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So Buy Nothing Day isnt an actual thing

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

every day i'm not almost out of groceries or have to do laundry is a buy nothing day for me,
    other then maybe once or twice a year.
    i like having things i can use to be creative with and make things,
    those are really like the only kinds of things i want,
    other then what i make with them,
    or the kinds of things i would like to.

i also don't like to buy things or send money over the internet.
    which is why i don't do more to support other artists
    and political causes i support by signing petitions.

i believe there are some people who have tried to make it an actual thing,
    i don't know if there's any one particular day they've agreed to designate though.

you know if it were, some idiot would be selling buy nothing day t-shirts,
    and flags and coffee cups, and who knows what all else.

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

My 'Buy Nothing Day' coincides with my 'I Have No Money Day'.

3 people like this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have bipolar so spending money just comes with the territory.

When I'm low I gotta buy something that cheers me up, no matter how silly, small or cheap, but sittin' there doin' nothin' ain't gone pass the blues.

I used to know a man who was happy all the time if you needed some help he'd give you his last dime but I'm a child of the times and that don't work for me because when I walk into a store I want everything I see. Some them old folks said if you want to get ahead gotta earn some more money better bake some more bread but I don't know if that's right I don't know if I agree I only know that the more money I got, the more I need.

I wonder how I'd feel if I gave all my pay to poor instead of standing on the street all day, well I think about it some but not very much you see I just ain't got the time I'm always spending my bucks. I walk through this world of loneliness and greed and I'll never make enough money to give me all I need and if it came by luck, came by piece of mind you can bet a million bucks it was a poor mans dime... another day, another dollar. Another day more money is all that matters every day hear me holla.. I need some cash in my pocket, makes me feel better.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

no, but i do like having things.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not anymore. Sunday used to be Buy Nothing Day.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i like buying things that i already have something creative in mind to do with.
    i usually try to find something i already have to use instead if it meets spec though.
    i like having things that i use.
    i don't like having things i don't, unless its from someone i like what they do that i more or less know.

buying, well if i have enough ahead and it don't cost too much, but i have to be really careful about that.
    i mean i do like sorting through catalogue date to match my top spec for a project.
    but then i more often just end up daydreaming then actually spending.

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Unless I stop using electricity and water for a day it wouldn't be possible to say 'I bought nothing today'. Even then there's the rent. It's like a continuous drip drip of money going out.

I don't buy a lot of non-essentials though. Books, odd bit of music, clothes now and then. I already have too much stuff I never use or take out of the cupboard - need to have a big clear out one day soon. Anything I see as any good, I'll donate to charity.

I dislike shopping at the supermarket. I find it a little bit depressing when I see the state of some other customers.I avoid manned (or womanned?) checkouts, as I don't like the phoney 'hows your day?' interactions the staff have been trained to act out. I do go though maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Otherwise almost all my shopping is done online.

18. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

People like things. I don't think that the problem.

Can we still have stuff without money?

If we can figure that out?! OMG YAASSSSS!!!

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm a bluff. I hate money. There's too much of everything. But what can I do. I was born into this. Can't fight it. So I just be go along with it.

But yeah. I do like stuff. Especially music tech.

20. sickgirl

sickgirl Members

Hi Joshua Tree! I visited Joshua Tree, California before and really loved it! I definitely get a rush from shopping and buying things. I can be very impulsive at times and sometimes "act out.." I really love Amazon and EBay and also good old fashioned store shopping (because I can have what I want immediately...) Yes, shopping does give me a high just like drugs does, but unfortunately, it goes away and another "fix" is needed. Does it ever end?? My boyfriend/Master helps me with my careless spending. He keeps me in check and asks if I "really need" the object. I love shopping online on the sly. I have a favorite clothing designer who almost always features the edgy clothing that I love on her website. I can't help myself, and have a fab wardrobe! Shopping can be an addiction just like gambling, drugs/drinking, sex, food, etc. For some of us, if it's not regulated, it could become a real problem....