Canada Day: What Are Your Plans?

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by jpdonleavy, Jun 30, 2017.

1. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I plan to lie low. However, neighbours will have fireworks displays and that's fine. No objection from me. I'm also invited across the street for lunch on Monday. On Sunday I'll drive 60 miles to the hospital where my g/friend is in rehab.

They'll be going bonkers in Ottawa though, on Parliament Hill. Parliament, essentially, means 'talking place' from the French 'parler' to speak.Probably a lot of babies will be conceived and many people will get really really really drunk. They'll probably end up doing the hokey cokey at the British Embassy - NO - WE DIDN'T SEPARATE FROM THEM (we knew a good thing when we had it. We couldn;t have won the War of 1812 without them - nor wrestled Canada back from the grip of the French on the Plains of Abraham in - what was it - like 1763 maybe - Britain's General Wolfe hammered France's General Montcalm and Quebecers are still pretty pissed off about it and never fail to scowl at anglos - well not all of them do that.

It's not an independence celebration because independence came in stages. You'll recall that stage one is 'representative' government. A few members of the governor's council are chosen by election but it's still a clique (or click as some of our neighbour's to the south seem to call it, or maybe that's just in Beverley Hills). The next stage of 'responsible' government, by which time there's a legislature which controls the purse strings. Once you control the purse strings, the Governor's options are much more limited. However, it's still generally property holders and professionals who get to vote and participate - and finally . . .full D_E_M_O_C_R_A_C_Y, from the Greek 'demos' which means . . . I forget. Gimme a sec to look it up - people maybe.

OKAYYYYYYYYYY - it's the commoners, yep!

The common people of an ancient Greek state. 'In Sicily the tyrant is the ally of the rich and the foe of the demos' 'Then the reforms of Kleisthenes formed the basis of the democracy, meaning the rule of the demoi, or village councils of the Athens peninsula.'

A lot of commoners are stupid though so it's a mixed blessing. Authoritarian democracy like that of Singapore seems to be more snappy and functional but probably only a minority would agree

So, what are you doing for Canada Day?

(I'm particularly interested in what events Arizona might be planning)

70% of Canada Day swag is actually made outside Canada

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+canadian+parliament+buildings&tbm=isch&imgil=goiK5GlpsDbQMM%253A%253BeWUiHbKbxo8ubM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.reddit.com%25252Fr%25252FCascadia%25252Fcomments%25252F17ruln%25252Fcanadian_parliament_building_is_secret_cascadia%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=goiK5GlpsDbQMM%253A%252CeWUiHbKbxo8ubM%252C_&usg=__cUmD6j2oe4vpEMzeamRQEV9nhG0%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjPmNjrx-bUAhUBSmMKHbp3AhMQyjcIPw&ei=D8lWWY_VM4GUjQO674mYAQ&biw=1536&bih=706#imgrc=goiK5GlpsDbQMM:

! ! ! Parliament_Building,_Ottawa Ontario,_Canada.jpg

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ill be working on things just like i usually do

not much of a special day to me

my new canada 150 hat says made in china on the tag

1 person likes this.
  3. ahsorandy

ahsorandy Members

Hiding in the basement from the big bang!

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

well i was right...just got an emergency call someone wheel bearing failed so im working today as usual

hopefully get it done before the rain hits

5. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

We had all our rain this morning - this aft a little sun and much humidity (eastern Ontario). Went out onto my acre and cit a new path through the rain forest (which is what the woods feel like this year)

6. Watching the fireworks online. I live in Ottawa and have seen how nuts it gets downtown. Hell no.

7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I'm 50/60 miles SW - not every Canadian knows what a mile is but older ones do

We had two days of driving rain and mizle in between. Today it brightened early afternoon for awhile but snce then has periodically pissed down as though race horses were galloping across the sky as I'm sure my ancestors thought really did

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i drove into town to see the fireworks

it was raining on the way there...then a double rainbow and by the time i got there it was nice and the show went on.

9. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Good - glad it worked out.

Meant 'mizzle' (two zs) in previous - I have a sticky key

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Happy Canada day, you Canadians.

I'll be working this evening, and then heading up north to visit family for a few days.

1 person likes this.
  11. The fireworks were delayed a couple minutes due to the weather, but I was able to watch them on the CBC website. They were amazing.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Cool history lesson but I couldn't get past the second paragraph because I'm enjoying independence day weekend.

13. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

A little late responding, but I went out with my sister and her kids. A bunch of people in her neighbourhood set off fireworks in a park and had a big outdoor BBQ.