George A. Romero, 'night Of The Living Dead' Creator Dead

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by hotwater, Jul 16, 2017.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

George A Romero dead at 77, may he RIP (literally)

Legendary filmmaker George A. Romero, father of the modern movie zombie and creator of the groundbreaking “Night of the Living Dead” franchise, has died at 77, his family said.

Romero died Sunday in his sleep following a “brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer” according to a statement to The Times provided by his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952’s “The Quiet Man,” with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said.

Romero jump-started the zombie genre as the co-writer (with John A. Russo) and director of the 1968 movie “Night of the Living Dead,” which went to show future generations of filmmakers such as Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter that generating big scares didn’t require big budgets. “Living Dead” spawned an entire school of zombie knockoffs, and Romero’s sequels included 1978’s “Dawn of the Dead,” 1985’s “Day of the Dead,” 2005’s “Land of the Dead,” 2007’s “Diary of the Dead” and 2009’s “George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

.” http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/george-a-romero-night-of-the-living-dead-creator-dies-at-77/ar-BBExJNQ

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

remember first seeing that in the early '70's, scared the fuckin' crap outa me.

3. hotwater

I first saw Night of the Living Dead in the theatre back in the early 1990s during a midnight showing.

Perhaps it was just the right combination of elements, the perfect audience, and the right girl, but it was one of the most terrifying and yet one of the enjoyable movie experiences I ever had.

He will be missed - RIP

4. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

In the words of Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool: "Motherfucker!"

Another one gone, looks like they came to get him too. As if this year hasn't been shitty enough as it is, on top of that we now lost the only guy who could do a decent zombie flick.

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I saw Night of the Living Dead in the recreation room of a building site in Cairo, Egypt, age 12. It was the first horror film I ever saw. Scared the crap out of me.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Diary of the Dead was really bad, I dont know what happened there

I got into other Zombie movies well before seeing the Romero ones, there were many better zombie movies made. I always just put it down to film noir nuthuggers celebrating him because he was the first

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I vaguely recall seeing this movie at some point. I was never really into the whole zombie thing.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I never got into the whole the world is ended obsession. You see it a lot with The Walking Dead now. People are obsessed with whats actuly a pretty sad story. But to them it's a fun game. Same thing with Romero he makes like 7 movies on that topic. I saw a few and they were more in depth than the average horror film. But mostly I just thought wow what an awful reality.

9. hotwater

As much as I enjoyed Night of the Living Dead I think I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead even more.
    Monroeville Mall where they filmed the movie in Pennsylvania is definitely on my bucket list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5bmK_r0hMU

Hotwater

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Friend of "Chilly Billy" Cardille, who was much more famous at the time. (1968)
    [​IMG]

Here he is in Night of the Living Dead.

[​IMG]

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here's an interesting video about the making of Night of the Living Dead with Bill Cardille and George Kosana, who was the sheriff and one of the original ten investors in the movie.

http://youtu.be/n32ulZrREiE​
    They used live rounds in a few shots!​
    http://youtu.be/4Ih4jWuBvcU​

1 person likes this.