Eek! Did I Dry Out My Hair?!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by fundoo, Jun 23, 2017.

1. fundoo

fundoo Members

Soooo, I got really overconfident and I think I did way too much Baking Soda in my deep clean today. I still added ACV and even finished the bottle in my rinse. Ughh. I THINK it helped, but not enough...

Anything I can do at this point?? Do I need to get more ACV or should I just leave it all alone? What about applying oils?? (I usually don't like doing this after cleaning, because I don't want to add oil right back into the cleaned out dreads, but I'm feeling so dry! :/)

Help!!

Thanks! :)

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Use No More Than Half A Tablespoon In A 1.25 Liter Coke Bottle.........How Much Did You Use..??.. :)

Cheers Glen.

3. fundoo

fundoo Members

NOT that. lol idk how much water i use (i really need to get the measurement!) but it is also in quarts, so then i have to convert....ok, so...

8 or 9qts if I'm being generous equals like 8.5 liters and I used, meh, like 4TBS so...about right...maybe a little more and the TBS were probably much bigger than an actual TBS (in US anyway). So, yeah. lol It was a bit much! I usually do maybe 2-3 of those spoons, but feel like I add more. :p

But I just did a bit more ACV. Honestly, I probably overreacted (this happens :p), and/or maybe keeping the towel on the wet washed hair might have helped keep the ACV in longer (?? ?) Maybe. :D Because it seems kinda ok now. Maybe scalp is still dry though.

Hey! It's funny how my current formed dreads are tightening up but the loose hair is still super loose. Wait, funny?? or just frustrating??! lol

Also, Glen, thought you might get a kick out of this one...just be sure you check the comments too. ^^ Cheers!

https://www.futurederm.com/3-reasons-why-baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar-destroy-your-hair-and-what-to-use-instead/

4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Sometimes I Slip With The Packet And Put A Bit Too Much In........With What I Call The Correct Amount

The Water Remains Clear.......If The Water Is Cloudy (approx 1 or more tablespoons) It Will Sting My Eyes

And Cause Bloodshot Eyes For Hours After...... :bigcry:

Cheers Glen.

5. fundoo

fundoo Members

hmm, and here i thought it was supposed to be cloudy! :D

6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Another clue, GLENGLEN is an aussie with dreads :)

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

2 dreads to be exact.

;)

8. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Apparently using baking soda, apple cider vineager screws with your ph. So, that probably why it's so dry. I would recommend using any oil of your choosing as a deep hair conditioner. So, apply it on dry hair, and leave it for a couple of hours. I prefer coconut oil, or castor oil. There is another oil, but I can't remember right now. Let me get my fatass up and go check what the name of this oil is. I'll tell you in the next post. But, anyways... you can also use raw avocado. Whenever I'm super dry ANYWHERE on my body... I just blend up some avocado, to make it really smooth and paste-like... and apply it on that area. It works perfectly.

9. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Kukui oil.

10. fundoo

fundoo Members

Never heard of it. Doesn't mean it's not a good one tho. Yeah, the pH thing, well the AC V acid is supposed to balance the baking soda base. So, I go with that, but clearly I did too much b.s. (haha story of my life! Too much b.s.! :p) The other thing I did not have this time was lemon juice, also an acid, which also neutralizes the base of the b.s., so I lessened my chance for success even more without it. :/