Awake Vs. Anesthetic

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pete's Draggin', Jun 30, 2017.

1. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I had an Endoscopy and the dotors put me out with anesthetic (Propofol)

For shits and giggles I tried my hardest to stay awake. The anesthesiologist said "your going to start feeling it"

I starred at the Gastroenterologist, concentrating on not falling asleep. My hearing became muffled and started ringing.
    Next thing
    Im waking up 20 mins later. Wtf, didn't even feel my eyes close. Didnt even dream either. Felt as if I was out for 2 seconds.

Im glad I was under during the procedure.

My wife had a port put into her chest for cancer treatment. The docotrs failed to put her under. She was awake for the procedure, they gave her just a local for the pain and told her to just look up, she was just fine with not being under.

There are some reports of people waking up during a major surgery“anesthesia awareness”. That would be not good in my book.

ZenKarma, Jeplay2y and Jeplay6u like this.
  2. David0301

David0301 Members

i would stay away from general anesthesia. in these days, it is possible to do brain and heart surgery under local anesthesia - i have seen it myself. In the US the medical industry is overusing g.a. It is even used for pulling wisdom teeth. There are many pages you have to sign when going under g.a. . You dont have (most) of these risks when taking local anesthesia. The risks of g.a. are often under-estimated. But , still people die every year because of g.a. complications during surgery. E.g. Kanye West´s MOther.

farmerdon likes this.
  3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My hubby woke up during his endoscopy.

Now, he says he will never have one again.

He said he heard the anesthesiologist ask if he was in pain.

He replied "Hurts like a motherfucker", and went back out.

He was awake long enough to remember the pain from it.

4. David0301

David0301 Members

waoo that must be an awful experience. i dont know anybody who went through that but i have seen reports on youtube from people all over the world reporting their g.a. wake-up-experience. All of them say that they are under trauma and can never forget that experience.

5. David0301

David0301 Members

the problem is that you can not move any muscle when waking up during surgery because the medication numbs everything up. So you can not give the doctor a sign that you are awake. You are doomed to go through the whole surgery hearing & feeling everything. must be horrible.

6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Having had a colonoscopy, I was grateful to be 'out' for the whole procedure. My only memory was before they started, seeing the Doctor standing beside a long black hose...now that was creepy.
    I have read that the more cannabis one uses, the more likely one is to 'wake up' during surgery.
    Not being a user, I was happy with the experience.

Recently I had my cataracts removed, and boy was I glad they put me under... the thought of someone messing with my eyes while awake was too much. First time they said I stayed under too long, but had no ill effects. The next time, for the second eye they used something else, and it was an easy procedure and I woke up and felt just fine afterwards.
    I have also learned it has a great deal to do with how healthy you are... the more messed up you are the more likely there are going to be problems.
    Bottom line, it's all about being healthy and staying that way.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've been lucky enough to avoid any real surgery so far, but if i did have to have a procedure done, i would sure as hell want to be unconscious for it. i'm a huge pussy when it comes to cutting people open and that sort of medical stuff.

ZenKarma likes this.
  8. Aerianne

I need to correct and say that hubby woke up during the colonscopy, not endoscopy.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was awake during both of my corneal grafts. Wide awake. With a bright light burning my eyes. Wide awake. For hours. Felt every one of those 75 stitches pulling my eye as she wove them in and out of my eye tissues.

I could have been knocked out, but I balls upped.

10. Aerianne

I didn't stay awake for the cutting out of the 5 teeth's roots several days before the daughter's wedding. I figured I needed the mental break even if it was only for an hour.

Irminsul likes this.
  11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Wasn’t it a propofol (Diprivan) overdose which killed Michael Jackson?

12. David0301

David0301 Members

by the way: i would stay away from colonoscopies. They are harmful and got absolutely no benefits. We can do a seperate thread on that. If you people like...

13. David0301

David0301 Members

yes it was

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Not sure if you know something I don't but a good friend of mine woke up during a hip replacement. He said he started yelling "I'm awake" (can you do that if everything is numbed) the anesthesiologist quickly put him back under. He remembers it well enough it appears. He said there was only some soreness during his brief alertness.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i would guess that in the situation of being cut open and body parts being replaced, your adrenaline might overtake whatever residual numbing you have. same as how people who are drunk or high suddenly sober up when confronted with extreme circumstances.

16. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Iv'e Had Both Eyes Done.....They Never Even Mentioned A GA To Me......:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

17. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

been awake for a bunch of surgeries....watched on a monitor while my doc fished out half a sewing needle out of my knee joint .....awake for 6 at least endoscopies...awake for a minor eye surgery....never been asleep at the dentist ever....we counting stitches...been stitched and stapled under locals

you don't get much face time with a surgeon at a teaching hospital....like zero...so when they are inserting the camera i drill them with questions they normally do not have time for.......a urologist spends maybe 90 seconds in the room explain stuff nd 20 minutes in the actual operating room so make it count

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I had 3 operations involving a surgery. First was removing a lymph node. Doc wiggled it in my face when it was done. Second was putting screws and nails in my leg. And was out for that.
    Last was to remove the nails. They asked if I want to be awake or out. I said awake. We go through the whole process. They roll me into the surgery room and some guy walks over and says "we have to put you to sleep"

Had stints put in. Was out for that....had them removed and was awake. That was an interesting trip to the docs.