Is Slut Shaming A Form Of Anti-Feminism?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by tommeem1, Jun 27, 2017.

1. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Also, is sticking together as women... one of the aspect of feminism?

I'm asking because I was watching this video on YouTube in which an actress called Taylor Swift an anti-feminist because she is often tearing other women down. For example, slut shaming Kim K because she posted nudes.

And in the comments of that video people were in agreement with what the actress said about Taylor Swift. But, some weren't in agreement, saying that slut shaming and women sticking together isn't one of the aspect of feminism.

I'm not a feminist. I don't really believe or stand for anything. I do want people to get along, but that's just not how life is. But, I'm curious as to what you all think about this topic.

2 people like this.
  2. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Why you guys being mean to me, huh? HUH?

1 person likes this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i can say, like 'duh'?

i have a low opinion of shaming anything other the aggressiveness
    (whishing to be feared, biggotry of every kind, belligerance, wishing to intimidate, ostentation, greed, these are all forms of what i mean when i use that term,
    they are also things that 'simple minded' ignorance also calls masculinity, and these are the things that earn contempt and demonstrate lack of moral character)

part of the offense to me is the implication that gender has anything to do with anything other them making babies.
    different folks are turned on by different things, that's just the nature of the universe,

that kind of destructiveness of shaming everything other then what really needs to be,
    contributes nothing to creating the kind of world i want to live in.

4 people like this.
  4. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Oh, I know slut shaming is bad. But, I want to know if you think it's anti-feminist to slut shame. I also want to know if women sticking up for one another is apart of feminism.

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Feminism is a glass that, long ago, someone threw against a brick wall, causing it to shatter into a thousand pieces.

The true meaning is lost, and has shattered into numerous offshoots. Basically, feminism is now relative, and therefore, I cannot accurately answer the OPs question.

But, if you can't criticize other women and be a feminist, revoke my feminist card right now. It's like the people who think you're anti-American for criticizing the government. Uh, no, that's actually what makes you totally American. So, is Taylor Swift anti-feminist because she spoke out about Kim Kardashian? Or is she a feminist because she stood up and voiced her opinion?

Who the hell knows. The whole thing's a goddamn farce nowadays anyway.

4 people like this.
  6. It can be. Some men become bitter because they're not getting sex and become misogynists. I don't go out of my way to shame any sluts in particular, but on the other hand sluts will insult the human intellect by the preposterous claim that all men are willing to sacrifice the intellect for a piece of ass.

So I will be true to myself, and if it makes sluts ashamed, so be it. Because they really aren't the psychologists that they think fucking has made them. But really I don't think it matters what they do. They're going to be stuck being human no matter how many guys they have sex with. It changes nothing. It's not shocking. It's just folly.

It seems like sex to a great extent has become a mutual agreement that everything else is bullshit. An agreement that selfishness is all we really amount to. Competition, selfishness...roles traditionally associated with men. So it seems to me that sluts are supporting the patriarchy more than anything else. The kind of men who objectify women could care less what position of power a woman has so long as everyone is putting out, and they still won't respect her mind. They'll always have the upper hand, therefore, but girls will think they're all just pals when really they're just being used.

You can be a powerful woman without being a self-centered, callous woman. Likewise you can be a powerful man. I do consider myself a feminist because I don't want to see women reduced like that. But some people call that caving into hatred liberation. I wish women would start supporting and rewarding noble men instead of assholes. Women really don't know how much power they have IMO. If you want a shitty world full of self-serving assholes...it's women's choice. Just keep giving them all the love and most men will succumb to treating you like you're a piece of shit.

2 people like this.
  7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Essentially less. However, it's founded on an atavistic fear by men that their DNA will be displaced by competitors' DNA. They will marry a woman to procreate (although they may not know that's the main reason) and be very proprietary about her virtue to ensure that only THEIR genes will be expressed in the offspring. With sluts, there's no guarantee of virtue - i.e. guaranteed onward transmission of their genes so sluttism is discouraged by society in general (though in Arab cultures it's much worse because they take Dylan's "Everybody Must get Stoned" very literally re. sluts.

Sluts in Belfast used to be called millies (worked in the linen mills) and scrubbers (cleaners). The classic rejoinder at a Saturday night dance when asking a millie to dance was "Och, take my mate; I'm sweatin'"

However, prior to marriage, sluts were very desirable. That's precisely when one DIDN'T want one's genes expressed.

However, a vulgar woman is much less attractive than a non-vulgar slut (and there are a few). Every slut comes from a background with a fair allotment of misery.

Re feminism. I believe in equal pay for equal work and a woman's right not to be called "Little Lady" by assholes.

8. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I actually see it as a kind of hyper-feminism...why? Because, feminism originally was all about women wanting to be treated fairly & equally and largely not being overly-objectified by men, this how however has morphed into the ludicrous self-defeating monster of women hating on other women because they suspect their actions are motivated by a need to pander to the sexual whims of lusty men-folk. Much like any cultural or political movement, their comes a certain point where it starts to rape it itself in the bum!

9. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

"slut shaming" is a pejorative term to start with.

It presupposes the existence of "sluts" - that is a word which is not only derogatory to women but is in my opinion just wrong. It is used by misogynists and bitter women.

I've never heard of the phrase before, but it is nasty, spiteful and says a lot more about the people who use it than the people they are talking about.

3 people like this.
  10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOL, post number 2?

At least have a couple guys reply before you try make them feel guilty ;)

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Why would I stick together with other women, based solely on them being women.
    You don't get special treatment just because we're the same gender.

Basically, if you're a dumb slutbag ho, I don't want anything to do with you.

3 people like this.
  12. morrow

morrow Visitor

Never heard of it before, sounds like bullying to me..

Why shame anyone? So what if someone does something you dislike? What's it to do with you, don't like it, turn the page, turn it off.. Tsk!

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't really care about anyone's sex life, none of my business

But in general, not speaking of slut shaming specifically - I dont like when women tear other women down.

But I also dislike the notion of female solidarity with ALL women just for the sake of feminism. Some people, men and women, are just horrible people

3 people like this.
  14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

It is very easy to sit on a pedestal and condemn people who are 'below' you, not so easy to live and let live. We all have a right to live our lives, and who's to say we are better than the next person? That pedestal can get pretty lonely as well.

1 person likes this.
  15. I'm not into belittling anyone...a slut can be a man or a woman I suppose. Really I don't think a word defines anybody. People are so much more than their sexual practices IMO, even if they want to be completely defined by them.

It would be one thing if they were just little rascals fucking the hell out of each other, but mostly they seem to me to have no such endearing qualities. In my experience they are cold and harsh as Hell.

If you think society's sexual ethics don't effect you and me you are dead wrong. Not about to tell anybody what to do...but we honestly need to look out for what kind of attitudes towards life we are validating. I don't know if all women who just want sex and care about nothing else are the definition of "sluts" per se, but they are a growing culture and we should beware of validating that. If we accept into our hearts the idea that it's cool and interesting not to give a shit about people's feelings...what's to stop pedophilia from becoming normalized in the next fifty years? Are we going to forego our moral compass altogether in favor of unlimited understanding and acceptance of everyone?

I honestly don't know how much I speak out of naivety, though. I don't pry into people's sex lives. But I look on the internet and I am horrified. Are all women being exclusively fucked in the ass, having dicks slapped across their faces, being gang banged? I honestly don't know who I'm talking to anymore, but the fact that people seem shocked by me of all people is kind of giving me the indication that this is so. Well if you want to see how that goes down, just look to the ancient cultures that devolved into this madness. Notice they're not around anymore? That's because it isn't a sustainable lifestyle. Just sayin'.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Is interesting most will talk a slut because of her sex life when the actual point of reference was topless photos, so this is going to get me to my next point.

All the girls, ladies and women in here... can you honestly say you've never been called a slut? Or heard that about someone else and figure well they must speak it of you too.

So if we can establish the differences between on one hand, a slut has a lot of sex, and on the other, topless photos makes you a slut then there's an obvious difference in how people enterpret the word and choose to express it.

When I was in high school it was a going around word, and at the age of 16-17 I can tell you that everyone and everything was a slut and it wasn't always meant to be taken in a derivative way.

A slut became a shit friend, or someone you just didn't get along with.

A slut became a chocolate wrapper that was hard to tear off the chocolate bar.

A slut was a car that wouldn't start.

Etc. etc. etc.

People will call a chick a slut just because they sleep with one person. Or you hear so and so is sleeping with so and so and your friends like "wha??? Fucken slut". Lol.

It's just a word I look at as derogatory but I wouldn't be offended by it.

17. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't believe in shaming anyone unless they ask for it. I am personally not a fun of sluts and skanks, but what people choose to do is their own business.

To me, being a slut is in direct contrast with true femininity. It's funny what feminists promote these days as supposedly... feminine??

18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Anti-feminism? Hmm. I think it depends on the source of the shaming. Getting after someone for negative behavior, assuming we agree that it is in fact negative behavior, is usually something done because you care for the individual, or feel motivated to uphold some kind of code of morals.

I don't want to come across as feminine here. I am male. I don't slut shame. But I do have a conscience when it comes down to it. I don't want some poor girl to disparage herself. :)

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I always thought that was you in your avatar. lol

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know if you're serious, but no. It isn't me.