How Come People Think When They Die They Go To Heaven?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by thefutureawaits, Jun 26, 2017.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The dimensions in String Theory are like a continuum of dimensions such as length and height. IIRC, the added dimensions are to account for all the fundamental forces as where the Standard Model of Particle Physics does not account for gravity.

So in this sense, "dimensions" has a different context than an supernatural "dimension" place such as Heaven and therefore it would not be hypocritical for one to acknowledge the possibility of the validity of String Theory, which presuming we had the technology and such could be a testable and verifiable idea, just as you can measure length and height.

However, this testability of String Theory seems like an impossible feat for beings confined to 3 dimensions, so I could see how one could look at it being hypocritical in the sense of there being no practical verifiable approach to test String Theory.

2 people like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm not using the idea of an after life to console my wasted life, I haven't wasted my life at all I'm all over it and realistically an afterlife only really makes you live life more because depending on the religious doctrine, what you do in this life is heavily reflected in the next, so you can't sit down in this life and do nothing.

Not me anyway.

Take the Saxons and Vikings for instant, they had to die gloriously in battle to reach their afterlife so they didn't sit around the campfire wasting their lives they trained and fought and they went into battle to die, they wanted to die because they would reach the golden halls up high when they did die.

That's why the Vikings and Saxons were so hard to defeat at the time because they went into battle to die, and you just couldn't trump that at the time.. how do you defeat an army that wants to die versus an army that doesn't?

I guess you run. :D

And so with newer religions of course stem from positive deeds. So you can't just sit around and waste your life and that's why people help out in shelters and scripture and things like this. Not everyone, but some you know? :)

But for what GB posted for me and this is where I always draw the line in the argument is that the science world is so infatuated with these theories but they can't even be tested. Or they can't test them. Like I just don't get it. How can you be so cock sure when you can't even test the theory you're theorizing.

So, "theoretical" and "hypothetical" science to me may as well be called "made up" science, I mean it works in theory, but we can't test it. But it's still true and you're dumb if you don't agree.

=p

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The term "theory" is significant in science but when it comes to Theoretical Physics and some of their ideas, I think they are quite lenient with the term in comparison to some of the other disciplines in science, which involve more rigorous testing of hypothesis before they can deduce a theory. Admittedly a lot of the math is well beyond my scope of understanding in Theoretical Physics, but even at that, to promote ideas which work on paper without the ability to test them, makes it a bit of a stretch to classify as a "theory" imo.

1 person likes this.
  4. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Since I've watched a show called American Gods, I've been wondering if Christianity/Catholicism are the only religions that believe in heaven and hell, and believe in a devil.

So, if anyone can answer this for me, that would be great. Thanks.

Also, I think people believe this because they want to. I also think some people are scared to think it can be anything else, other than that. For example, thinking that after you die... there is nothing. Some people do not want to think that, out of fear.

I don't believe in anything. But, I do hope that there is no life after death, AT LEAST FOR ME. I'm not applying this to everyone else. I've had a horrible life, and I still get hit by life everyday. I get hit by people, my health or better yet, lack of, bad situations, etc. So, I'm done living in any sense of the word. So, I would really appreciate no existence after death. But, we will see what will happen to me after I die.

5. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Oh, and I was raised Catholic, then converted to Christianity. Before, I decided to believe in nothing. But, I'm not saying that nothing exist either. I'm just saying that I don't care enough to examine the possibilities, or lack of. I don't even believe in ghosts, and stuff like that. I mean, like I said... I don't not believe in them either. I just don't care either way. Believe whatever you want, or don't believe it. We will see sooner or later what is truth, or lack of.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'd agree that String Theory is more of a hypothesis, however that does not equate to a fabricated story, but rather is an unsubstantiated claim. As far as I can tell, "theories" such as this are more the result of a faith in Math, rather than science.

1 person likes this.
  7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Part of the problem with superstring theory is that it would require such enormous energies to test. For example, one way to test it directly would be to build a big supercollider...but it would have to be the size of the solar system! Another way would be to observe and measure high energy phenomena that occur naturally in the universe, assuming that there are any. Our best bet would be if there were low energy consequences of string theory that could be measured in the lab...but that is a big if, plus the predictions would have to differ from predictions already made by current theory in order to be sure.

Faith and trust are two different things. I don't have any faith at all in science (or religion either), but I do trust it because it works. Science cures diseases and increases our lifespans; provides safe, plentiful food; brings us such wonders as the Hubble Telescope, TV, cell phones, the internet, etc.; allows us to predict such things as the upcoming solar eclipse; and has finally given us an accurate picture of our place in the cosmos. To me this is amazing. Since humans have walked the Earth stories have been told of how we came to be and what our place in the world was. It's only been in the past few centuries that the true picture has been unveiled, each generation standing on the shoulders of the previous, and it has been because of science. To repudiate science is to forsake that which is our birth-rite.

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/scienceflowchart

4 people like this.
  8. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Puff is right. Science has faith, a belief without concrete evidence and people follow it. You trust scientists word unconditionally. Followed without question or any concrete evidence regarding our origins or existence. People simply trust the written words of individuals they do not know, just like all religions. It gives us a meaning to our origins and an explanation as to why we exist today. It is a religion.

9. I wish you didn't feel this way aoabai. I'm sure life is more interesting with you in it.

I'm finding it weird at the moment how we're all a part of life. How bizarre. :/ I don't think there is a way to be a part of death, really. We were all a part of life, for better or worse. Strange how something so painful can be so beautiful.

Science isn't working alone in this, though. Without philosophy science is blind. I think there is a danger of putting too much faith in the power of the human mind just because we're happy with technological advancements.

10. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Out of more than 7 billion? And what happens after 100 years?

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Islam believes in them. So does Zoroastrianism, which probably gave them to Christianity via Second Temple Judaism. So do some forms of Buddhism, although their concepts of them are different from the Abrahamic.
    http://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/303.htm
    http://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org/qa/qa_hhe.htm
    http://peopleof.oureverydaylife.com/heaven-hell-buddhism-2598.html
    http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/index.php/Buddhist_concept_of_heaven_and_hell

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Many aspects of Science require evidence, even things like String Theory are formulated initially based on observable evidence. So people generally don't accept science "unconditionally", in fact most studies are re-tested by different teams to see if they get the same results, in attempts to check any bias or oversights that may have happened in the initial study. Scientific Studies are usually constructed in such a way, that even you or I could test them assuming we had the same procedures and evidence at the ready, to see if it supports the scientist's hypothesis or theory. However it's not practical for us, particularly those of us who are not doing science professionally, to retest every single science theory there is. So we may turn to the experts, trust they have all the proper credentials, which is usually publicly available information for us to decide and make a decision on.

Even if you put trust in a lot of science, as I do myself, I still find it worthwhile to critically analyze much of the way Science is relayed to us. For instance, if there is an article that makes a significantly bold claim for science, one that immediately comes to mind is that last year or so, some articles were claiming with headlines that Astronomers likely found an Alien Megastructure, if the Abstract Paper is available, it's often good to check that and see how much of that is the actual claims by the scientist(s) or how much of that is Journalistic embellishment.

It's just odd to me that people like you are so unabashedly critical of science on the internet and computer, when you are doing it through a medium that is the result of science.

2 people like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is so ridiculous. Science is evidence based. That is literally what science is - accumulated knowledge based on what has been observed and tested, and observed and tested again

I agree with what guerilla said regarding some more abstract theoretical science that cannot be tested, take that branch of science with a grain of salt if you must

But particularly in this day and age with the internet,you don't have to take someone's word for it. You can look up the evidence yourself! That is the beauty of science...you dont have to believe x and y until you find evidence to support it

14. Science itself is no problem. Just a method of exploring the natural world. It's not even that brilliant: hypothesize, test, experiment, verify. We act like we're so fucking smart. How stupid are we that it took us ten thousand years to humble ourselves.

And yet we fall back into our old ways, trusting monkeys trapped forever in three dimensions to be the ultimate authorities on life and the universe. Just more baseless superstition. Anyone who thinks outside the box ought to be burned at the stake.

1 person likes this.
  15. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Bedlam, I am far from critical of science, I am critical of the science behind the said science. There is a difference. Not sure what kind of people you think people like me are.

So which parts of string theory is proven and what does this tell you about the earth and its creation?

String theory says that in the universe energy and matter consists of one dimensional strings. Now these string supposedly are a quintillion times smaller the ihydrogen atom, so in other words it is too small to even detect, yet we have evidence for this? to find strings in a particle accelerator would require millions more times of energy than what has been needed to identify boson. Basically it is impossible to prove or disprove this. If you can't prove or disprove we assume it is true?

So what does this all mean?

Well this theory is hard to pin down but it tries to explain without any evidence the theory of everything and how it is created.

String theory attempts to reconcile the theory of relativity with quantum physics, but does not succeed.

It speculates that every single objects in our universe is put together with membranes and vibrating strings of energy.

Do not forget that extra dimensions to the universe must exist according to string theory, a parallel universe.

Another possibility if any of this proves to have merit is with the anthropic principle! Then scientists can say that humanity exists as an explanation for physical properties of our universe.

Sounds like a religion to me! It has all the elements. Looks to explain the creation of the universe and humans. The beginning, our beginnings.

Or is there some other theory? in science/religion that explains or attempts to explain your existence and the universe that you are referencing. One which you fully understand and is a proven fact! Please enlighten us all.

It seems to me that people need to understand their creation and have faith in something even if they do not understand it or it doesn't make sense Call yourself a scientist and you are automatically believed. Just like people who believe the word of the bible, Quran, Torah, etc.

I am not saying it isn't possible, but I am saying I don't know, just like scientists don't know. But there is hope, this gives people some imagined hope to fulfill a need to understand their existence. They believe without understanding, religiously!

1 person likes this.
  16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How can a bottom ocean dweller ever see the stars? They can't. How are we to know whether there are other dimensions or not when we are limited to where we are...and cannot see them?...and not everything can be measured. Can human emotion be measured...or a thought? or a dream , for instance?

My philosophy is that whatever gets you through the night to believe or not to believe is fine with me......whatever brings you peace......and makes you a better person.

I just do not like anyone trying to force what they believe on everyone else or impeding progress with their beliefs...

To each their own..

I do not have to believe in a reward or punishment system to treat others as i would like them to treat me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

It's just much more comforting to believe that...it gives many people a certain meaning and purpose which they wouldn't otherwise have.

1 person likes this.
  18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

In your prior post, in which I responded to, you didn't mention anything about String Theory, which led me to think you were suggesting Science in general is a religion. To use a microcosm of an example to put that to rest, I mentioned it was amusing you use the medium of the computer and internet to make such a claim, I'll demonstrate how understanding science differs from religious faith in this context. I trust that if I put the letter b in between an open bracket [ and a closed bracket ] followed by some text and then followed by another set of b and brackets with a / preceding the latter b it will change the text to a bold font.

For instance Science is not a Religion.

I know this not because I just take it on faith, but rather, understanding that within the bbCode language which this site uses for posts, and the specific protocols it follows, utilizing those characters display that styling.

There are actually alternative Theories of Everything in Theoretical Physics such as Loop Quantum Gravity. This is one reason why I think your claims of "unconditional" acceptance of String Theory in the scientific community is rather uninformed. String Theory may not even be the overwhelming consensus among Theoretical Physicists. I do not claim to be an expert on String Theory or LQG though however...
    I even noted some of the potential limitations of practical implications in String Theory in Post #24

I even said a couple pages back that I viewed String "Theory" as more of a hypothesis. I think it's speculative elements don't necessarily make it equivalent to believing in the supernatural the way the vast majority of religions texts do but this we can agree on, that there is practically no chance of such physical evidence of certain requirements such as gravitons being discovered anytime within our lifetimes.

2 people like this.
  19. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Everything related to how we began and how the universe was formed is all stories or an idea someone came up with in hopes of explaining the origins of man. How the earth was formed. You could view Jesus as a scientist in his time. Who wrote of his observations and successes he had in healing the sick and easing someone's pain.

There are a lot of things in the bible that have scientific explanations and can be proven.

Unlike the Big Bang theory which is more a hypothesis too but people call it a theory.
    Evolution too.

A god is not required for a belief to be considered a religion. All that is required is a belief in something that helps you to understand your existence that may or may not be based on facts,

Humans have an inherent need to understand their existence, why and how they came to be. They need to have faith in something wether that be coming from goo, mushrooms, aliens, god, apes, or string. We have a need for that faith, understanding of where we come from wether proven or not.

20. Scratched

Scratched Members

I wonder, has anyone else had dreams of visits from departed family members? and if so, how many would just dismiss them as "just a dream".

A year or so ago, I had a dream that I was at my Grandfather's shop...it was mostly clean (that's been a while ago haha), my Grandparents were talking to some people I didn't know.

An older lady came to me, I knew somehow she was a past family member. Don't know why, I just did. We started talking about our lives here, how other departed family was, how the ones now alive are doing. I asked her if she had seen my daughter, she said "oh yes, she's so special and smart, and that I'd done a good job with her with what we've been through". We kept talking and after a while we were walking toward the back door, she was going outside. I wanted so much for her to stay, but she said it was time to leave, I mustn't go outside, to hang in there and all will be good, and I asked if I would see her again..."Oh yes, someday". Woke up with tears in my eyes. I told my parents about it, they dismissed it as "just a dream".

Then in their living room while watching tv, during a commercial I was looking up at pictures family, past and present, and I saw her!!! She had her hair up and was dressed up in the pic and older, but was definitely her.

She was my Great-Great Grandmother.

2 people like this.