We Care All Alone.

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by Gangster Guru, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Each person is born into a world where nothing besides there personal experience is real, considered from the viewpoint of their essential experiential isolation and alienation.

Only our own consciousness holds true for a valid definition and picture of reality, as all other minds are unknowable, mechanistic and falsifiable. They appear petrified, as if turned to stone.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Everything is appearance to mind. Mind,being immaterial, isn't real. Therefore nothing is real.

Only unreality is real.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Death is not real, because it consists of no parts.

Why be scared of something that is not real?

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:unsure:

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Lol

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

:unsure: Is that real?

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Someone got trapped in his own mindfart... :eek:

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Why so hostile. I'm seriously considering all this. My mindfart is better than your mindfart.

What do you believe?

Why not start a thread? You never do.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not hostile nor implying you shouldn't have made this thread.

Just because we get all the info on our surroundings via our mind doesn't mean it only exists in our mind and is therefor not real. Having such a thought is great and intriguing (for real :)), committing to it would be a setup for failure or in other words trapping yourself in your own mindfart.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

This needs some explanation. Is a thing only real if it's a composite of some kind? And how do you or I know if death 'has parts'? Maybe it does.

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

My death would be a fact for the continuing World, but my belief is that it heralds the end of all experience for me. No floating around in the cosmic soup for eternity, (How boring) and certainly no heaven.

Prior to birth, I didn't exist for eternity, then I have a brief flash of consciousness, (this life), then I die and have no more experience of any kind, for eternity. Existence is a brief punctuation between two eternities of emptiness and no conscious experience of any kind...

In order to exist, objects must be composites of some kind of matter, otherwise they cannot exist,by definition.

Mind is not matter, which is impossible. Therefore mind does not exist meaning nothing is real.

12. BlackBillBlake

You seem confused and maybe a little bit depressed. One day it's Christianity, then advice on Buddhist meditation, next this kind of nihilistic materialism.

If mind isn't real, none of what you appear to say is real, as it comes out of your mind which you say is unreal. Nor is my reply real if my mind is also unreal. So if you really do believe that, maybe better to say nothing at all, because actually there's nobody saying anything anyway, and nobody reading or replying to it.

Maybe you confuse the map (mind) with the territory (reality).

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Maybe it would help to understand me if I told you I suffer from a form of derealized depersonalization at times. If I can convince myself that nothing is real then nothing can harm me.

I am really only asserting a character in the foregoing. It's only a part of me.

14. BlackBillBlake

Probably avoidance of harm isn't a good starting point in seeking to determine our reality of lack of it. To tell yourself things aren't real because then you can't be harmed won't actually prevent you getting harmed (of course, I hope you don't get harmed!).

'Even in the streets of illusion the pain and suffering are real' - a line there from an old Danny O'Keefe song. Stuck in my head for all these years for some reason. Maybe because he's onto something there.

15. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A flower does not know how far its scent reaches, nor does a skunk.... :D

1 person likes this.
  16. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Of course my central proposition in the op is preposterous. I thought it might be fun to try and defend the impossible. I really meant things as they "appear" to the individual, not as they actually "are". Although appearance is everything at times. Take away the vanity of Man and what are we left with?

17. BlackBillBlake

The vanity of Woman?

Political correctness aside though, we can only know things as they appear to us. That might be a more or less accurate perception depending on many different factors.

18. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I know the pc line on everything, my Mum was a bloody feminist. I speak for men. I don't know what it's like to be a Woman.

19. BlackBillBlake

^ I'm a bit of a bloody feminist myself in some ways - but you're right - I too don't know what it is like to be a woman. I assume though that there's a massive amount of experience which is shared by both sexes.

20. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

those ':eek: s are SO Chaucerian