Trump And The Nazis Are Winning, Soon It Really "did Not Happen"

Discussion in 'History' started by unfocusedanakin, Jul 7, 2017.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Mao put up some big numbers but in a country that populated? Not impressed.

2. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Keep it simple. Christmas has now become offensive to Non Christians. Its politically incorrect to say Merry Christmas because of those it now offends. Because it contains the word Christ in it. And represents a Christian concept. Even if doing so offends more Christian people than the Non Christians it appeases. Christians now can't say it without being admonished for it. Even if the Christian faith becomes a minority religion, its still what this country was founded on. Many laws written around in many cases. Maybe when it becomes a minority religion the pendulum will swing back to recognizing it more. Nobody seems to be trying to exclude Happy Hanukah or Happy Kwanzaa from our list of acceptable things to say. Yet lets assault the founding and majority religion in a country that was founded on its principles. See how that works for ya.

I hope even you can grasp that without your dissertation of the history of the Christian Crusades in the middle ages or some other Theological journey through time to espouse your smartness about why its OK and not really a problem in America.

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

If this was Allah being represented, you'd be sued by the ACLU. And the Muslims would not only put a hit out on you, your government would arrest you for a hate crime.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Funny! And in keeping with my point. There is, of course, no Guinness world records entry on mass killings by dictators, but the consensus among scholars is that Mao killed more than Hitler and Stalin combined. Ordinarily, Rummel would be the "go to" sourcefor "demicides" ( "the murder of any person or people by a government, including genocide, politicide, and mass murder" but his figure of over 77 million may be unduly influenced by anti-Communist sources. My 40 million figure is based on average estimates for the purges, Great leap Forward, Cultural Revolution, labor camps, and ethnic minorities (e.g., Tibetans) contained in published sources reported in Matthew White's Historical Atlas of the Twentieth Century. Twentieth Century Atlas - Death Tolls The exact figure might be challenged, but the point is there was enough of a body count to dwarf those attributable to western regimes and individuals. In places where "stayin' alive' is the main concern, our "First World" preoccupation with such things as liberty, justice, constitutionalism, and democracy and the welfare of minorities are luxury. I think it's important to prevent this country from falling prey to a system where that becomes our attitude as well.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Oh, please. Not he Fox news rant about Merry Christmas again. Christmas may be offensive to a few nutjobs, but anybody who wants to fight over that issue lacks the Christmas spirit. After all, there are other winter holidays, and if you don't know what religion a person has, it might be safer to wish them a happy holiday. Saying "Merry Christmas" to a Jew may not go over, so we have to ask ourselves is our real purpose to wish them well or annoy them. I, as a Christian,never take offense if anybody wishes me a happy or merry anything. I must say, I've never been greated by "Happy Hanukah, but I have wished that to Jewish friends. I was looking for examples of where we let Muslims in the U.S.get away with important things we clamp down on non-Muslims for.

But I must take issue with your remark that this country "was founded" on the Christian religion. A number of our founding fathers were deists who respected Christianity but were quite explicit in providing in the Constitution for no establishment of religion and no religious tests for office. The Treaty of Tripoli, ratified unanimously by Congress in 1797, declared (Art.11): "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." Those were the founding principles of this country.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    MeAgain likes this.
  6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The imaginary bullshit just keeps coming!!

Tyrsonswood and MeAgain like this.
  7. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

This is simply not reality.

MeAgain likes this.
  8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Frosty the snowzir disagrees.

9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

More imaginary bullshit then.

If you care to dispute this as non factual, that will be your right.

When the Pilgrims left England, they obtained permission from the King of England to settle on land farther to the south near the mouth of the Hudson River (in present-day New York). Because they chose to remain where they landed in New England, they needed a new permission (called a patent) to settle there. On November 11, 1620, needing to maintain order and establish a civil society while they waited for this new patent, the adult male passengers signed the Mayflower Compact.

Mayflower Compact : 1620
    Agreement Between the Settlers at New Plymouth : 1620
    IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN. We, whose names are underwritten, the Loyal Subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, &c. Having undertaken for the Glory of God, and Advancement of the Christian Faith, and the Honour of our King and Country, a Voyage to plant the first Colony in the northern Parts of Virginia; Do by these Presents, solemnly and mutually, in the Presence of God and one another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil Body Politick, for our better Ordering and Preservation, and Furtherance of the Ends aforesaid: And by Virtue hereof do enact, constitute, and frame, such just and equal Laws, Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions, and Officers, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general Good of the Colony; unto which we promise all due Submission and Obedience. IN WITNESS whereof we have hereunto subscribed our names at Cape-Cod the eleventh of November, in the Reign of our Sovereign Lord King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth, Anno Domini; 1620.

Signed,

The Mayflower Compact was a legal instrument that bound the Pilgrims together when they arrived in New England. The core members of the Pilgrims' immigrant group were Separatists, members of a Puritan sect that had split from the Church of England, the only legal church in England at that time. Others in the group, however, had remained part of the Church of England, so not all of the Pilgrims shared the same religion.

In 1802, John Quincy Adams described the agreement as “the only instance in human history of that positive, original, social compact” and that influenced the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. There was no other religion in existence in this country at that time. However it recognized there was more than one Christian religion. Hence the recognition of the Freedom to practice them freely.

No need to change the wording to allow other religions as we allowed the free practice of all religions or no religion. As the country grew with more migrants with more religions the words could stand as written. It does not however change the path that created it.

So that is the American path of religion based laws and ethics. Many consider this path as the history they wish to recognize. If you don't, that is your right.

I'm sure its all bullshit to the left voting population. So ignore it. It doesn't fit your agenda.

Not a word this came from FOX. I don't watch FOX. Nor CNN. They are both politically motivated formats. If FOX happened to have used it somewhere along the way and you can show me that evidence I'll accept it. Otherwise you're just making wild assumptions that the only people that disagree with you are brainwashed by some right wing nut job organization.

I don't go to church either. I'm not Christian. I share none of the religious undertones that drive their agendas. I just recognize why Christian people feel disrespected.

So this guy shouldn't be considered valid in this piece?

Say Merry Christmas, Not Happy Holidays | National Review

Yeah I know your response. Its a right wing nut job link I sourced. Sorry I don't find any left leaning sources that say its a problem. Obviously.

10. scratcho

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." That has been my only "agenda" since my grandmother taught it to me when I was 6 years old. Being human, I didn't always measure up to that which I have taken as my own credo, as life rolled on, but I tried and still try to follow it. I could not care less about christmas except to see the eyes of the little ones light up before they realize that much of life is bullshit and can be hazardous. Definitely not interested in religion , ancient or modern except to note that I think that it's a fine way to get power over others, make a lot of money and get to PLAY an exalted, "in-the-know" leader. (They're pretty damn good at wars too.)

11. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

NMRN, that does nothing to address the question of whether or not there is a conspiracy to get rid of Christmas.

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Nor does it establish the United States is founded on religion.

13. scratcho

Truth is in the eye of the beho----bedazzled.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't dispute the Mayflower Compact as non-factual. I dispute it as irrelevant. At the risk of getting us further off topic, I think it's something of a logical leap to go from the Pilgrims to the founding principles of this country. The Pilgrims were religious dissenters who founded a colony at Plymouth rock. Many of the early settlers were also religious dissenters, but many were not. I tend to think of them as historical curiosities, and of the U.S. Constitution as the founding document of the new republic. Legally, that's the case. The Constitution explicitly includes provisions against an establishment of religion and religious tests for office. It contains not a single passage indicating that this is a Christian nation. I also mentioned the Tripoli Agreement, ratified by a unanimous Congress in 1797, which explicitly states that the U.S. is not a Christian nation.

scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  15. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I know, but the instant you bring that up you know he's going to forget the point he was trying to make.

16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

:tearsofjoy:

17. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

There are definitely assumptions in the nation's founding that are based on religion. In the Declaration on Independence a Creator is assumed for example.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

18. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

So Merry Christmas it is. Sorry Hebrew's and anyone else who is not Christian. Our document separating us from England says Creator in it.

19. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

And why the fuck are we talking about this non issue again?

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

But note, it doesn't say Yahweh, the God of Abraham, or Jesus Christ. The person writing those words was Thomas Jefferson, and from his writings we know where he stood on the issue: "a wall of separation between church and state". Besides, the Declaration of Independence was not a founding document. I remember a letter to the editor of our local newspaper asserting a right to smoke weed based on the "pursuit of happiness". That's in the Declaration of Independence, but it won't hold water because it's not in the Constitution, and has no legal standing.